1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Question How did Mʔ (The Scythe) end up in Sunnydale?

Discussion in 'Sunnydale Cemetery' started by smgismyqueenjpg, Apr 17, 2017.

1. smgismyqueenjpg

smgismyqueenjpg BuffyPhile

Black Thorn
    If Sineya was America was not discovered yet.

2. Bluebird

Bluebird two by two, hands of blue

Black Thorn
    Really bad writing?

3. smgismyqueenjpg

smgismyqueenjpg BuffyPhile

Black Thorn
    C could be.

4. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    The Guardians hid it at the end of the earth in their 'sacred pagan temple'. Uh, for some reason.
    I'm guessing that the Guardians are kinda Celtic maybe; because the only one we see has an English accent (although her accent really should be Irish/Welsh/Scots is she's Celtic but whatever) and the Celtic religion had female priestesses.

I just saw the episode 'End Of Days' and the Buffy/Guardian scene is easily one of the worst scenes in the last oh, 6 or 7 episodes. The character is just so unconvincing. Would an ancient being really use terminology like 'Nope' or 'No, really?' (to hearing Buffy's name).

It's like- I think the idea of the guardian is okay, but the execution is bad. A lot of Season 7's problem in a nutshell really.

Zenseem likes this.
  5. thrasherpix

thrasherpix Scooby

If I was going to make sense out of it, I'd probably say it's because that's where the Hellmouth is, and they can hide there (so many magical emanations there help hide their own presence, just a needle in a haystack), and either by divination or deduction realized that's where the scythe would be needed (of course it could've been transferred there relatively recently...or did the episode screw themselves on this by saying that wasn't the case?). For an especially arcane twist, magic got it there, and the guardians were able to follow. Alternately, the guardians and scythe come from the future who went back in time to change the past and probably went too far. so they had to set up their secret order.

And there seem to be portals to many other worlds around Sunnydale. Where did Dracula's castle come from? I presume magic, but maybe from some alternate dimension. And where did the Knights of Byzantium reside? I really doubt it was in our world (though they likely owned property), otherwise they'd probably be using vehicles and modern weapons rather than dressed as if they came from some world like Pylea. Maybe the scythe (and the order around it) existed in some parallel dimension until the First used Caleb to bring it over to this world, and that's when the order knew it was time (I forget the details, and I don't feel like watching it again).

But really, I don't try to make sense out of season 7. It's the season where Caleb tosses down the very barrel so Buffy can find the scythe in the first place. Why? Because the plot demanded they hurry the story along and the writers didn't want to think of something more creative or believable, which is how much of the season was written.

Fuffy Baith and smgismyqueenjpg like this.
  6. white avenger

white avenger white avenger

Obviously, the Scythe ended up in Sunnydale because the Guardian brought it there, or, more accurately, probably the Guardians made sure that it was kept available near the hellmouth, wherever that location happened to be at the time, on the same principal that a fire extinguisher is kept near a source pf potential fire. Maybe such a weapon exists and is located near every active hellmouth, and the Guardian keeps check on all of them, depending on where the most demonic activity is at any given time.

smgismyqueenjpg likes this.
  7. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole My lines are mostly filler

Black Thorn
    The idea is not even okay. It's a total rip-off of Indiana Jones.

8. thetopher

Sineya
    Kind of, but the Guardians weren't even guarding the scythe (they're the worst guardians ever!), they were just exposition-y.

'We are the keepers of the exposition. Sitting, waiting, ready to tell our vague, confusing backstory to whoever stumbles across this tomb. It's a good thing you brought the scythe with you, because quite frankly we forgot where we buried the damn thing. Really, I had nothin' if you came up empty.' *shrug*

Fuffy Baith and smgismyqueenjpg like this.
  9. Mr. Pole

Mr. Pole My lines are mostly filler

Black Thorn
    Well, that's all the Guardian of the Grail was, just for exposition. He was too frail to guard anything.

10. thetopher

Sineya
    But he was near the grail, plus there were all those fake grails and he was all 'pick a cup, any cup'. So he didn't need to stab anyone, not really.

See, he had it all figured out. I imagine he collected all those other cups- from around the world- and put them all on the same table, like mystic three card monty.

Mr. Pole: three card monty python and the holy grail?
    GwenRaiden: I can't even with this post
  11. white avenger

It's probable that the First Evil was just as aware of the existence of the Guardians as it was the Watchers and the Slayers. That being the case, the Guardian that Buffy met, if she really was the last of her kind, had been in hiding, waiting for the proper time to make an appearance. Drawing the weapon from the stone might have alerted her somehow. In that case, her only real function might have been simply to tell the Slayer what it was and how it was supposed to be used. Whether she intended to do anything else, we will never know, thanks to Caleb.

12. Puppet

Puppet My ass is not pansy!

Black Thorn
    Just because America hadn't been discovered yet, doesn't mean it didn't exist ;)

crazysoulless, TriBel and Athena like this.
  13. AlphaFoxtrot

AlphaFoxtrot Potential

“Joss asked us to write his stupid Axe thing from the Comic Book into the final episode.” “For the Love of God, I just want to get this series done, just have the Lady of the Lake give it to her. Have her live in the Temple Set, I don’t care anymore.” The answer I like is that a Slayer was aware of the Tro-Clon, and was told in a vision about her successor’s role in the Final Battle, and instructed the Guardians to place the Axe in So-cal.

14. white avenger

We've all overlooked the most obvious answer. The Scythe wasn't in Sunnydale, and neither were the Hellmouth or the Guardian's Temple. What was in Sunnydale were portals leading to other dimensional chambers. Physically, the Hellmouth could be on Mercury, the Scythe could be on Saturn, and the Guardian's Temple could be on the moon, and it wouldn't make any difference. Only the portals leading to those three locations were in Sunnydale, and the portals worked in a manner where the initial breaking of the Hellmouth portal seal created the portal into the chamber of the Scythe, and drawing it from the stone opened the Guardian's temple and awakened her.