• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

How Did You Feel About Tara's Death?

Evil Angelus 95

Total Dork
Sineya
I've seen numerous times through Internetland that Tara's death in "Seeing Red" was one of the most shocking events of the series. There are alot of people out there that are mad that she was killed off, considering that apparently Joss said in an interview that he wasn't going to kill her off (If anyone has a source on that, please let me know. I'm interested in reading it)

For me, Tara's death has hit me in an odd-way. When I saw it on screen, I wasn't surprised (I was spoiled :( ), but it was still sad to see.

The more I'm thinking about it recently, I've actually grown extremely sad about the entire thing, thanks to a fan video I watched recently that actually reduced me to tears.

So, what are your thoughts on Tara's death? Neccessary storyline plot? Needless sacrifice to the Mutant Enemy gods?

itssmiletime

Potential
Yeah, it was spoiled for me, as well. I was very angry and upset over it, the more I think about it. Her absence was heavily noticeable in season 7. Tara had this gentleness to her as well as all this strength that I really admired and loved. A true role model.

Also, after reading a heap of analyses of the death of Tara in the context of sexuality (as in, lesbian relationships will be punished, etc) I do think it was a bad move on the writers part. One of the best parts of Willow/ Tara's relationship is that it had the same problems, issues and sense of love as any of the other relationships in the show. It meant a lot to a hell lot of people.

and Amber Benson is finally in the credits in Seeing Red? That was cruel and unforgivable, Joss. If Emma Caulfield, and James Marsters were in the credits, so should Amber Benson. She had as much reason to be in the credits as the above.

Evil Angelus 95
Evil Angelus 95
[No message]

EVIL UU

Scooby
To me Tara died when she decided to go back to Willow. Think about it, Willow was doping her with memory altering drugs for weeks, maybe months, most likely raping her as well. To give such a person a second chance you have got to be completely out of your damn mind I have no self-preservation instinct whatsoever off the charts bonkers, OK?

The show sends a pretty clear message and not for the first time - you were abused by your partner? Give them a second chance. Guys, this is wrong. This is what you should be pissed off about.

The death itself is pretty ridiculous and story-wise it makes Willow's addiction arc pointless. Willow would have done the same damn thing even if she hadn't been addicted, we know that since her Glory raid in season 5. And yeah, Tara's death is sad but it's still a better faith than being turned into a brain-fried vegetable by Willow's spells ( Willow, don't you see? There'll be nothing left of me ) Now, of course when every homosexual character on the show ends up dead or repulsively evil questions about homophobic stereotypes have to be asked.

Ethan Reigns
Ethan Reigns
Jump, pull the ripcord and let Willow crash where she may - that would have been the correct answer for Tara.
R
Robb Stark
Agreed. Never should have gone back to Willow
HisMrs
HisMrs
[No message]

tec

Myastur Mispellur
When it first aired it was screaming at my TV that it was unacceptable
I still feel this way I guess Im one of thoses fans that still struggle with it

Robb Stark

King in the North
Sineya
I was pretty surprised when it happened, but I didn't care enough about the character herself to have it profoundly impact me or anything, as it seems to have done with a lot of fans.

I mean, Tara had been around for a long time and the red herring of her actually being included in the opening credits certainly added to the shock factor. It was more just a surprise because of how entrenched she seemed to be in the main cast than anything.

Kean

Professional Bangel
Sineya
I don't think I even blinked. Tara has never been on my radar as a character. I was much more concerned by what had happened to Buffy with the AR, the night before.

Buffy Summers
Buffy Summers
[No message]

Tuppence

Angel of Music
Sineya
For me it was the gunshot that shocked me. It was just simple, sudden and then she was gone. And in a world where people are killed by a bunch of supernatural nasties, it seemed so cold and uneventful- she was stood smiling and then a shot rings out and she collapses. It felt very real and that really hit me- much in the way Joyce's death stood out as natural non-magical death.

I think I would have been more sad about Tara dying if the attention hadn't been immediately, like within milliseconds, taken away by Willow going all crazy-evil-off-the-rails. But before you know it you're thrown into this very active storyline and when it's over, so is the season, and when we come back too much time has passed to make Tara' s death a prominent storyline.

E
EffieT1
[No message]

jokinghazard

Townie
I was really shocked when it happened, and really saddened, I loved Tara, she was so awesome! One of the saddest moments in the show, apart from Joyce's death and probably a couple of other thing's I can't exactly remember at the moment

Living Dead Boy

Joss Is A Very Flawed Boss
Black Thorn
I may have been a young kid when I first watched this episode, I cried nonetheless. Why? Because it hit too close to home. Less than a week ago, my grandmother, who basically took care of me my entire life, passed away. Funny thing, I didn't cry when my grandmother passed. Not even at the funeral. That entire following week, I was more in a state of denial than anything. But as soon as that stray bullet flew through the window, it was a done deal. I cried that entire night. It took Tara's death for me to realize that not only was she gone, but my grandmother, the one and only person who cared for me, who loved me more than anything, and who was the sweetest person you could ever meet, was gone too. I still have a hard time watching that scene. It makes me wonder if there's any genuinely good people out there left.

T
tec
Aw wow it hit you harder then it hit me

Althenea

Townie
Tara was never the greatest character in my opinion (that awful stutter...) but I was still sad to see her die. Her and Willow were cute. However, we got Dark Willow because of it, so I think it was totally worth it!!

HisMrs

The Walking BED
Sineya
I was pretty shocked at how it happened, but I didn't mourn her character or anything. I was never a huge Tara fan, so I wasn't in tears over it.

JCoatsworth

UP THE IRONS!
Black Thorn
How I felt? Well, most of all surprised... I think it's the show's most unexpected death. I was also sad to see such a great and likable go.
But in the end, I think it was good that she died, because it really fueled the story and made the Season 6 finale as epic as it is.

jokinghazard

Townie
Tara was never the greatest character in my opinion (that awful stutter...) but I was still sad to see her die. Her and Willow were cute. However, we got Dark Willow because of it, so I think it was totally worth it!!
Well the studder was intentional, to show how shy she was, and then she stopped studdering after she started dating Willow because she helped her overcome her shyness. That's what her song was about in Once More With Feeling

nancylives

Townie
i loved tara; she was one of my favorite supporting characters, and in many respects, the most grounded of all the scoobies. she constantly advocated for doing things right the right way, and she represented a strong moral high ground. additionally, i just love amber benson.

so her death was shocking and sad, especially to essentially have caught a stray bullet. but it was a necessary death in terms of propelling the story forward, and, as many posters have noted, it pushed willow over the edge towards her embrace of her magic addiction. dark willow was a great big bad, and season six jostles with season two as my favorite.

but i missed tara's evenness and decency after she was gone. i also wish she had returned, as did every other dead character, under the control of the first. we got her words in talking to dead people, but no amber.

she also has a great singing voice.

Evil Angelus 95

Total Dork
Sineya
but i missed tara's evenness and decency after she was gone. i also wish she had returned, as did every other dead character, under the control of the first. we got her words in talking to dead people, but no amber.

she also has a great singing voice.
Joss wanted Amber to come back, but she felt like it would hurt the fans of her character that were upset that Tara died

Indeed she does. :D

Top Bottom