• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

How do you feel about the Buffy Reboot?

DagonSphere

Potential
Honestly, we don't know too much about what this possible reboot would be; we don't even know if it is happening anymore, as it has been over a year since it was first announced, but I remain open to it. The Buffyverse is just too interesting and rich; and my personal opinion is that 20th Century Fox should have played more in this universe after Angel ended and created new spin-offs and such. I'm even open to a reboot, there are many different incarnations of Batman and Spiderman, Buffy could also work that way, it doesn't have to compete with the original series, which will always be what it is: one of the best and most groundbreaking series of the last decades.

The question is: will we live to see a reboot? Because it has already taken them quite long to come up with anything; no new spin-offs since 2004, the Buffy movie reboot by the Kuzui producers failed to materialise and it sort of feels like this TV reboot/spin off is also not going anywhere?

Skel8tor

Townie
Love the idea can't wait. Would have been happy with a "Blade's Daughter" tv show but Buffy reboot will do.
If it happens i think Sarah Michelle Gellar should play Principal Snyder
Alyson Hannigan as The Watcher
and Nicholas Brendon could be um...that demon bartender or The Master
(i mean the equivalent characters in the new show)

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
To be fair, Star Trek Discovery was announced with much ballyhoo, before disappearing for about 12 months, so far to the point that nobody had any idea how a show that was coming out in less than six months could generate so little press. Buffy also has a potential complicated rights issue, as a the film belongs to Kuzi-Sandollar, the IP unique for the series belongs to Fox/Disney, and probably WB/CW in some capacity. That's not a perfect example, as CBS really wanted that show, as opposed to Buffy, which still doesn't have either network or financial backing, because that's something that would be announced and promoted, there's no reason to keep that a secret. So yes, if the series is still in active development, it's going to be about a year or two from now until broadcast.

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
I'm usually against reboots but since the Roswell reboot pleasantly surprised me I will give the Buffy reboot a chance before I go judge it.

NileQT87
NileQT87
As a fan of the original Roswell, flaws and all, I was appalled by the reboot. And it certainly isn't any closer to the books, which some tried to pretend. If that's what counts as one of the better reboots... Yikes.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
The news story that started this is from 20 July 2018. At this point, I can hear Dr. Leonard McCoy saying, "She's dead, Jim."

It would be interesting to see what they could come up with as story lines that they haven't already used. Further down, the article talks about "reboot fatigue". If they go with a black slayer, will we get the stereotypical "girl from the ghetto" stories or will there be a different start to her world than we saw in Angel with Gunn?

There is still no new announcement of money being spent on screenwriters or a pilot. Putting a showrunner on retainer doesn't cost much and gives the impression that the people working on it are more interested in making it look like they are serious players in the business than actually moving the project into a studio. If they meet up with someone else in the business and they get asked what they are doing now, they can say "the Buffy reboot" rather than saying "not much of anything". That's the only purpose the announcement would serve at this point because the only other use for the announcement would be to gauge if there was any interest and the market has said "no".

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
The options are many, will there be a 'new' Spike? Will Spike have a * theme tune * I like the notion it would be a mix of Demons because that is what he is, and Radioactive because of his hair.

What other songs would you like to hear in the reboot?

Last edited:

lyrieblue

Townie
Nikki Wood origin story! 1970s New York City. I think the timing would be right to have young Giles make an appearance too. Her character has so much potential. Plus a lot to explore around that time in history.

cookieanalogy

Townie
As much as I'd like to keep BTVS a product and queen of the 90's and early 2000's eventually it will happen. They'll do remakes, reboots, spin offs, sequels, prequels, sidequels and go crazy with that universe. It wouldn't be a bad thing because I want people to discover and like this universe but I'm nervous about them possibly taking too many liberties and interacting with the old show by quoting it too much or having cameos all over the place and try to intertwine everything.

I think Buffy is timeless and that SMG really marked a whole generation with that part and we'll keep her as THE slayer in our mind always.
But I like the idea of a new slayer. A different slayer, different city etc. Explore the universe from a different perspective in a different time and bubble.

