• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

How Old Is Dawn Exactly?

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
This has probably been asked on this board before but I can't be bothered searching for it, but how old is Dawn, exactly?

I know that she was supposed to be a lot younger originally- say about twelve, but in actual fact on the show she's what? 14? 15?

I need it for a fic I'm going to write about one of Dawn's birthday's during the series. :)

Thanks in advance. :)

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
I think she's 15 in s4. I'm sort of blanking though, she might be 14.

The Chosen

Time is all around
Sineya
She's 15 in season 5, and probably turns 16 sometime during it...which places her at 19.5/aaalmost 20 by the start of season 8!

After that? Who knows.

HisMrs
HisMrs
[No message]
thetopher
thetopher
Thanks!

CordelliasHeart

Potential
Well 3 answers

Keys been around for eons.

Dawns chronicalagical age is listed at 14 at the start of season 5

She begins her existence as Dawn summers at the very end of Season 5 episode 1

towards the end of the scene buffy said "True, but technicaly you are one and a half" when dawn was whining to be allowed to go patrolling.

Evil Angelus 95

Total Dork
Sineya
Yep yep, that's always been my understanding is that she's currently around 21 in Season 10 (I'm really not keeping up with the comics anymore so I could be wrong)

crazysoulless

Scooby
Clue 1: Dawn told Riley "I had my birthday party here" and that they had just moved to Sunnydale so she hadn't made friends yet.
Clue 2: Buffy was already 16 when they moved to Sunnydale "life and death when you're a 16 year old girl"
Clue 3: Buffy's birthday is Jan 19, 1981
Clue 4: The Harvest could only take place on the first crescent moon after the summer solstice (June) or winter solstice (December) and since they wouldn't be in school yet in July it means it could've been no earlier than January
Clue 5: Dawn was still 14 on Buffy's 20th birthday so Dawn's birthday is after 1/19
Clue 6: Buffy says in Witch that she has been slaying over a year
Clue 7: Buffy was 15 when she became the Slayer so she could be slaying no sooner than January 1996 so Witch takes place after January 1997
Clue 8: Dawn was 14 in August 2000, still 14 in January 2001 but was 15 in October 2001 so her birthday has to be in Spring

Conclusion: Dawn was "born" around February or March of 1986.

Wait. She turned 10 in 1997 but turned 14 in 2000? BtVS math, man. Maybe she meant her 11th birthday party. Although given that she was in 8th grade when she was 14/15, I'm gonna say the show screwed up and didn't think to make her 13 when she started unless we're to headcanon she had to repeat a school year.

Last edited:

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
Clue 1: Dawn told Riley "I had my birthday party here" and that they had just moved to Sunnydale so she hadn't made friends yet.
Clue 2: Buffy was already 16 when they moved to Sunnydale "life and death when you're a 16 year old girl"
Clue 3: Buffy's birthday is Jan 19, 1981
Clue 4: The Harvest could only take place on the first crescent moon after the summer solstice (June) or winter solstice (December) and since they wouldn't be in school yet in July it means it could've been no earlier than January
Clue 5: Dawn was still 14 on Buffy's 20th birthday so Dawn's birthday is after 1/19
Clue 6: Buffy says in Witch that she has been slaying over a year
Clue 7: Buffy was 15 when she became the Slayer so she could be slaying no sooner than January 1996 so Witch takes place after January 1997
Clue 8: Dawn was 14 in August 2000, still 14 in January 2001 but was 15 in October 2001 so her birthday has to be in Spring

Conclusion: Dawn was "born" around February or March of 1986.

Wait. She turned 10 in 1997 but turned 14 in 2000? BtVS math, man. Maybe she meant her 11th birthday party. Although given that she was in 8th grade when she was 14/15, I'm gonna say the show screwed up and didn't think to make her 13 when she started unless we're to headcanon she had to repeat a school year.
So looks like Dawn was 14 when she first showed up & from what you said I going to say March 19 .
Thst way Dawn was 'born" 5 years & 2 months after Buffy .

NileQT87

Billowy Coat, King of Pain
Buffy was actually 15, almost 16, when school started in early January. Her birthday definitely hadn't happened yet, though. Winter/spring semester started on January 6, 1997. It is indeed the first crescent moon part of the lunar cycle after the winter solstice.

Teacher's Pet takes place BEFORE mid-terms in late January (the teacher was talking about mid-terms). Witch takes place right around Buffy's 16th birthday. Joyce's mention of her daughter being 16 is probably the day before her birthday at the latest, going by days of the school week. Witch's last scene is on Buffy's birthday. No other place to put it.

