• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

How Buffy as a series is ended yay or nay ?

Btvs fan

Potential
Ok so Buffy ends with both Angel and Spike still hanging around but she is with neither. She, Willow and Xander are now drifting/drifted apart with there own lives. She herself is now a cop with Faith.
So as the end to BtVS the series, leaving the rest of S12 out it. Is the actual ending a good way to end it or not, Yay or Nay ?

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
I look at the end of S12 and compare it to the end of S7. Buffy has survived yet another apocalypse. She is surrounded by everyone who was with her at the end of S7. She is yet again single and recently had a significant moment with her two vampire exes, just like in S7.
Yet in the intervening years (6?) she has undergone little in the way personal growth.

And that's the problem. Think of Buffy at the end of S1. Compared to Buffy at the end of S3. And contrast that with her character at the end of S5. And finally take stock of her at the end of S7.
It can be argued that Buffy's story could've been left alone after any of those significant milestones; surviving her first prophesied death, surviving high school and graduating, sacrificing herself for her sister/the world, changing the world by no longer being 'one girl in all the...'
Those Buffy's had been through major things in the intermittent years. Her character had grown and changed, the stories that were told and the struggles that we watched were significant.

The main problem with the comics is that they never reinvented themselves like the show did every couple of years. Although S8 had problems, and had elements that were utterly bonkers, it was at least daring and shook things up a bit.
Once Buffy and co ended up in San Francisco their story more or less stagnated. Did she undergo any significant changes? No. The biggest development (and the most interesting) is that she joined the SF police when she was thirty. That was interesting.

So...the ending was good enough, but almost everything that came before was a massive missed opportunity in terms of story-telling. Pity.

To be fair I would say that some other characters DID go through significant, welcome and organic growth during the comics run. Faith, Xander, Willow to name three.

Btvs fan

Potential
I look at the end of S12 and compare it to the end of S7. Buffy has survived yet another apocalypse. She is surrounded by everyone who was with her at the end of S7. She is yet again single and recently had a significant moment with her two vampire exes, just like in S7.
Yet in the intervening years (6?) she has undergone little in the way personal growth.

And that's the problem. Think of Buffy at the end of S1. Compared to Buffy at the end of S3. And contrast that with her character at the end of S5. And finally take stock of her at the end of S7.
It can be argued that Buffy's story could've been left alone after any of those significant milestones; surviving her first prophesied death, surviving high school and graduating, sacrificing herself for her sister/the world, changing the world by no longer being 'one girl in all the...'
Those Buffy's had been through major things in the intermittent years. Her character had grown and changed, the stories that were told and the struggles that we watched were significant.

The main problem with the comics is that they never reinvented themselves like the show did every couple of years. Although S8 had problems, and had elements that were utterly bonkers, it was at least daring and shook things up a bit.
Once Buffy and co ended up in San Francisco their story more or less stagnated. Did she undergo any significant changes? No. The biggest development (and the most interesting) is that she joined the SF police when she was thirty. That was interesting.

So...the ending was good enough, but almost everything that came before was a massive missed opportunity in terms of story-telling. Pity.

To be fair I would say that some other characters DID go through significant, welcome and organic growth during the comics run. Faith, Xander, Willow to name three.
Now I know I might be alone on this but for me the bit that worked for me was her/Willow and Xander each drifting apart into there own lives. That worked for me as it happened to me. People I was close with in school I wasn't out if it and at the same time I had people who I didnt get on with at school I became close after it. Certainly by 30 I have them on my FB and that's pretty much it.

Your right about the similarity to Chosen (though chosen had big issues too imo) minus the cookie dough speech (thank God) . They could've done something different instead. Buffy is what 30, she's already aged past both Vampires who are what 26/27. She wants children which she can't have with either guy. You think they could have mentioned that instead. It seemed like it was done so both Shipper groups were left happy. I say that as Spuffy fan.

I agree about Faith, I thought her comics (and the Brian Lynch Spike ones) were the best in the whole series. I tried to avoid talking about S12 as a whole because I thought the season was terrible and tried to focus on just the ending but your point about her becoming a cop being the most interesting thing resonated with me. It's not that interesting but compared to everything else in this season it was. Though I think it might be more about her and Faith which should've happened a lot sooner imo like on the show.

brinkster130
brinkster130
I totally agree with you about finding Buffy/Willow/Xander drifting apart realistic.

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
Yay and nay. Honestly after 12 seasons and 20 odd years with the character I was glad to see a reasonably happy ending. I don't actually think it did show the scoobies drifting apart either. They're family. Might not be able to spend as much time together but I didn't get any kind of vibe that they wouldn't be close.

Unfortunately despite my personal preference for a happy ending it was quite weak in many ways. Firstly the shipper pandering was just ridiculous. Pick one, pick the other, pick someone else or have everyone move on! Don't just leave them all hanging about because you're scared of a backlash. I'm also not convinced by Buffy the cop either. It was a nice throw back to the show but I just don't see her taking orders. I actually think the actual reckoning described by Harmony would have been a more epic ending. Very tragic but it actually had more heart and I thought it was better thought out.

Btvs fan

Potential
Yay and nay. Honestly after 12 seasons and 20 odd years with the character I was glad to see a reasonably happy ending. I don't actually think it did show the scoobies drifting apart either. They're family. Might not be able to spend as much time together but I didn't get any kind of vibe that they wouldn't be close.

Unfortunately despite my personal preference for a happy ending it was quite weak in many ways. Firstly the shipper pandering was just ridiculous. Pick one, pick the other, pick someone else or have everyone move on! Don't just leave them all hanging about because you're scared of a backlash. I'm also not convinced by Buffy the cop either. It was a nice throw back to the show but I just don't see her taking orders. I actually think the actual reckoning described by Harmony would have been a more epic ending. Very tragic but it actually had more heart and I thought it was better thought out.
Not saying they are enemies just that they have there own lives

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
I think the ending was a missed opportunity. Since they knew they were rebooting it, I would have loved a "6 Feet Under" type ending.

katmobile

Potential
Ok so Buffy ends with both Angel and Spike still hanging around but she is with neither. She, Willow and Xander are now drifting/drifted apart with there own lives. She herself is now a cop with Faith.
So as the end to BtVS the series, leaving the rest of S12 out it. Is the actual ending a good way to end it or not, Yay or Nay ?
On balance yay I think we're given enough leeway to sail whatever ship we want and it's positive and I love with idea of Fuffy shared future even though I don't ship them.

sosa lola

Scooby
Now I know I might be alone on this but for me the bit that worked for me was her/Willow and Xander each drifting apart into there own lives.
There's a difference between mere high school friends and what Buffy had with Xander and Willow. Xander and Willow were more family than just high school friends. Heck Xander is sort of her brother-in-law now. The father of her niece. He is family.

Willow and Buffy lived together for years now. They, along with Xander, helped raise and protect Dawn. This bond is far more than just a high school friendship.

Not saying they are enemies just that they have there own lives
Having their own lives doesn't equal drifting apart. Buffy, Xander and Willow see each other on a daily basis. If not daily, then weekly. It's not like they only see each other in holidays.

katmobile

Potential
Is Fred In heaven? That's my answer.
It's clear from what Angel says that Illyria will come back when she's killed enough demons so things are safe enough to open the portal. Fred is still in there acting as her soul, her conscience but it'll be like she's laying dormant. I think she'll return.

Top Bottom