• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

How do you feel about the Buffy Reboot?

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
What we need to ask ourselves is what is a reboot?
Is it to close what was down then restart it?
To remake the series but for it to be made anew?
To remake the series along the same theme, though maybe introduce a few new characters?

To change it all and have ha-ha twinkling skinned vampires the leader of whom has twinkling feet with, you know, twinkle toes!

Stake fodder
Stake fodder
That wouldn't be a re-boot, it would be a re-gret!

DeadMansParty

Townie
From what I heard last, it’s a continuation reboot. So, it acknowledges Buffy 1-7, disregards the comics as canon, and is set 20 years after season 7’s end. It’ll have a new cast (slayer will probably be a potential, given Willow’s spell), and original characters may well make an appearance at some point here and there. That’s how I understood it at least.

I’d be much less interested if they decided on a complete reboot.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
A continuation of the BTVS TV series could be fun, with complete disregard to the comics as I only saw the cover of Issue one and page one. I thought the drawings of the characters were crap and never looked at the rest of it or any other issue.
Getting rid of Angel and Spike would be a good thing (vampires that get older ?) I wonder who will continue the age old arguement Cavemen or Astronauts! Will the show be called BTVS or will they have a new one?

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
Having thought about it, maybe the whole show could be set as an intelligent program. How Buffy was in the beginning compared with how the vampires were stated to be in their life times. Logically Buffy should not have stood a chance if the famous four vampires had continued to be as they were.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
I wonder why they keep calling it the "creative arts".

So far, we have been inundated with reboots, prequels, sequels, reimaginings and every other means of stretching existing intellectual property. Doesn't anyone have any new ideas? If I want to watch a supernatural series now, Nancy Drew is the best bet, sort of a supernatural Veronica Mars and it's good. As long as I have that, I don't need a new Buffy. But if it was going to happen, there would be news of money changing hands to get a pilot written. The showrunner has been announced but there is no sign of anyone being cast for any parts. So far, I haven't seen any signs of life for the reboot so it appears to be moot. This thread is almost three years old now so if something was going to happen, we would have evidence of it by now.

thrasherpix

Scooby
Against it. Because they'll just churn out some crap that misses the original spirit and tone of the show, and whatever changes will come off as just following a formula (and if it tries to be more "woke" it will actually be less so, as that's what happens more often than not) which takes me out of the story.

To top it off the characters will be unrecognizable (take away the names and you wouldn't immediately connect them to the old show) as it's actually an original (if generic) story with the franchise names spray painted over them (similar to the recent comics).

There's a good chance that those involved with insult the old show to show how they're better (and if you disagree, and don't make them money by watching it, then there's something wrong with you, not them and how they do things over and over again).

It might not, but odds are like 90% that it will be garbage. Those aren't odds I like.

Stake fodder

What about my me?
So far, we have been inundated with reboots, prequels, sequels, reimaginings and every other means of stretching existing intellectual property. Doesn't anyone have any new ideas?

I don’t thing it’s still a thing. Is It bad or good that it won’t happen ? Your opinion !
It seems more likely to happen now, for the reason @Ethan Reigns states above, that reboots etc. are becoming so common. Even many "new" shows seem mostly derivative of an old popular one. Sometimes a reboot works, but I think it usually does only if they take the bare idea of the original show and then remake it into something new and fresh. And then, it won't seem much like the Buffy we love!

thrasherpix

Scooby
The reboots and adaptations I've seen recently are getting better, both in not feeling like a paint job exploiting the name of a franchise for a generic show that would never get the green light without stealing the name (as opposed to still feeling like the show even after they've changed the tone and mixed it up some, which in a few cases are way better than the original, at least stands out as a nice tribute), and/or in some misguided attempts at certain trends (and doing them wrong and in a counterproductive way) along with some of the other alienating elements seems to be phased out while the improvements are being left in. And it's making me more comfortable with the idea, as long as the trend continues.

I'm just not sure Joss is the right person. When he was still making a name for himself he was tolerable. But after the success went to his head he became insufferable to about everyone (which happens to a lot of big names in Hollywood). If he can snap out of it then great. If not, then I hope someone else reboots it.

Faith

Bite Me!
Administrator
Black Thorn
I’ve been out of things for a while so still trying to catch up on news.

What is the latest on this? Is it still going ahead or has it been abandoned?

If it is more of a continuation rather than a reboot I would be a lot more open to that. I’d rather it acknowledges the past and builds on it then starting again with something that means so much personally to me.

Top Bottom