And her birthday has to be on January 21. If her birthday was January 19, she went to school on a lot of weekends and MLK, Jr. Day.

You have to ignore air dates when the calendar, stated day of the week or lunar cycle makes it impossible.

Dawn appeared as a 14 year old around August 24, 2000.

Last edited:

crazysoulless

Scooby
Buffy was actually 15, almost 16, when school started in early January. Her birthday definitely hadn't happened yet, though. Winter/spring semester started on January 6, 1997. It is indeed the first crescent moon part of the lunar cycle after the winter solstice.

Teacher's Pet takes place BEFORE mid-terms in late January (the teacher was talking about mid-terms). Witch takes place right around Buffy's 16th birthday. Joyce's mention of her daughter being 16 is probably the day before her birthday at the latest, going by days of the school week. Witch's last scene is on Buffy's birthday. No other place to put it.

And her birthday has to be on January 21. If her birthday was January 19, she went to school on a lot of weekends and MLK, Jr. Day.

You have to ignore air dates when the calendar, stated day of the week or lunar cycle makes it impossible.

Dawn appeared as a 14 year old around August 24, 2000.
Buffy's birthday, I'm pretty sure, has been confirmed by the writers as January 19. It's one of the few things fans agree on.

In s4's Doomed Buffy told Riley that she is "Capricorn on the cusp of Aquarius." January 19th is the last day of Capricorn so it'd put her on the cusp of Aquarius.

Joyce says Buffy is 16 in WTTH so unless she is rounding up it can't be in Witch. I think on Gilmore Girls Lorelei rounded up on Rory's age in the first episode, saying, "She's 16" when she didn't have her 16th birthday until the 6th episode.

I agree the first crescent moon is in early January so The Harvest should be then but think the writers didn't realize that.

Did the early episodes mention WTTH was the beginning of the second semester or was it just Buffy's first day there?

Last edited:

NileQT87

Nope. Look at a calendar. Not agreed on. Remember, episodes don't just happen on one day. Forget the air dates. You have to look at a calendar, lunar cycles, stated days of the week, school schedules, etc...

School started when Buffy was still 15, but it is just weeks before her 16th birthday. Xander turned 17 before Buffy did.

It just doesn't work. Unless you want her at school on Sunday and a school holiday both. People who think it's the 19th have never looked at a calendar. Surprise and Helpless both necessitate the 21st.

There's no room for fudging when mid-terms are, either. The last day of Teacher's Pet is the Monday of the last week of January. The teacher is telling the class how many pages mid-terms will be. Some episodes also overlap weeks.

Torrance High School's own calendar is an excellent source to guide you when certain events usually occur at most California schools.

I've been working on a calendar project for the last 7 years. I also fit in comics and books. It's NOT as simple as looking at an air date. The cusp of Aquarius line unfortunately is a casualty of the writers being too stupid to look at a calendar.

Do bother to look at a school schedule for when the semester starts pretty much everywhere. The lunar calendar also disagrees with you about when the first crescent moon after the winter solstice was (early January). Anyway, many people will say they're the next age up when it's just days away.

Last edited:

crazysoulless

Scooby
Nope. Look at a calendar. Not agreed on. Remember, episodes don't just happen on one day. Forget the air dates. You have to look at a calendar, lunar cycles, stated days of the week, school schedules, etc...

School started when Buffy was still 15, but it is just weeks before her 16th birthday. Xander turned 17 before Buffy did.

It just doesn't work. Unless you want her at school on Sunday and a school holiday both. People who think it's the 19th have never looked at a calendar. Surprise and Helpless both necessitate the 21st.

There's no room for fudging when mid-terms are, either. The last day of Teacher's Pet is the Monday of the last week of January. The teacher is telling the class how many pages mid-terms will be. Some episodes also overlap weeks.

Torrance High School's own calendar is an excellent source to guide you when certain events usually occur at most California schools.

I've been working on a calendar project for the last 7 years. I also fit in comics and books. It's NOT as simple as looking at an air date. The cusp of Aquarius line unfortunately is a casualty of the writers being too stupid to look at a calendar.

Do bother to look at a school schedule for when the semester starts pretty much everywhere. The lunar calendar also disagrees with you about when the first crescent moon after the winter solstice was (early January). Anyway, many people will say they're the next age up when it's just days away.
A calendar project sounds really cool.

If Buffy's birthday was in Witch, Xander would have given her the bracelet as a birthday gift instead of a good luck gift.

I agreed with you about when the first crescent moon was supposed to be so I don't know how I'm wrong about that?

I never thought it was about air dates. I usually go by what is said in the episodes. Like Willow saying she's been magic free for 32 days so that day in Dead Things is 4 1/2 weeks after Gone. And since Spike was still injured in Older & Far Away, that was only a few days since Dead Things.

