• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

How the years have gone by

fauxindigo

Scooby
You can always find something good to say about even what's considered the worst of BtVS. I don't consider most of the "bad episodes" actually bad... just not BtVS's greatest. It's mostly the bad monster of the week episodes of seasons 1 & 2 that bother me like...
Some Assembly Required just a gross precursor to the grossness of Warren in Seasons 5 & 6, building the "perfect" girl.
Inca Mummy Girl the only episode that ever put me to sleep, but it's not that bad. Ampata could've just been played out to better/longer effect so we cared more about her.
Teachers Pet if you can get past the dated dark camera graininess and bad sound/special effects throughout the episode, there's a good monster of the week story here; even if the cliffhanger is never followed up on unfortunately.
Bad Eggs Even though the whole egg baby/sex ed thing was stupid, I'm a sucker for body snatcher stories. it's kind of a fun monster of the week romp.
Nightmares silly and cheesy/dated at times, it's still the first "romp" style episode in the same vein as Bewitched Bothered Bewildered, Band Candy, Something Blue, Tabula Rasa etc...
Never Kill A Boy on the First Date... the episode drags and is kind of boring but I still can't help but like Owen. I also kind of love how Owen turns down Cordelia.
Into the Woods Buffy has a cool fight in the alley, and the story of Riley letting vamps suck his blood is actually kind of interesting because it comes from his inferiority complex relating to not being "dark" enough for Buffy. Seeing her with Spike the following season in As You Were was kind of a full circle moment.

And a lot of episodes that most consider the worst, I actually love; like...
Go Fish I love the creature from the Black Lagoon reference. And I like new characters, like the Nurse, Cameron and Gage- I just wish they didn't all die- even if Cameron was a sleaze. And I just wish it didn't end on a cliffhanger like Teachers Pet.
Where the Wild Things Are I never really understood why people don't like this one. The ghost story is palpable and the entire episode is scary yet funny. Plus Giles/ASH singing is never bad.
Beer Bad Beer makes people stupid. Yes, it's an obvious metaphor with the "magic" beer, but so what? It's fun and hilarious...
Doublemeat Palace cheesy but that's its charm; very monster of the week formula which I love and I love the real life/work is hell reference in this episode like what was explored in Flooded & Life Serial.
The Killer in Me Willow changing into Warren because of her guilt from "moving on" from Tara is genius. It gives Tara a somewhat proper goodbye after the shit show that was Villains/Two to Go/Grave. Last appearance of Amy. And the ending when Willow says she killed Tara because she let her be dead... kills me- Alysons crying/acting is on point here as already proven in episodes like Grave & Wild at Heart.
Smashed/Wrecked/Gone I actually love the obvious drug reference/metaphor with Willow's magic addiction. Willow & Amy out on the town, getting high while Buffy is sinking into her sex addiction with Spike is juicy af!

Athena

The original one-eyed chicklet
Staff member
Black Thorn
Taake! That's me! And eh... oh... yeah... hm... we definitely talked about the body switch in season 4 I think (when we did a Faith four-parter?), I don't think we've done the Witch... because @Athena whips me whenever I suggest we do season 1 :p

I think you'll find my exact quote was "Nothing from S1 except The Puppet Show" :p

We've not done Witch, but I remember it fondly so maybe we should!
Maybe you should have a safe word like "Owen". Or grab the whip between your hands, push back on it and have the whip handle hit her in the jaw like in "Becoming part 2". But maybe that doesn't work with a whip the way it does with a sword. With a whip, grab it. pull it towards you and give her a spanking, to hell with Swedish law.

You sound far too into this scenario, so I'm just going to quickly call my lawyer.... brb! ;)

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
Never Kill a Boy on a First Date

• So many prophecies in season one
  • I like that Buffy actually knew something that Giles didn't with the ring
  • Cordelia so isn't used to a boy preferring someone else over her
  • Why would Buffy really ask Xander for fashion advice!
  • Angel, wonder where he gets all his info from
  • Owen not going all panicky and joining the fight
  • The morning after the night before, awkward!
What happens to Owen, I don't remember if we see him again?