I am glad they're thinking about something different rather than to try and do a remake because THAT would've hurt haha Good way to make me feel old and irrelevant in my...early 30's haha. The idea that we've told all the possible stories in the past 20 years or that it's cheaper to bring back old stories rather than to take a risk and put something different out there is lame and annoying :-/ Give us something new or at the very least something different 🤷‍♀️

I'm not in a hurry to see this new project but I might give it a chance :)

BuffyNvrForgets

Slayerette
I’m not too optimistic about a reboot…name one good reboot?
Original Buffy was fantastic, and pretty timeless, as evidenced by people still using these boards.

If they must do a reboot, I’d like them not to remake it. No new Buffy. Sarah Michelle a Gellar is Buffy, and always will be to me.

I’d almost prefer it to be a prequel. Like others were saying, one centering on Nikki Wood, or whatever slayer came right before Buffy.
That way, if/when they get canceled, they can have her die, and do a little reference to Buffy, like “oh, the new slayer is in Los Angelus” something like that.

I dunno if I want to see the world after the show has ended, or after the comics, which I personally don’t really ever take into consideration. Because the beauty of the Buffy finale was that it was so open. Literally the last lines are about how “Now Buffy can do whatever she wants, she’s free”. (The comics kinda ruin that, so that’s why I don’t personally accept them as canon) it’s great because you, the viewer, can now determine what she does next. It’s up to you. Does she keep fighting vampires? Does she settle down? Does she do a bit of both?

I feel like a story set even 20 years in the future (present day) would have to address what happened to her, (either she’s still around and would be a big deal, or she’s been killed) and it takes the openness out of the finale.

It’ll be like Buffy’s story is officially over. The last page is written, sealed with a “The End” and placed on a shelf.

Personally, I don’t want that. I think the original Buffy story is still so strong, and it still doesn’t feel outdated. I watched it for the first time earlier this year, and I wasn’t even alive while the first several seasons came out. While watching it, I never once felt it was dated. It felt , aside from some fashion choices in the first couple seasons.

anyways, that’s why, if they decide to add to the Buffyverse, they should go backwards, not forwards. If they go forwards, they just might end up ruining what came before.

I would love a 12 episode series if each season followed a different Slayer from the past leading up to Buffy and either the final season in the series is that Slayer right before her, or we jump to Fray for the final. I don't want to see other actors attempt to play Buffy, Willow, Xander, et al, myself, and if it has to be present-day, I'd prefer it take place in a Post-Chosen present so instead of just a kind of a rehash of the original show it would exist in-universe and we'd get to see the fall out of Chosen to keep it connected to the overall story without having to focus on it in particular, and that could leave open potential participation from any original cast members. Tbh, I would love to see 40 year old Buffy still kicking ass even if it's just a cameo along with anyone else who wanted to come back - you could even bring back one of the vamps and just say they Shashued way back whenever to explain the aging - while still keeping the main focus on the new cast.

KaitKat

Potential
I would love a 12 episode series if each season followed a different Slayer from the past leading up to Buffy and either the final season in the series is that Slayer right before her, or we jump to Fray for the final.

This is a great idea. It would also allow the writers to pick a theme each season and stick with it. Plus I doubt with only a short time spent with other slayers that we would get into stuff that contradicts cannon or have them all drug through the mud.

DagonSphere

Potential
I’m not too optimistic about a reboot…name one good reboot?
Battlestar Galactica, Friday Night Lights. Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Yes, the series that we all love so much is actually already a reboot.

BuffyNvrForgets
BuffyNvrForgets
Wow. I stand corrected. I've not seen Battlestar Galactica, nor Friday Night Lights so I will trust your word on the quality, but I concede, yes, Buffy is technically a reboot. Huh. Funny. Well, even so, I dunno if ANOTHER reboot will turn out.
I would love a 12 episode series if each season followed a different Slayer from the past leading up to Buffy and either the final season in the series is that Slayer right before her, or we jump to Fray for the final. I don't want to see other actors attempt to play Buffy, Willow, Xander, et al, myself, and if it has to be present-day, I'd prefer it take place in a Post-Chosen present so instead of just a kind of a rehash of the original show it would exist in-universe and we'd get to see the fall out of Chosen to keep it connected to the overall story without having to focus on it in particular, and that could leave open potential participation from any original cast members. Tbh, I would love to see 40 year old Buffy still kicking ass even if it's just a cameo along with anyone else who wanted to come back - you could even bring back one of the vamps and just say they Shashued way back whenever to explain the aging - while still keeping the main focus on the new cast.