Or how Spike said Buffy was resurrected on day 148 (5 months). She died in May (her GD#2 dream was exactly 730 days before it and class was still happening but it was close to graduation) so Bargaining was in October. The first 6 episodes took place within weeks since All the Way was on Halloween.

Sunnydale High might operate differently than other schools, changing when people take midterms or whatever, on account of Joss Whedon's favorite excuse "weird things happen on a Hellmouth" and so many students & faculty die.

NileQT87

Nah, can't fudge the start of the semester and mid-terms. Can't fudge on certain holidays either. And Buffy's birthday is a week AFTER the bracelet (Witch ends on Buffy's birthday Monday with the cheerleading trophy's eyes moving--the rest of the episode was the week before, so Xander's present just being friendship is fine). It's a scene where you could conceivably believe people aren't talking about her birthday and the characters could conceivably celebrate after school, because the subject is Amy and Catherine in one single scene. Teacher's Pet is likewise the week before mid-terms, except for the very last scene being on the Monday of the next week (and it's the same week as mid-terms on Wednesday-Thursday-Friday). Angel at the Bronze at the end is sometime over the weekend (Saturday or Sunday).

In one's birthday month, it's not at all uncommon to round up to using the age you're turning really, really soon. WttH and Witch are excusable with Joyce saying Buffy is a 16-year-old girl a couple weeks or a mere day early. The crescent moon thing matches the semester's beginning (bravo to whoever looked it up).

Once again, you're not realizing just how many days episodes take place across. Some episodes are only a day; some are more than a week! Some are continuous arcs that overlap days repeatedly (air dates become useless here). Every time there's a day/night and outfit change, it's usually a new day unless stated or by necessity (if an episode ends during a morning and you desperately need to double up when an episode starts at night, I've doubled them before with no other option). Some episodes outright tell you what day of the week it is. Episode scripts (not transcripts) also often give extra details that hint or even tell the day of the week or specify how much time has passed between scenes. Deleted scenes also give hints about how much time was intended to have passed (such as Joyce coming home from the hospital in 1x07 or Angel being the only attendee at Tina's funeral mid-episode).

Then there are things like Spike watching Dawson's Creek (now there's an air date that matters, because it's specifically stated--that season didn't start until October!) or the Vikings game (look up their 1999 sports schedule) playing in City of... Yes, I'm the dork that even looked up what nights the Vikings were playing in 1999. It happened to work flawlessly, including with the crossover, but made it very clear what day of the week that scene occurred on.

I looked up several California schools to compare schedules and looked up differences in holidays between counties. The only time I had to fudge was the fact that Torrance HS celebrates both Washington's Birthday/Presidents' Day (3-day weekend) and Lincoln's Birthday (the week before). Well, episodes are majorly in trouble in season 2 because of Valentine's Day and Oz's werewolf schedule if Lincoln's Birthday on Monday is observed. However, then I found out that other schools even in the same district (LAUSD) and in other districts (Sunnydale is based on Santa Barbara's map) don't even get that day off like Torrance HS does.

7-3-0's countdown actually starts in May (May 17, 1999 if May 16, 2001 is when she died), whereas school ends towards the latter part of June (June 23 would be Graduation Day 1999). The countdown had already started a bit, but Faith's words are still in the spirit of a two-year countdown. Dawn is having Parent-Teacher Day in Bargaining (which suggests she's been back to school for a few weeks) right before Buffy is resurrected, so Buffy definitely died around May 16 and was resurrected around October 10 (147 days).

Cordy's birthday being stated to be May 22, 1981 means that everything after Birthday happens AFTER that date. The rest of the season with the Angel-Wesley-Holtz-Connor stuff is mainly in June. Connor was probably conceived on the night of February 23-24, 2001 (note that Nathan Reed's computer calendar fills in the date for Dead End and random W&H things in March-April). Connor was born the night of November 29-30, 2001, given the stated full moon the night after. Connor was in Quor'toth about 18.5 days.

Joyce died right after Spring Break (April 23, 2001, most likely), as I Was Made to Love You specifically takes place during Spring Break (Warren left the Aprilbot behind in his dorm for the week and that's what the party is celebrating).

Last edited:

zoe

Townie
i always tought Dawn had 16 on S7, the same age that Buffy when she got on school on the hell mouth

Tbpear

Potential
Sineya
Dawn is 14 on Season 5.
Joyce explains that to her on Blood Ties.
Which would make her 16 or 17 during the final season.
And by S11 she'd be 20/21

Top Bottom