Octavia
Octavia
He dies of old age before high school finishes

nightshade

Staff member
Black Thorn
The Pack

• This trip seems to have a lack of teachers, but then I don't really know how many usually go as I didn't really go on trips
  • Ah Sunnydale Zoo, the start of the Sunnydale expansion
  • Positively No Admittance
  • Throwing away the books does help with the school stress
  • Dodgeball is brutal
  • It's the browncoats, oh no it's just the mean kids with Xander as their leader
  • Angel is dangerous and mean, Xander you've barely met him!
  • "They ate him"
  • Willow should have been given a tranquilliser gun
  • Poor Jesse already forgotten
  • Love the bit of Giles/Xander bonding at the end

Taake
Taake
"They ate him", such a great line

nightshade

Staff member
Black Thorn
Angel

• First time we get a recap, wonder if there was a bit of break in the showing before this
  • The Three, guess they couldn't think of a name for them
  • Angel's responses to Buffy's questioning, "somebody has to" "they're dead"
  • Seems a bit harsh to kill The Three instead of them just trying to kill her again
  • Awwwww Angel and Buffy's first kiss
  • I like that the Angel/Darla backstory mentioned here is pretty much kept throughout the series
  • Willow is more Xander focused than I remembered
  • Oops Joyce got invited in, Buffy probably should have at least told her mother not to invite people she doesn't know in
  • Angel, wrong place wrong time, at least for Buffy although it does stop Joyce dying
  • Love this bit in the Bronze with Angel explaining the curse and all that happened, and Buffy being vulnerable to him, shows that actually she still trusts him
  • Darla has the guns, opens up the what can harm a vampire thing, guns can't but they are still painful.
  • This seems like the start of Buffy really feeling when Angel is around, instead of just general someone is following here feeling.

MarieVampSlayer

Bloody hell, Sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers..
Sineya
@Ethan Reigns The repeating music was Cher (how can we forget it!) but the poster was Celine Dion :

1526994577071.png

I never noticed before how Katie looked like Celine on this picture!

MarieVampSlayer

Bloody hell, Sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers..
Sineya
Ok confession time, usually when I do a rewatch I'll watch season one, then start watching eps I like from 2-5, maybe watch OMWF or Tabula Rasa and that's about it, season 7 is pretty much a blur, I have seen it, I know what happens, but when things happen in it I have no idea anymore! Anyway The Harvest:

• Vampires seem to overreact a lot, a small cross, some holy water, none are as dramatic later in the seasons
  • Also so noisy, lots of growling noises from vamps
  • I'm sure that Darla had a relationship with the Master, maybe before Angelus or after he was cursed, but something had to have happened
  • A lot of trust has formed between them already, not just with Buffy's slayer secret but trusting Buffy to get Jesse back and to be able to find her own way into the Bronze.
  • We already start to see a different side of Willow, one that will "accidentally" decrypt files
  • So i'm a bit confused here, they went to the Bronze on the Thursday night, lost Jesse but still went to school on the Friday? Not searchig for him til the next day sounds a bit odd
  • So Xander followed Buffy, did that mean he heard the talk between Buffy and Angel.
  • Giles is already kinda harsh with Xander, he's known about vampires for a day or two and his best friend has just been turned into one.
  • The Earth is doomed

Since you seem on the fence for S7, I'll tell you why you should watch every episodes of the season:

- Lessons: Where going back to Sunnydale high! I love the opening sequence with the first potential girl we see being hunted by the First minions. It's quite scary and a great mystery at this point. Also, Buffy is finally training Dawn and the First morphing in all the big bads of the latter seasons is qute fun!

- Beneath you: Another hunted potential and she has a edgy Run Lola Run look. Anya realising Spike has a soul before everyone is very cute. The image of Spike on the cross is also very sad but pretty.

- Same time, same place: The gnarls demon is one of the scariest of the serie and it's a great episode for Willow who is trying to reconnect with her friends.

-Help: Ok first Cassie is awesome and I so wish she was a potential slayer so we could see more of her. However, it's very rare that we see Buffy losing and this is necessary because it is true that the slayer can't save them all. It's also a great metaphor for things to come.

- Selfless: This is a much needed Anya centric episode. We get a extra OMWF song and tons of flashbacks which are always great!

- Him: This episode is the funniest of the season and I just love Willow, Anya and Buffy under the jacket spell. Also, the Buffy speech to Dawn about how no guy is worth dying for is very important IMO.

- Conversations with dead people: This one is a must watch for sure! Holden the vampire is both insighful and funny at the same time. The emotional rollercoaster that is the Willow and Cassie part almost perfect. Dawn is both vulnerable and very strong in this episode which is what makes her so great in this season. And the evil Spike reveal is quite interesting.

- Sleeper: There is great scoobie moments in this one and since thoses are are in this season I cheerish them. Anya is hilarious when she lies about wanting to have sex with Spike again. The sleeper agent was a good idea too because it kept Spike evil a little longer. Aimee Mann's comment about vampire town is also quite funny!