For the pilot, I'd want to spend the whole first episode with a Slayer who gets called at the beginning of the episode who actually dies her first time out and the episode ends with the girl we're actually going to follow for the rest of the 11 episodes being called. Since we already covered the Watcher/Slayer dynamic and history in the pilot we can jump in with the S1 Slayer a couple of days/weeks in and go from there in Ep 2. I think it'd be really cool to mess with structure and timeframe, different countries with different languages during different timeframes, mess with style, tone, like have one season in black and white, etc, maybe even an animated one. Spend a season with a Slayer who never connected with her Watcher at all for some reason and did everything alone, not knowing who or what she is, etc, maybe even spend one season from a Watcher's perspective (We could meet a young Giles in this episode), or even one of the Guardians, etc. Just really spread out into the universe with the Slayers being the connective tissue. Like maybe even one where we follow a villain that encounters several Slayers over the ages before being killed by one (like either Xin Rong or Nikki and that kicks off one of their seasons)...

KaitKat
KaitKat
This is brilliant! They just need to consult you.

thrasherpix

Scooby
If it's not before Buffy, then I'd prefer to see that most Awakened Slayers get split up, divided, or otherwise not available. Furthermore, the spell resets so it's just one (which is still better than these are the last).

'Course it would beg the question why other groups, including evil ones (including shady governments), aren't then going about making their own mystical armies. Some might attack to get at that scythe, too.

That, and there's always a price.

I'd still be somewhat excited for this (more so if the new Slayer to Awaken here was the daughter of Gunn and Anne, who Anne would've named Buffy, but that's Buffy Gunn):

NileQT87

Billowy Coat, King of Pain
I still say the best spinoff they could possibly ever make would be all the Chosen Slayers getting deactivated, then Buffy and a Shanshu'd Angel (IMO, this plot really would only work with Angel, because it actually matches his story arc, not Spike's, to want a human life and fatherhood) have a daughter who grows up not knowing the truth about her parents (and half-brother!) until it's forced to come out.

I would particularly note that the first thing that happens to newly-called Slayers is their prophetic dreams. If ever there was a way to start breaking secrets to this new heroine that also serves as flashback exposition featuring the old shows, this seems custom-built for it. It’s exposition for the audience that never saw the old shows as well as an introduction to a key Slayer ability, but most importantly, it’s personal family revelations that go far deeper than historical flashbacks of unrelated persons or monsters that mean nothing personal.

These would be scandalous secrets for a baby Slayer, given Buffy was the rule-breaking Slayer who is most famous for having romantic relationships with the very creatures she’s supposed to slay. Angelus would be the worst family secret of all! This story has all the makings of an existential crisis before acceptance. That would also be a good place to drop in Connor’s history. Buffy never actually got to react to that bombshell either, so that would be an interesting drama with her, as well.

Buffy and Angel both tended to feature heavily in prophetic dreams, so it also just feels right to continue that.

If there's some reason why David Boreanaz (who, let's face it, is really not getting younger and SEAL Team can't go on forever) can't or is unwilling to appear, one could have an explanation that Wolfram & Hart has had him trapped in a holding dimension for years as punishment.

You could even build an arc around that with Buffy or the daughter trying to find him. Basically, a kind way of explaining Angel's absence if necessary and Buffy unfortunately having to mirror her single mother (which was a fear of hers), despite it being no fault of Angel's. It would be yet more cruelty for him to miss out on yet another child growing up, which would be a dramatic plot point itself. It could actually become a story where he does matter quite a lot, despite initial absence or mystery.

An even bigger shock than mom having Slayer superpowers and a world full of supernatural forces would be a reveal that dad is a 394+-year-old (depends on if you count hell--in a modern-day spinoff, Angel is rapidly approaching 400 years!) ex-vampire.

The most interesting and fitting story you could ever do with a maturing Buffy would be having her be a mother and trying to have a normal life.

This would also give Sarah Michelle Gellar a starring role that allows her to be age-appropriate, yet also having a younger generation that the original audience can still care about because she isn't completely divorced from the two previous shows in the way that an unrelated Slayer spinoff would be. It allows the core storylines of *both* shows to truly matter, far more than a Buffy Steele-Gunn offspring would.

NileQT87

Billowy Coat, King of Pain
My pitch has grown a bit with further discussions! And I'm trying to pitch it in a way that makes for viable television, not just fanfiction.

