• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

How could Cangel have worked?

nightshade

Plotting and planning
Staff member
Black Thorn
I love Cangel, right up until Cordelia leaves with Groo. I know that it's all behind the scenes stuff that really caused the drama, but if we forget about that, how should they have progressed the relationship to make it more substantial.

nightshade

Plotting and planning
Staff member
Black Thorn
For me Cangel starts towards the end of season 1, and builds up during seasons 2 and 3, I don't like the end of season 3 or anything really after her return from when she left with Groo, but they were becoming close and really going past the friendship level before that. I would have liked them to become closer, more of the training we had at the end of Fredless, more talking between them. I don't mind her taking over a mother role with Connor, but Connor going to Quortoth really broke that.

badsister

Angel's Avenger
Cangel could have worked as non-romantic thing? Because all that stuff in s3 seemed really forced to me. Also I love Cordy too much for her to be Buffy's sloppy seconds.

Black Thorn
It might have worked if Angel was at all interested in Cordelia when she was attracted to him during the early days of Buffy. Or if Cordelia hadn't completely moved past any interest in Angel during the mid section of Buffy. No way of making it work on Angel for me, that ship had sailed.

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Staff member
Sineya
I think it could have worked if they showed us them falling for each other a little more. Maybe more one on one scenes where we see them really getting to know each other.

I don't think Cangel could've worked for several reasons:

1. We know Buffy is his true love.
2. Cordelia would never settle for being second best.
3. Due to Angel's curse, if he is ever truly happy then Angelus comes out to play which is bad, hence why he and Buffy can't be together. However, Angelus' appearance become a marker of the relationship. No Angelus means Angel is not truly happy which then kind of sucks the romance out of the relationship. Add in the fact he had that true happiness with his ex-girlfriend, it kind of means that any relationship he has post-Buffy will never make him feel the way Buffy made him feel.

Jam

Pepper spray is just so passé
I agree with @brinkster130 – there just wasn't much for build-up and by the time the show was pushing this romance, it was more tell than show so I could never really believe them as a romance. In the first two seasons, Cordelia would often bring up Angel's curse, the danger of Angelus, and what it would mean in his romantic relationships; Angel being a vampire played a part in his break-up with Buffy because of course it would be an issue! These problems are really never brought up regarding C/A, so when the show starts trying to sell them as this grand love (by using other characters) it's just not believable in my eyes. Up until season three, it felt like Angel was just as close with Doyle, Wesley, and Gunn as he was with Cordy.

white avenger

white avenger
The way that it was building up, if it hadn't been for the ill feelings between Joss and Charisma over her pregnancy, Cangel might have happened in Season 5, with Angel sleeping with Cordy instead of Nina. I don't think that it would have been the kind of earth shattering, soul wrenching (literally) affair that defined Bangel. but, as Wes pointed out, 99.99999 % of the adult relationships between men and women throughout history have been based on "almost perfect happiness." That would probably be enough for the two people concerned, even if the fans disapproved, and since when has Joss really cared about actually pleasing his fans?

SES SA

Potential
For me, I don't think it could have worked. Those two, I just don't see it. I can't understand why it was OK for Xander and Buffy to be platonic friends but Angel and Cordy had to be more. Write a new character to be Angel's love interest. That's my solution.

EarthLogic

"she went as limp as an overcooked piece of pasta"
Black Thorn
I can maybe see it working perhaps in S5 if they'd had a proper, slow buildup to it over the course of the show through which the characters grew while still retainign their core personalities, but that's a strong 'maybe'. I can't envision how it could have got there from the type of brother-sister dynamic they'd had up until S3. Honestly, I'd have much rather have seen their platonic bond deepen and strengthen. It would be far more original and meaningful than the obvious 'male lead gets with chief female character' trope.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Really when it comes down to it its not just the execution that was the problem (although that was the big one), it was total lack of romantic chemistry. Some couples have it and some don't and DB/CC never really clicked for me, their scenes- even the 'full on' ones like in 'Waiting In The Wings' just didn't work.
To be honest Cordelia never really clicked romantically with anyone other than Xander (and maybe Doyle a bit).

MarieVampSlayer

Bloody hell, Sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers..
Sineya
I agree with @thetopher. The lack of chemistry between the two actors was way to present for me to ever engaged in this pairing. It's like even the actors knew this was forced and made no sense for their respective characters.

WillowFromBuffy

Extra flamy candles!
The weird thing is: Cangel should have worked. It just didn't. It is my two favourite characters. The chemistry between them is amazing. I have no problem believing they care for each other. Who would have thunk it only took ghost possession, Groo, Jasmine, Conndelia and a whole lot of cringy romantic dialogue to mess up the biggest no-brainier in television.

At the end of You're Welcome, when Cordelia says, "There are no people like us," I ship it so hard.

I kinda wanna blame the inclusion of Fred for the downfall of Cordelia. It felt as though they didn't know what to do with Cordy after Fred was added. At the face of it, they appear to be very different characters, but really there is a lot of overlap in what they brought to show.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
I alwasy thought Cordelia was too much of a pragmatic realistic to ever pursue anything with Angel. Sure he's attractive but she knows the story with him and Buffy and why it didn't work, so why did she even entertain it?
I still don't get what Angel was thinking? Maybe he was so desperate to move on after Buffy died that he started beliving the ramblings of Fred and Lorne....

Cangel1987

♥ Cangel ♥
Of course it would have worked - if some were a little bit more open! Sure, the storyline of it was not really good written special when Groo cames back! There I would have wished that Cordelia would not have gone with him. But you have to read between the lines.

I get upset if I read Cangel feels forced - and that Buffy is Angels " true love " oh and the thing with Cordelia would be his second choice! It doesn't matter which number you are, as long as you two love each other!

oh and the thing with Cordelia would be his second choice! It doesn't matter which number you are, as long as you two love each other!
Of course but I think that when people say that they just think that being the second choice is not something really pleasant. I strongly believe that when you love someone with passion, with all your heart, then NO ONE should be ahead this person, he/she should be your first priority in your life along with take care of yourself of course. Can we really build a life with a person while we know there is someone on earth we love more ? I guess it's debattable, but I don't think it's possible or it must be really hard. And let's face it, if tomorrow Angel have the opportunity to live an entire life with Buffy, I have no doubt he will take the opportunity.

Last edited:
Top Bottom