- Never leave me: There is a great bonding moment between Xander and Anya when they interrogate Andrew in a good cop bad cop way. Maybe I'm evil but I do love it when the watchers council headquarter exploses (oups).

- Bring on the night: Giles is back finally with much needed information! We are introduced to the ubervampire and he is quite deadly. We get to have a little bit of Drusilla even if it's a fake-out by the First. The Buffy beyond scare speech is very inspirational.

- Showtime: Buffy's thunderdome is epic!!! Giles and Anya go on a mission together and it's always fun to see them together. The scoobies work together and proves that this is the best way to defeat the monsters.

- Potentials: Amanda is a very likeable character and she is very different kind of badass women. Spike training the potentials is very fun and necessary. This is also the best Dawn of the serie and I just love her!

- The Killer in me: The idea of Willow turning into her worst enemy is very interesting and well treated. Althought I hate Warren, I like seeing him back as the actor is very good in this role. There is also a funny moment where the scoobies think Giles is the First and all touched him at the same time.

- First date: Ok this episode is hard to love as it is campy as hell for a later season but I will try and find good moments. We learn that Wood is Nikki's son and thats very emotionnal. Andrew trying to pump the First for information with a wire is very funny and awkward.

- Get it done: We finally learn the origin of the slayer and Anya and Spike have a bonding moment which actually happens a lot and should probably have been explored more.

- Storyteller: This is Andrews best moment and the ending is a very emotionnal step in his character development. His introduction of the characters is so funny and the overall comic tone adds some much needed lightness to the season.

- Lies my parents told me: Spike flashbacks! Honestly, who doesn't love some Fag Four flashbacks? This is a great character episode and you can choose your side if you feel more for Spike or Wood.

- Dirty Girls: Caleb is introduce and Nathan Fillion is chilling in this character which was a must needed addition to the bad guys. Faith is back and thinks for a moment she is the good slayer and Buffy is the bad one. Faith and Spike bonds over being outsiders and it's quite fun to watch. The ending is quite shocking and ups the stakes for things to come.

- Empty places: Willow and Xander have a funny but sad bonding moment in the hospital which shows that they will always be the best of friends in the verse. Anya and Andrew are hilarious together when they try to help potentials. Spike also has a hilarious moment with Spike when they are sent on a mission together on his motocycle! This is the first time the potentials team up together to fight which is necessary and badass!

- Touched: As you all know, the Spike speech is amazing wheter you are a Spuffy or not. The First comes back as the Mayor to screw with Faith and we realise how much we miss him. Dawn has a very Watcher moment and we realize how intelligent she is.

- End of days: Buffy discovers the Scythe and it's awesome. Again the potentials show they are not useless as they rescue Faith and the others that have survived the bombing. Another badass moment for Dawn (a lot of theses in S7) where she tase Xander. Buffy and Faith have a great bonding moment where they talk about being lonely and hot chicks with superpowers. Anya and Andrew have a wheelchair fight. Oh and Angel is back!

- Chosen: By far the best episode, There is sooooo many good moments that it's hard to choose. Buffy slays Caleb while Angel watches with a smiles. The cookie dough analogy, the potentials, Faith and Buffy kicking serious ass, Willow's goodess powerful moment,the summers sisters ``violent`` moment, Buffy realisation that the good side will win and her speech to the potentials. Did I miss anything? Honestly, everything is epic in this one!

Hope this helps you get to the end for your re-watch!

nightshade
nightshade
I don't actually remember most of these episodes!
badsister
badsister
i think it's interesting to watch Damaged after Chosen. kinda gives you knew perspective

nightshade

Staff member
Black Thorn
I Robot You Jane

• The demon here kinda reminds me, in looks, of Giles in A New Man
  • This is the first time we meet Jenny, an there's clearly flirting there already
  • Xander showing that actually he does have some knowledge
  • Malcolm has done his research on Buffy
  • Does no one log off computers, or shut them down
  • Buffy must have the library's number memorised in order to use the payphone
  • Moloch had an upgrade
  • Glad Willow didn't think of putting magic through the internet during her Dark Willow days in season 6
  • Buffy: predicting the future with her love life, no happy normal relationship

nightshade

Staff member
Black Thorn
The Puppet Show

• Ok so the slayer recap is getting annoying now.
  • Cordelia does not have singing talent
  • Principal Snyder makes himself known
  • I will be flesh is kinda creepy, especially when he knows he will just die.
  • Giles taking tips from Xander about how to get rid of Cordelia
  • Sid, the disappearing dummy!
  • Xander is holding Giles' life in his hands.

badsister
badsister
omg the slayer recap drove me crazy i was like I KNOW I KNOW GO AWAY

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
Liking this so far :)
What happens to Owen, I don't remember if we see him again?
We don't :p

Glad Willow didn't think of putting magic through the internet during her Dark Willow days in season 6
That would have not gone well...

