• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

How did Connor feel about Angel?

Kana

Soulless human
Some fans seemed to think Connor was one note: I hate Angel, wangst. However, I always felt his feelings towards his father were complex. He seemed to bond with Angel a bit in Season three and actually feel more relaxed with him. When Holtz saw this, he seemed guilty and we see for the first time he was genuinely conflicted. Also in Season 4, Connor seemed genuinely hurt over the thought of Angel not "wanting" him.

CONNOR
Because you won't take me back to the hotel. They don't want me there, do they. Angel doesn't want me there.
In Habeas Corpses, Connor calls Angel "dad" in a way where he's really looking for meaning and looking to get that meaning from his father.

What are your thoughts? Why do you think Connor worked so hard to find Angel in the first place?

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Sineya
Connors feelings towards Angel were complex. He was taught only to hate Angel, but probably didn't really gave a good understanding of why he himself should feel that way. Only to find out that the man he was taught to hate was actually his father and the man who raised him did so out of spite and revenge. Everything he believed to be true was a lie.

Since he grew up without Angel, there was no paternal attachment, but when he returned and learned the truth it was clear he was aware of that lack of attachment and wanted to form some type of bond with Angel. I also think Connor had some conflicting feelings about that desire. On the one hand, he knew Angel was his father and was naturally curious (hopeful) about that relationship, but on the other he was a stranger, and he saw that Angel's life just kept going after his abduction (confusion, anger). Questions like 'did Angel miss me?' and 'did he try to get me back?' would have been normal.

I think Connor worked so hard to find Angel because he wanted answers about himself. Where he came from, who he is, does he have family, was he loved etc. Having everything you believed to be true taken away probably left Connor searching for any type of answers in hopes of clearing up the confusion and giving his life some sort of purpose.

EarthLogic

Scooby
Black Thorn
Only to find out that the man he was taught to hate was actually his father
He knew that from the very beginning. He emerges from the portal with a 'Hi Dad' (plus a big stakey weapon thing pointed straight at Angel of course). Holtz made sure Connor knew who Angel was - it was part of his plan to screw with him.

brinkster130
brinkster130
Ah, yes, you’re right.

Dottystar

Townie
I believe that Connor was a wasted character and therefore extremely annoying. Firstly we know that when he first came back from the hell dimension of course he hated Angel. But let’s not be confused about why. It’s clear that Holtz used the truth to twist Connor. The truth about Angel’s past and he also made sure that Connor always knew he was the bastard son of Angel and another vampire. I have seen posts on this site that say that Holtz doted on Connor but that’s not true. Connor describes being tied to a tree at age 5 and left alone to escape
And track Holtz. Holts would never have done that with his own son. Let’sbe Clear that what love Holtz developed for Connor it was never more that the hate he had for Angel and ultimately Connor too. He abandoned Connor in the end simply to compete his revenge on Angel.

But what makes Connor annoying and an u developed character is that he simply shows no common sense at all. We are made to believe that Connor hates Angels because of the evil things he has done when he was Angelus but that’s not really the issue. It’s not about Angel being evil. Connor has a chip on his shoulder because Angel left him with that monster Holtz as he sees it. We see Connor working with Fred and Gunn to fight evil but he still betrays and ultimately tries to kill them for Jasmine. Connor always knew what jasmine was but his selfish need to belong makes him kill people for her. Ultimately Connor is more evil than Angel because he has a soul while he is slaughtering an innocent women to help Cordelia give birth. So we know it’s not because Angel was evil or even because he killed Holtz ‘s family that Connor hates him. To me its simply Connor being a selfish jealous little brat who only ever learned to fight monsters but never learned to think about someone else like Angel did. Connor is not a champion and doesn’t have the capacity to ever be one. Why is that when the Angel posse try to include him and love him he rejects them but some maggot face demon comes along and he jooins her without questions and knows she is at least evil but he doesn’t care. Because she makes him feel wanted. Connor is a colossal
Disappointment as the son of Angel. He is small minded, selfish, hateful and kinda dumb. So what he was raised in a hell dimension. He is part demon and has powers that make him stron g enough to survive it clearly. So why do we keep thinking he is some poorly misunderstood teenager. He is a jerk who never grew up and consistently picks the wrong side simply because they stroke his ego. Had the writers thought ahead they may have realized that Connor presented and opportunity to have this series go on much longer. Instead they made him into gross 2
Dimensional
Character that I can not stand.