---

Just a a few notes about my pitch for a continuation that works with the real ages of actors and their availability... I should also note that Xander (played by Nick, anyway--Kelly might work for a flashback) is a character who could never appear in live-action again, so maybe he could be used as another event that contributed to Buffy's retirement besides pregnancy.

If the Shanshu and conception were directly post-NFA, any offspring would be 16 years old right now. IMO, if there were any plans to give SMG a series with her in a major supporting role, this just means that the space for how long between NFA and the Shanshu or how long Bangel got to be with each other widens for however many years it would take to revive the franchise.

I strongly believe that the best option for the franchise would be a back-to-the-suburbs story exploring age-appropriate Buffy facing motherhood, rather than trying to turn Buffy into a war general surrounded by nothing but subordinates (horribly alienating future for her) with a lack of equals or a grounded setting à la the season 8 comics. If you want to introduce the Buffyverse to a new audience whom you can't expect to watch 24-year-old shows until they're interested enough by the revival, you're going to have to ground characters in a relatable reality.

As for how a new Slayer would be called after deactivation, I firmly believe the line is through Faith now anyway, so it would just take her dying for a minute à la Prophecy Girl for a new Slayer to be called. I would definitely want Faith in the show!

---

I feel like SMG's concern was less wanting to reprise the role entirely, but more concern that she'd be expected to play the same exact role in her 40s. This is giving her a role that fits a woman (and a mother in real life) who is in her 40s and is a major supporting role rather than he young lead whose story is being centered on.

As for the Angel situation, SMG might actually be more willing to return if she could beg DB to come back for perhaps an initially-limited role and the scenario is one I believe she'd actually support, as it fits with her preferences!

While it might seem that Buffy as a single mother retreads the original, Angel is obviously nothing like the Hank situation (not to mention Joyce and Hank being completely clueless), so the circumstances of the father would be quite different from Buffy's own situation, while also feeding into her own stated fears about her future.

This also brings up all the conversations in Bad Eggs, The Prom and the Chosen cookie dough analogy (children are mentioned again) to the forefront. Unlike with the other options, it was something that came up repeatedly. Admittedly, it was always by Angel due to his infertility and the human life he most desired; all of which ended up being an important part of *his* story.

However, a part of Bad Eggs that is woefully underrated is that Buffy was disappointed when Angel told her vampires can't have children. She immediately covers it up with a babble speech and then starts making excuses for why Slayers are unlikely to have that kind of future. Young Buffy did not disregard it because she didn't want children ever at all, but because the person whom she saw that future with was someone who couldn't have them.

Enter Nikki Wood, where Buffy learns that at least one Slayer was definitely a mother, which she was clearly surprised by.

That's another reason why I can see Buffy, if she got her hopes up with post-Shanshu Angel and conceived, would do anything to be a good mom by not being all about "the mission". She would never want her child to be raised without parents. And I think she'd be doubly sensitive to that, not just because of Nikki, but because of Hank leaving and Joyce dying.

Buffy also became surrogate mother to Dawn, who was made out of her (in a sense, she is her real mother), so Angel's situation with Connor actually had a direct mirror in Buffy's situation with Dawn.

But those conversations were also not just about wished-for children that couldn't be conceived, but also asking Buffy to think about what she wants for her future if she took out the belief that Slayers don't live long enough to have one.

This show would be the answer to what happens to a Slayer when she does live long enough to have the future she barely wanted to get her hopes up for before.

Buffy (ditto Angel) is the character for which this story actually has a ton of setup in the shows themselves. These characters talked about it! And the circumstances are really nothing like Joyce and Hank, even if the initial setup plays into both Buffy and Angel's worst nightmare scenarios about parenthood: being a single mother and not getting to raise the miracle child you thought you'd never have. That kind of bittersweet writing that shirks too-good-to-be-true wish-fulfillment is a cornerstone of what makes it a Buffyverse storyline.

If the daughter's family lied to her about their history to keep her safe and protect her from knowing what goes bump in the night (making them the polar opposites of Hank and Joyce in regards to knowing all too well--especially Angel's experience of being the worst thing you could bump into at night, rather than utterly clueless), that would certainly be a conflict. Especially if she found out in a particularly shocking way (say, prophetic dreams).

