• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

How do you feel about the Buffy Reboot?

DagonSphere

Potential
Honestly, we don't know too much about what this possible reboot would be; we don't even know if it is happening anymore, as it has been over a year since it was first announced, but I remain open to it. The Buffyverse is just too interesting and rich; and my personal opinion is that 20th Century Fox should have played more in this universe after Angel ended and created new spin-offs and such. I'm even open to a reboot, there are many different incarnations of Batman and Spiderman, Buffy could also work that way, it doesn't have to compete with the original series, which will always be what it is: one of the best and most groundbreaking series of the last decades.

The question is: will we live to see a reboot? Because it has already taken them quite long to come up with anything; no new spin-offs since 2004, the Buffy movie reboot by the Kuzui producers failed to materialise and it sort of feels like this TV reboot/spin off is also not going anywhere?

Skel8tor

Townie
Love the idea can't wait. Would have been happy with a "Blade's Daughter" tv show but Buffy reboot will do.
If it happens i think Sarah Michelle Gellar should play Principal Snyder
Alyson Hannigan as The Watcher
and Nicholas Brendon could be um...that demon bartender or The Master
(i mean the equivalent characters in the new show)

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
To be fair, Star Trek Discovery was announced with much ballyhoo, before disappearing for about 12 months, so far to the point that nobody had any idea how a show that was coming out in less than six months could generate so little press. Buffy also has a potential complicated rights issue, as a the film belongs to Kuzi-Sandollar, the IP unique for the series belongs to Fox/Disney, and probably WB/CW in some capacity. That's not a perfect example, as CBS really wanted that show, as opposed to Buffy, which still doesn't have either network or financial backing, because that's something that would be announced and promoted, there's no reason to keep that a secret. So yes, if the series is still in active development, it's going to be about a year or two from now until broadcast.

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
I'm usually against reboots but since the Roswell reboot pleasantly surprised me I will give the Buffy reboot a chance before I go judge it.

NileQT87
NileQT87
As a fan of the original Roswell, flaws and all, I was appalled by the reboot. And it certainly isn't any closer to the books, which some tried to pretend. If that's what counts as one of the better reboots... Yikes.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
The news story that started this is from 20 July 2018. At this point, I can hear Dr. Leonard McCoy saying, "She's dead, Jim."

It would be interesting to see what they could come up with as story lines that they haven't already used. Further down, the article talks about "reboot fatigue". If they go with a black slayer, will we get the stereotypical "girl from the ghetto" stories or will there be a different start to her world than we saw in Angel with Gunn?

There is still no new announcement of money being spent on screenwriters or a pilot. Putting a showrunner on retainer doesn't cost much and gives the impression that the people working on it are more interested in making it look like they are serious players in the business than actually moving the project into a studio. If they meet up with someone else in the business and they get asked what they are doing now, they can say "the Buffy reboot" rather than saying "not much of anything". That's the only purpose the announcement would serve at this point because the only other use for the announcement would be to gauge if there was any interest and the market has said "no".

Top Bottom