• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

How did Spike get his coat back?

thrasherpix

Scooby
He left it at Buffy's after the AR. I'm really not up for watching all that, but surely someone who loves this season remembers how Spike got his "second skin" back.

Bop

Scooby
Sineya
I swear Spike left it on the stairs and then Xander comes up and finds Buffy and figures out that Spike obviously was there and tried to rape Buffy.

T
thrasherpix
Yes, and if Spike didn't get it back right away I'd think Buffy would trash or even burn it rather than keep it for him. And on both Buffy and Angel his coat is supposed to be his "second skin" like Indiana Jones with his hat, had to have it.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Writers probably forgot he left it there. It was in a box in Season 7 in the basement, so who put it there?

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
Not sure where the coat ended up. But in Get It Done, Spike goes back to the school basement and digs around in some boxes and pulls it out. Not sure how it got in the school basement, but that's where he gets it from in season 7.

Stake fodder

Soulless
It's never explained. Xander grabs it as he rushes up the stairs, and then next we see of it is in "Get It Done" in S7 when Spike pulls it out of a box in the school basement.

Nearwild

Townie
I imagine maybe Buffy took it back to his crypt to give to Clem to hold after the events of S6 finale, and then Spike took all his junk to the school basement when he got back. Or maybe Clem brought it all to him in the basement?

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
I dunno, maybe he can smell his coat and so can track it down. As to why it was there, somebody in the Buffy household must've put it there, right?

thrasherpix

Scooby
On a side note I think it's bizarre that he'd leave his coat there in the first place (but so much in those few minutes was way off, not just that), especially after reading reasons on why the coat was integral to his identity, even after getting a soul. (In retrospect that makes the fact that Spike was fine with a replacement in Angel all the more darkly amusing.)

Nearwild

Townie
I thought it made sense he didn't go back for it- rushed out in shame afterwards, would've been awkward to go back. Then he rejects that part of his identity when he goes off to get his soul. And I don't think Buffy would bin it for the same reason she puts his lighter in her pocket earlier in the season. Feelings are complicated.

T
thrasherpix
I'd buy that if it wasn't for everything else that it was part of.

katmobile

Scooby
I thought it made sense he didn't go back for it- rushed out in shame afterwards, would've been awkward to go back. Then he rejects that part of his identity when he goes off to get his soul. And I don't think Buffy would bin it for the same reason she puts his lighter in her pocket earlier in the season. Feelings are complicated.
I'll co sign the idea she gives it to Clem she doesn't want it near her but she reasons if she passes it to his friend she's sending a message - get out of my life and stay out. Also it's too battered to donate and it would be hard to destroy - leather doesn't burn well and to tear it apart would mean contact with it.

Dora

Scooby
I'll co sign the idea she gives it to Clem she doesn't want it near her but she reasons if she passes it to his friend she's sending a message - get out of my life and stay out. Also it's too battered to donate and it would be hard to destroy - leather doesn't burn well and to tear it apart would mean contact with it.

I bet Marti Noxon hid it in that box, hoping to smuggle it home, what happened to it after Buffy finished ? JM have it ?

DeadlyDuo

Scooby

Also it's one half of Spike's iconic image (the other half being Spike's bleached hair); if they had destroyed the coat, then there is a good chance that the audience would hate the character that did it. Even in Angel Season 5 when they did destroy the coat, they immediately gave Spike several identical replacements. They got to keep Spike's iconic look whilst erasing the bad history of the coat (a trophy from him killing Nikki Wood).

Audiences are notoriously fickle and this is where a "creator's pet" starts to arise aka writers love a character much more than the audience does. Kennedy could be classed as a creator's pets- the writers obviously thought she was a great character which is why they paired her with Willow and had her treat Buffy so badly, whilst the audience absolutely hated her, so much so they even kind of acknowledged it in the Buffy Season 8 comic. Riley could also be classed as another creator's pet- the writers described him as "the one who comes along once in a lifetime" whilst the audience found him boring. On the flipside, writers might dislike a character that the audience loves and attempting to put the character through the wringer only makes the audience love them more.

Stake fodder

Soulless
I bet Marti Noxon hid it in that box, hoping to smuggle it home, what happened to it after Buffy finished ? JM have it ?
I recall hearing that the coat cost $2000 originally, so I doubt they would let anyone take it home as a souvenir. It's probably still buried somewhere in the CW's costume department. Luckily, UPN and WB merged, or they'd have to fight over it! (This is starting to sound like "Raiders of the Lost Ark," with the coat as the Ark. :D)

D
Dora
I wonder if we will ever find out where to coat ended up or how much if sold

Dora

Scooby
Also it's one half of Spike's iconic image (the other half being Spike's bleached hair); if they had destroyed the coat, then there is a good chance that the audience would hate the character that did it. Even in Angel Season 5 when they did destroy the coat, they immediately gave Spike several identical replacements. They got to keep Spike's iconic look whilst erasing the bad history of the coat (a trophy from him killing Nikki Wood).

Audiences are notoriously fickle and this is where a "creator's pet" starts to arise aka writers love a character much more than the audience does. Kennedy could be classed as a creator's pets- the writers obviously thought she was a great character which is why they paired her with Willow and had her treat Buffy so badly, whilst the audience absolutely hated her, so much so they even kind of acknowledged it in the Buffy Season 8 comic. Riley could also be classed as another creator's pet- the writers described him as "the one who comes along once in a lifetime" whilst the audience found him boring. On the flipside, writers might dislike a character that the audience loves and attempting to put the character through the wringer only makes the audience love them more.

I remember years ago watching a interview or something where JM said that no matter how evil they made Spike or what he did to Buffy he acted it for sympathy , the writer's could not believe it and had no idea why it was happening , he was just looking out for his job

Last edited:
Top Bottom