• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

How do you feel about the Political thread?

How do you feel about the political thread?

• It's interesting to read others' views

• I don't like it, too negative

• I've learned a lot of things I didn't know

• I think it puts people in a bad mood. Pass.

• Other (please specify)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

You gotta go be gay for that poor, dead intern...
Black Thorn
With all due respect to Buffy Summers, I thought I'd throw this question out to the masses...especially the lurkers and new members who read but rarely post.

Don't worry, your answers will be anonymous.

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
I'm all for different points of view, diversity of thought is very important.

Hunga Munga

Potential
I hate it .

In my opinion , it lacks meaningful objectivity most the time . It's also way too toxic for the Buffy Boards family friendly ethos .... in my opinion ;) .

Been a chatty lurker here for 5+ years ...When the politics chat started getting frisky , I was seriously thinking about moving on .

Hunga Munga

Potential
I go through phases of that too Nixy , much prefer it all in one thread so it's possible to avoid it .

Nix
Nix
Definitely, must easier to avoid.
Reactions: Nix

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
I have learned a number of things and I have found it interesting to see what is on the other side of the fence. I started out as being totally against Trump and for Biden but this has moderated a bit. I understand the attraction to Trump and maybe Biden is not the golden boy CNN makes him out to be. Again, this is one thread - if you don't like reading opinions contrary to your own, you don't need to read it. I suggest we continue the thread - it is one of my favourites.

There was an interesting article in the 08 December 2018 issue of The Economist called "The Partisan Brain/ what psychology experiments tell you about people who deny facts", showing that on subjects like climate change denial, handgun bans test subjects of both parties had different MRI responses to statements that were consistent with or challenged their viewpoint. In another test on the subject of same-sex marriage conducted by the University of Winnipeg, respondents were given the chance to win a prize of $10 if they would read and respond to eight arguments against their viewpoint but a prize of only $7 if they chose to read and reply to eight arguments in favour of their view. Almost two-thirds gave up the chance of the greater prize rather than have to read something against their own opinions. The fact that people would give up money to avoid being exposed to an opposing point of view is the reason broadcasters like CNN and Fox News do better when only siding with one point of view. Balanced reporting is something few people want to see.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I think it's good to have a political thread, especially when it's an election year, and since there is so much at stake during this specific presidential election, there needs to be a political thread to discuss what is going on.

Whilst it can get a bit lively, by keeping it to a specific thread, rather than having bits and pieces spread around the board, people can avoid it if they wish to do so. Alternatively, there could be an election thread rather than a generalised political thread which may keep focus more on what the Trump/Pence/Republicans and Biden/Harris/Democrats are doing rather than focussing too much on the bad behaviour of BLM since that seems to cause a lot of trouble.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Black Thorn
I think it's good to have a political thread, especially when it's an election year, and since there is so much at stake during this specific presidential election, there needs to be a political thread to discuss what is going on.

Whilst it can get a bit lively, by keeping it to a specific thread, rather than having bits and pieces spread around the board, people can avoid it if they wish to do so. Alternatively, there could be an election thread rather than a generalised political thread which may keep focus more on what the Trump/Pence/Republicans and Biden/Harris/Democrats are doing rather than focussing too much on the bad behaviour of BLM since that seems to cause a lot of trouble.
Honestly, I feel that after five political threads, everything that can be said has been said. For the most part, politics is an unpleasant subject. And most people want to AVOID unpleasantness, especially these days, which is why they go to sites like Buffy Boards.

The internet has lots of political discusssion boards, which are tailor made for people who want to debate, etc. Frankly, I do not feel a dedicated political thread is needed here. It drains away the positive vibes.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Honestly, I feel that after five political threads, everything that can be said has been said.
I disagree. If we aren't allowed to post what made us laugh or what we are watching if it contains anything politically related except in the political thread, and that thread is gone, it is just incentive NOT to post as much.

Oromous

Socially Awkward
Sineya
I try to stay out of it unless I have a neutral point of view to insert or just a funny joke that's too political to post anywhere else. For starters, not American, so most things I say about the American politics would be... you know, kinda patronizing and condescending. I live in Singapore, so I don't even have the excuse of saying I live in the proximity of America. It's like 10,000 miles away or something compared to the likes of England and Europe.

And then of course, there's just the fact that I have very, very poor debating skills, and as you might have noticed from interacting with me, I'm just way too sensitive and touchy to deal with political topics very well. I'd much rather stay out of trouble than put myself in the line of fire.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Black Thorn
I disagree. If we aren't allowed to post what made us laugh or what we are watching if it contains anything politically related except in the political thread, and that thread is gone, it is just incentive NOT to post as much.
Ahem. People are ALREADY not posting as much.

And its mostly because of the bitter after taste of that political thread. Sure, no one is forcing them to read it. But curiosity is a part of human nature. Like people slowing down to gawk at a traffic accident, many of us would check out the political thread. Occasionally, there would be some great conversation. But too often, a lot of posts were just repetitive, and it was like being in the film Groundhog's Day....without Bill Murray.

I

Last edited:

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
People are ALREADY not posting as much. Have you not noticed?
Not really. But I don't really read that many posts. Usually what are you watching and what made you LOL and some of the occasional random posts. But I think you were talking about people not posting as much before the political thread.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Black Thorn
Not really. But I don't really read that many posts. Usually what are you watching and what made you LOL and some of the occasional random posts. But I think you were talking about people not posting as much before the political thread.
I read A LOT of posts because I'm OCD and I'm here quite a bit.

Yes, I had mentioned that people weren't posting as much before the initial political thread. But the lack of posts increased exponentially as each new thread appeared.

Myheadsgonenumb

Potential
I like that it's on one thread so I can just avoid it. I skimmed it yesterday - it's fine, I wasn't horrified or anything, but I'm here for the Buffy talk - I don't go on any of the reoccurring Bronze threads - in the nicest way possible, I don't care what made you lol today. But these boards are a community and if people in that community want to talk politics with other members of that community and there is a space for it (which there is because there's an entire non Buffy post board) there's no reason no to.

And I disagree that everything has been said that needs to be said in 5 threads - politics never stops. Sometimes it's more "interesting" than other times but it's always happening, there will always be new things to discuss - even if old ground is gone over and over as well.

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
I don't know. Politics influences everything so having it all smooshed into one thread isn't ideal. Used to be quite nice to have threads on specific issues or drift off topic and find your way back. When you've been here a while and aren't in Buffy mode it's good to be able to talk about different bits.

I understand it though. Seeing the same thing repeated across the board certainly created an atmosphere that discouraged new input. Not to mention long standing people who were put off to such an extent that the whole place lost its appeal.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
It's literally 3 weeks from the election and the results so there needs to be a thread to discuss that. Are there any more debates due? I think once the election is done and the dust has settled on the results (however long that takes because it won't be plain sailing), things will calm down a little.

Perhaps maybe have a short break from a political thread (unless there is a debate) but definitely have one for the presidential election and results and then see where things go from there?

sk

The Overlooked One
Sineya
Mostly I think it’s interesting to read other views.
Kinda wish that I had more time to get into it more though. Check things more closely and ask questions.
But it just takes more time than I have at the moment.

Having it restrained to one thread was an improvement imho.
It really can get toxic at times and I think the one thread rule helped keeping that under control.

/SK

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
I think it's an important safety valve, to draw political conversation away from the rest of the site, as it of course, will happen in an election year. However, I am aware that, in terms of manpower, moderating politics is a little more manpower intensive than moderating a 20 year old TV series.

Top Bottom