• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

How did the Watcher's Council make money?

Athena

The original one-eyed chicklet
Staff member
Black Thorn
Something that popped into my mind today, we see several iterations of the Watcher's Council over the years, with a number of background staff members, tasked with "protecting" the Slayer, as well as performing admin such as arranging each Slayers' Cruciamentum. But how do you think they made money? Was it just a background activity for a company with other dealings? A government agency? Investment dealings over the years? Do they just deal in black magic and sorcery?

How did they pay all their staff? Do we think these people volunteer their spare time? We can presume Giles made a living from being the school librarian but what about the other colleagues who worked for the Watcher's Council?

Share your theories here!

WillowFromBuffy

To be or not to evil.
According to the special operations team, the Watcher Council employs alchemists to transmute base metals into gold.

Priceless

Scooby
I always assumed they had made great investments over the years and owned property in some of the richest places on earth. I can't imagine them using magic to make themselves rich, though I don't know why, because they do some truly terrible things, but fraud seems too common a crime for the great Watchers Council.

Some of the Watchers, if not most, seem to come from wealthy families, their wealth coming from farming and industry. Only one or two of the sons (and daughters) would go into watching, while the others ran the family business and giving some of the money to the Council.

thrasherpix

Scooby
Giles got paid. Retroactively in season 5. This is how I presume he was able to look for Buffy by plane after she ran off at the end of season 2 (at least saved the receipts for reimbursement).

I expect many groups rose to fight the supernatural and/or evil. Gunn's gang is just one. But the wealthy would stand the best chance of surviving and managing a global network whereas most other groups would disappear after a short time (impressive if they lasted more than a single generation).

That is to say, they came from wealthy or aristocratic backgrounds, and as a result they had staying power, unlike groups like Gunn's gang, or even Holtz. The wealthy can easily become jaded and thrill in such secret shenanigans as well. Occult groups might work spells on their behalf as that Wiccan coven, and given the circles they moved in they had an even better chance than Angel to impress the wealthy who would, in turn, fund them. And to think of all the stuff they had to sell...even without magical power, it would be dangerous to gather so many antique tomes in good conditions in one place. They had wealth, they went to the ivy league colleges, and thus knew the wealthy and influential which naturally leads to their own wealth...especially if they've been doing this for untold generations.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Wealthy British Aristocrats who are trained in various fields to support the slayer? I assume each watcher has family wealth, and the Council has an endowment fund. They also have day jobs with their skill sets in academia, the church, government, museums, historical sites, and similar Institutions. I suppose they might also have Government funding of some kind, seeing that fighting monsters is a government function.

white avenger

white avenger
It would make a cool story to have the Watchers were an offshoot of the Templar Knights, and their group was supported by the lost Templar treasure.

In reality, though, most likely throughout the ages, the Watchers have recovered quite a few artifacts that would have been quite valuable when sold, and I'm sure that the treasure vault where Spike found the Gem of Amara (?) wasn't the only such place in existence. No reason why the Watchers couldn't have found a few others over the years.

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
I think myself that the Watchers being upper class were able to talk the goverment into giving them things . After all having not to pay for the buildings they
use & not having to pay taxes on anything would add up . Plus add in a few grants from the goverment from time to time & they are sitting on a dragon sized mound of mony . And that just a few ways they could do it .

thrasherpix

Scooby
Even Los Angeles had a surprising number of magical artifact collectors, dealers, talents, and activities. Paranormal Economics is apparently a thing, but there doesn't seem to be any insight into it other than it exists. The Watchers, being experts (thinking of that sweep they did of the Magic Box among other things), would have their thumbs in that pie.

Top Bottom