And if Angel (I'd like to imagine he has the company of ghost!Wesley and maybe Illyria and Spike) has been taken for punishment by Wolfram & Hart, it might really confuse her if she doesn't know that he didn't just leave or some other excuse Buffy covered it up with.

Wolfram & Hart would also probably love the irony of Angel getting what he most desires (to be human and a father), only to punish him with it by wasting his remaining years separated from all that he loves.

Dogs of Winter

Potential
I would love a 12 episode series if each season followed a different Slayer from the past leading up to Buffy and either the final season in the series is that Slayer right before her,

That sounds like it could be really interesting. I would defo watch it. There would be so many possibilities as you could go anywhere in the world at any time.

Unfortunately I dont think a network would go for it as you would need a new cast for each season so there would be no continuity. Unless you turned it into an American Horror Story style where you have the same cast playing different characters each season

The other issue is that Buffy was meant to be the first to work with friends as part of a team, so any show set in the past would have a pretty small cast :)

I am not really a big fan of reboots so would probably prefer it if they didnt do a reboot, but on the other hand there is Battlestar Galactica which is fantastic so bring it on !

That sounds like it could be really interesting. I would defo watch it. There would be so many possibilities as you could go anywhere in the world at any time.

Unfortunately I dont think a network would go for it as you would need a new cast for each season so there would be no continuity. Unless you turned it into an American Horror Story style where you have the same cast playing different characters each season

The other issue is that Buffy was meant to be the first to work with friends as part of a team, so any show set in the past would have a pretty small cast :)

I am not really a big fan of reboots so would probably prefer it if they didnt do a reboot, but on the other hand there is Battlestar Galactica which is fantastic so bring it on !

I'm thinking the continuity would be the Buffyverse itself and a new cast of mostly unknowns would actually keep the cost down to a degree (same with having a small cast) which is appealing to producers and could also potentially kickstart some careers ;). I was thinking of an Anthology series like AHS, but not with the same cast (unless there were some series where the timing is not too far off and we could see an older (or younger) version of a character crossover*). I agree the trick would be figuring out how to fill the world of each series keeping in mind Buffy was the first to have a team - we would have to have recurring characters who either never know or who find out only at the end or know but keep their distance and that could also serve as a direct contrast to Buffy and why she lasted so long. I think that could work especially if it's not a 22 episode long season - you don't have to try and sustain something that's ultimately unsustainable if you have a much shorter season of 8-12 episodes :). It would be really cool if for the final season there could be some way to link everything all together (too bad they already used The First in 7 bc that would obvs work) - this could even be the season where we see the original cast come back and have there be some kind of huge spell where all the past Slayers come back to life for a final fight (which is what I really wish would have happened in the original finale instead of imbuing Potentials - someone on the boards I think offered that idea on another thread ages ago and I am obsessed with it bc it's so great) - that way we could revisit all of the characters we've met for a final hurrah. Maybe something with the Watcher's Council having been rebuilt as a result of Chosen - something the Scoobs could have had a hand in at first under Giles' direction, but it gets corrupted somehow? That could be a way of pulling Buffy back in if she had decided she was done for whatever reason. We could see shades of how easily this happens throughout the series, bc in the original BTVS, it got clearer and clearer how Not Great the Council actually is - they have the potential to be a series Big Bad maybe... I also would want something about the Guardians during Sineya's season to loop them in better... Idk, lol, it's fun to think about! So many different directions and storylines to go in!

*Or oooh! I just thought of this! Maybe there is one character or actor who always appears as a different character, but at the end it turns out they're the Big Bad or a direct link to it? Like maybe we think the opposite at first, that they're a figure like the Guardians keeping an eye on things but nope, total baddie...?

Last edited:

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
Buffy goes off and starts raising Mohra demons and invites Angel over. He gets Mohra blood on him and reverts to human. Buffy and Angel walk off into the sunset as a happy couple with the imminent death prediction no longer in effect as it has already occurred.

What could add to that is Willow saying that she has seen a document mentioned that addressed reversing the moment-of-happiness curse in the gypsy spell and they spend a season as archaeologists trying to find it. They find it, they use it, they get married and live happily ever after. Then Buffy gets sired but has Willow restore her soul and Buffy and Angel live happily forever or at least until one of them walks into a tree branch and gets dusted.

Top Bottom