The Three, guess they couldn't think of a name for them
and they still couldn't 2 seasons later when Buffy tells Faith and the other Scoobies that it was her toughest kill.

nightshade

Staff member
Black Thorn
Nightmares

• Opening with another Buffy dream
  • I hate spiders!
  • The scene with Buffy and her dad, so sad, every child who has gone through divorce probably has thought of that before
  • Oh Cordelia, your day is just getting worse
  • Willow hated the stage last episode, so no surprise that she has nightmares about being on stage
  • The Master continues to hint that it will be because of Buffy he will be freed
  • Aww Giles has nightmares of Buffy dying, wonder if he still had them right up until The Gift
  • Guess Buffy's stuck in vamp face, even though vampires can look human
  • Xander has done well in this ep, first hitting and facing his clown fear, and then grabbing the coach to stop him leaving.

nightshade

Staff member
Black Thorn
Last 2 episode of season 1! So I have a notebook that I write in while watching to save be typing and switching screens, I get part way through and kinda forget to make notes, so these haven't been as detailed as I planned! And my handwriting is terrible when I'm not paying attention to it as well!

Out of Mind, Out of Sight

• There's a lot of green at the start of these, most of the characters seem to be wearing green.
  • Interesting that Buffy was the popular girl doing all the May Queen things
  • Willow becoming a rebel, lying to the principal!
  • The FBI are there already, how long have they known about Marcie?
  • Willow is wearing a Scooby Doo t shirt!
  • Angel telling Giles about the Codex, oh I think you've just won him over Angel!
  • 6 months! Marcie has been living at the school that long, yet hadn't done anything or no one had noticed?
  • Wonder if the FBI already knew about her, and in fact encouraged her behaviour with the promise of getting her out of there afterwards?
  • I like that Cordelia has noticed that Buffy is someone she can go to for help
  • I like to talk between Cordelia and Buffy, that actually Cordelia is a 3 dimensional character and has feelings of loneliness
  • Ok so how exactly did Marcie move Buffy and Cordelia from the room they were in to the Bronze, makes me think the FBI helped her!
  • I love the scene where everything is still and Buffy is stood listening for Marcie
  • Angel comes and rescues them, the gas not affecting him.

nightshade

Staff member
Black Thorn
Prophecy Girl

• I love the Master, post earthquake he's so silly then trying to guess how strong the quake was!
  • Awww Xander, got so worked up about asking Buffy out, but she's not interested
  • How did Giles have Angel's phone number!
  • Jenny is back and knows something's up
  • Buffy is so casual with her stake, I'll just leave it take it out and put it by the sink, no matter!
  • Awwwwww Buffy, overhearing about your own death "I'm 16 years old, I don't wanna die"
  • I got to agree I love that dress too
  • the vampires have taken over, they're all dead
  • And not only does Giles have Angel's number but Xander knows where he lives! How??
  • Wonder how the Master knew she would hear about the prophecy, did Angel steal the Codex from him?
  • Angel for a guy that doesn't breathe you certainly appeared out of breath then!
  • Love Cordelia, just driving through the school
  • Love the image of Buffy flanked by Angel and Xander, they kinda use it again in Angel season 1/early 2
  • Giles the library is the Hellmouth, oops! go get your axe!
  • Well played Buffy, the Master is bones and it's time to party! Shame she lost her jacket though I liked that

nightshade

Staff member
Black Thorn
Onto season 2!

When She Was Bad

• Willow and Xander playing games while walking around after dark, Buffy is right they should have had at least a cross or something.
  • Not sure about the almost kiss, given Xander hasn't shown any interest in Willow before
  • Willow and Xander betting on Giles!
  • Love the automatic food swap that Willow and Xander do
  • Buffy dreaming of The Master killing her
  • Aww poor Willow now Buffy is back Xander has no interest in her
  • Buffy is so mean to Angel, her dancing with Xander hurts everyone
  • It's a trap, but one to get Buffy out of the way.
  • Xander has had enough, Willow and Giles are gone.
  • I like that Xander and Angel work together often, yeah Xander has said that he doesn't like Angel but they actually get on quite well, ad work together well.
  • Xander knows she need to destroy the Master fully
  • Buffy breaking down on Angel awww.
  • Buffy is all anxious about seeing Willow and Xander again after it all.