Connors feelings towards Angel were complex. He was taught only to hate Angel, but probably didn't really gave a good understanding of why he himself should feel that way. Only to find out that the man he was taught to hate was actually his father and the man who raised him did so out of spite and revenge. Everything he believed to be true was a lie.

Since he grew up without Angel, there was no paternal attachment, but when he returned and learned the truth it was clear he was aware of that lack of attachment and wanted to form some type of bond with Angel. I also think Connor had some conflicting feelings about that desire. On the one hand, he knew Angel was his father and was naturally curious (hopeful) about that relationship, but on the other he was a stranger, and he saw that Angel's life just kept going after his abduction (confusion, anger). Questions like 'did Angel miss me?' and 'did he try to get me back?' would have been normal.

I think Connor worked so hard to find Angel because he wanted answers about himself. Where he came from, who he is, does he have family, was he loved etc. Having everything you believed to be true taken away probably left Connor searching for any type of answers in hopes of clearing up the confusion and giving his life some sort of purpose.

I partly agree with you but what annoys me is that we never really see Connor actually
Trying to find answers. He is just constantly reacting to Everything around him. I agree that Connor tried to find Angel to get answers about himself but when he found Angel I get the impression that Angel being good and having people who are his friends bothers Connor so much that he no longer cares about finding out who he is. Also the fact that Connor will blindly listen to every single person or even evil demon rather than listen to the people
Who have proven themselves to be good shows that he doesn’t really care about finding out the truth about himself. Connor does want
To find himself
He wants to be Angel and he knows he can never be. He wants to be the champion but he simply doesn’t have it in him. And that’s why he hates his father.

Bite-me

Scooby
I do not dislike Connor persay I feel sorry for him, I dislike his creation because Angel's colossal failure as a parent tarnishes the character, the writers certainly don't make it easy but the truth of the matter is that Angel failed to protect this innocent baby, on one hand I hate, hate, hate, "kidnapped and returned fully grown" because it is clearly a plot convenience and there is no equivalent in the real world where children can justifiably be treated as conveniences, same reason William on X Files is such a disaster.

@Dottystar , Yeah I felt bad Connor was so manipulated at every turn, it is not so much the poor boy didn't know what to believe (on some level he realized Angel was who he said) but that he didn't know who to trust, finding out Holtz was phony was a devastating blow and the rebounding anger at Angel for failing to protect was immense, he blames Angel for what he has become, hence he disparately wants to be the real hero because he knows he is not and blames Angel. As a young man he doesn't realize that in fact, he is young and not a failure that is how he feels, he is so young, he is only eighteen and literally doesn't have the ability to plan for and anticipate the future. A alternative version where Connor bulks against is Angel's moral authority is a good idea, Angel does seem a very moralistic and authoritive

Last edited:

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Satanic Panda
Black Thorn
Angel was his father. And no matter what Holtz told him over the years, Connor needed to meet this mysterious vampire...his dad. He felt drawn to him, even if it was on a subconscious level. Blood calls to blood.

Everybody wants to know where they come from. It's a basic need for all of us...even a child of two vampires raised in a hell dimension.

zoe

Townie
I think his character could have had potential but it was wasted, i think there´s a part of him who hates Angel because is what Holtz taught him but as the seasons move forward he realize that Angel isn´t the evil murder he tought, the problem is that he doesn´t change his attitudes it´s like he still wanted to hate him

Top Bottom