• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

How far Willow wasted her abilities

So why willow who is a powerful witch never used her talent to made a lot of money in the show ? imagine how rich she could have be with all this power.
Even her hacking's skill would had be great for a bussiness .instead we got willow being lazy and not helping buffy about the money's storyline.

LemonBanana

Scooby
Sineya
I dont think the show was about that, the big thing was the transition between high school Willow and older Willow and how dangerous her powers can get! She did help the scoobys quite a bit with her magic as well, but when she decided not to use magic for a while it was best because the magicks became like drugs for our sweet little Willow. Whedon was VERY clever with his writing, he wanted us to know no one and nothing was safe! Season 1-3 Will was super sweet and innocent, but many things changed her (magic included)! You also have to remember magic isnt for money, especially when your mate is a Slayer, there are more important things! Love this thread 😊 💕

Last edited:
Darthroserbeng
Darthroserbeng
Yes her storyline was about losing herself with her lust for power and become more dangerous with magic , but i am jut annoyed that she the only one without a job on screen , i wish we could have see her used her abilities in that way once
I dont think the show was about that, the big thing was the transition between high school Willow and older Willow and how dangerous her powers can get! She did help the scoobys quite a bit with her magic as well, but when she decided not to use magic for a while it was best because the magicks became like drugs for our sweet little Willow. Whedon was VERY clever with his writing, he wanted us to know no one and nothing was safe! Season 1-3 Will was super sweet and innocent, but many things changed her (magic included)! You also have to remember magic isnt for money, especially when your mate is a Slayer, there are more important things! Love this thread 😊 💕
About the edited part sure whedon did a good job writing her, but it was not perfect (not fan of the drug's storyline and her season 7 persona), Sure " Magic is not for money " but i like to imagine how great that would be for a business . Well i don't deny that willow was indeed useful for the scoobies and did what she could to help sometimes.

Last edited:

LemonBanana

Scooby
Sineya
About the edited part sure whedon did a good job writing her, but it was not perfect (not fan of the drug's storyline and her season 7 persona), Sure " Magic is not for money " but i like to imagine how great that would be for a business . Well i don't deny that willow was indeed useful for the scoobies and did what she could to help sometimes.
I think we think logically! If Buffy was real life, and that level of magic was achievable then of course you would want to use it for money (I probably would teehee)! I think how they wrote her for the show was pretty good (not perfect, but pretty damn amazing) and if it had been all about money, the show wouldnt have been as excellent as it was but lets say it wasnt a show and humans could do magic, people would automatically want money because thats what humans are like! I hope this makes sense 😊 💕

Darthroserbeng
Darthroserbeng
I totally get what you mean , i am not saying that "it should be writing all about money ", a few scene would have be enough . Thanks for your love about this thread it is my first one 🤗😳

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
What's with all the Willow hate of late? 😩

Darthroserbeng
Darthroserbeng
I don't hate her lmao (did you see my pseudo ?), this is not a bashing thread .i just hate how she was the jobless one in the show , when she could have made million dollar with her magic
LemonBanana
LemonBanana
You know i love Willow! @Darthroserbeng she really wasnt jobless AT ALL, your missing the point of Buffy, its not about money, its about the story and Willow is a big and amazing part of that story!
@LemonBanana you misterdood what this threat is about , like i try to explain in my previous reply, i'm not saying that is should be or is about money or that willow character is about that . I just try to discuss the potential of willow could have done with magic in ealier s6 in one scene (or see her started a business with tara ,like we saw xander , buffy even anya having a job , why willow and tara did not, sure they were students but the writers could still have show them doing something )and help buffy with this money's storyline issue instead of that awful bad writing with no one helped her execpt giles

Last edited:

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
The short answer is, yes. Willow is a child who has confused potential with achievement, and her magical abilities are fairly erratic.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
There is a theory that magical abilities should never be used for personal gain or circumstances will come about that will return the money to its original owners and destroy these abilities in the person who misused them.

Her hacking skills are actually more useful because she could have been a whistleblower for any wrongdoing (like the mayor and his sponsorship of Slayerfest 99). Hacking to transfer money is a criminal offence for good reason.

Since Joyce was listed as the owner of the art gallery, Buffy would have inherited the business but it is doubtful that this would have gone through probate, but no one indicates any interest in selling or running the gallery. Unless (or even if) her business is in arrears, it has some value. Even a business plan for the gallery has some cash value.

Darthroserbeng
Darthroserbeng
Rack deny that theory

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
Maybe following the drug metaphor they could have Willow sell magic crack to people for money.
Taking over from Rack? Or in competition with him?

When they discovered the Doublemeat Palace secret, they could have had money then, but all Buffy asked for was her job back.

Darthroserbeng
Darthroserbeng
Yeah there were probably off screen fact that we never knew about

thrasherpix

Scooby
Willow, and her male version (Warren), both could've become billionaires from their knowledge of radically advanced robotics even without magic, rubbing shoulders with David Nabbit (though magic could help make sure Willow got a fair deal). Heck, they way she's courted in high school (during career day) where recruiters flew in by jet say that others saw her potential, and they likely didn't realize she worked on Ted (can't remember if Ted happened by then or not).

If mercenary magic didn't work, W&H would be in trouble.

I'd say that thinking of making money through magic not being allowable is missing the point if they can't tell the difference between out of control greed (and exploiting others, which would get grouped with mind control magicks) and just taking care of loved ones (otherwise it would be evil to use magic to help with the crops and hunt and human fertility in the ancient days and so on). As long as money is the means to helping others rather than the end in of itself, then that should be okay.

On top of that, as someone who entertains children at birthday parties as one of my jobs (at least before the pandemic), I can just imagine how much joy she could bring to parties (which the parents would assume were tricks rather than real magic) that should be its own reward, and then using the money gratefully given to take care of Dawn (which means paying the bills in addition to all the things a teenager needs, and I'm sure maintaining the Buffybot and getting the urn wasn't cheap, either) is also helping rather than being greedy and selfish.

LemonBanana

Scooby
Sineya
@Darthroserbeng i get what you are saying dont worry! I myself being a practising wicca am always taught by my teachers never to use it for self centred purposes, thats all i am saying on my posts, i love Willow and think this thread is great so no hate on you both! 😊 💕

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
To be fair, Willow never appeared to give much credence to Wiccan notions of ethics or metaphysics, it's more like she yanked whatever bits of magical knowledge she found, until it lead her to genuine witchcraft. Which she never really understood.

Top Bottom