Puppet
Puppet
That Xillow kiss does seem to come out of nowhere, just for plot purposes...

nightshade

Staff member
Black Thorn
Some Assembly Required

• Buffy sat on a gravestone playing with a yoyo
  • Trying to imagine Angel yodelling!
  • Giles talking to himself, trying to talk to Jenny
  • Tomato fruit or vegetable?
  • Cordelia and Angel, and body parts!
  • Lots of dead girls,ewww
  • Willow, you could have got into dissecting people instead of magic!
  • Giles and Jenny going to the football and then Willow and Xander joining them
  • Xander being all brave and pushing Cordelia through the fire
  • Daryl staying with his not quite all there girlfriend and burning
  • Cordelia does always thank them when they have saved her life
  • Buffy and Angel walking and talking, and Angel admitting that Xander bothers him
School Hard

• Mice that were smoking? Yeah he's not going to believe that!
  • Do we ever here of St Vigeous again? Guessing it wasn't a once a year feast
  • The Boxer Rebellion first gets mentioned here
  • Joyce is rather harsh, telling Buffy that she doesn't want to be disappointed again
  • Willow has another Scooby t shirt
  • Studying french at the Bronze isn't a good idea
  • Buffy can't tell Spike is there, watching her
  • Slayer, slayee!
  • Oh Buffy sending Xander to go into her bag, but the yoyo is still there
  • Angel coming in and warning them about Spike but not really telling them anything.
  • Now Xander wants him to wear a collar and bell!
  • Aww I love Spike and Drusilla
  • Cordelia is getting very involved, making stakes this time
  • However Buffy is not good at making lemonade
  • Yeah think your info is wrong there Giles, Spike is barely over 100!
  • He is however an impatient slayer killer!
  • Joyce standing up for Buffy to Snyder
  • Spike and Angel's reunion is so weird
  • Wonder what would have happened if Spike did bite Xander
  • Love the do we really need weapons for this?
  • Xander and Angel fighting the vampires, especially given that Xander could have ran after basically being handed to Spike to eat!
  • Joyce hitting Spike is great!
  • Cordelia still hiding and praying
  • Bye bye Annoying One!

nightshade

Staff member
Black Thorn
Inca Mummy Girl

• Xander's Dad tried to sell him, and Willow doesn't think they own a stove, another example of bad parenting
  • I don't always use violence!
  • Steal from a mummy and it'll cost you your life!
  • I don't think Buffy actually knows where her exchange student is from
  • A normal life? Don't think Buffy knows what that is
  • Sven is not what Cordelia ordered
  • Xander teaching Impata about Twinkies
  • Crime club, that's not a good cover either
  • Doesn't the house have spare room? why are they sharing?
  • Oz has spotted Willow, she looks adorable
  • Johnathan is there, but Impata has spotted him too
  • Xander is kissing her, not a good idea
  • The Princess and the Slayer, similar stories but on different sides.
  • Xander stopping her from killing Buffy and letting her take him, but Buffy doesn't let that happen.
  • Love the talk between Xander and Buffy at the end.

nightshade

Staff member
Black Thorn
Reptile Boy

• Love the scene of them just relaxing together
  • The girl running scene reminds me of the season 7 scenes with the potentials
  • Giles is getting kinda bossy!
  • Cordelia is willing to fake being friends with Buffy for a guy!
  • Angel is kinda mean here too, but it's the "when I kiss you I want to die" line
  • It's like we're sisters with really different hair
  • Xander and Willow: "I'm not going to say it" " she will"
  • Xander seems a bit more comfortable at the party that Buffy does.
  • Or maybe not now they've dressed him up!
  • Cordelia and Buffy have been drugged
  • Willow trying to see if Angel has a reflection
  • Willow having a go at Angel and Giles is brilliant
  • Finding Xander when they arrive to find Buffy, and realising that the girls are still in there. Angel going all growly!
  • Them fighting, and Willow yelling about a giant snake in the basement.
  • Cordelia hugging Angel, after Buffy does all the work.
  • Aww Angel in the Bronze, Xander talking about Angel then just as casually greeting him
  • Them talking about getting coffee, almost like a date!

Top Bottom