• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

How Was Pete's Death Explained?

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
I can't remember this; In 'Beauty & The Beasts' Buffy runs after vein-y psycho Pete whilst Willow and Faith handle Oz. Pete kills Debbie and fights Buffy.
But as he has he on the ropes Angel comes in all feral and kills Pete by snapping his neck.

Given that nobody finds out about Angel's existence for another few weeks how did Buffy explain what happened?

Its been awhile since I've watched the episode but I'm pretty sure there was some sort of reason given. Maybe they just didn't show Buffy given the reason. Maybe no reason was needed.

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
Pete fell and broke his neck?
That's the most obvious explanation. Buffy went to pull him down off something he was climbing whilst trying to escape, and she, not knowing her own strength, caused his neck to break upon contact with the ground. Clears Buffy from 'murdering' someone, and doesn't have to tell her friends - who could potentially in danger from a feral Angel - about Angel being back.

I doubt they asked for a play by play, to know every move to feel as if they were the one there. He was someone they knew, and even liked for awhile, so they were likely reeling too much over him and Debbie, and not wanting to hear the details of how both Pete and Debbie died. Buffy could all too easily leave out Angel's part and let them assume that Buffy was the one to kill him instead of Angel.

But now that I think about it, they could've shown them as more sympathetic and saying how sorry they are that Buffy was forced to kill a fellow student (as well as see dead Debbie), and a friend of Oz...that could add a little fuel to the fire of resentment once they find Angel is around, especially if Buffy throws out "He saved me from Pete" as a reason for why he can be trusted now (I could see Buffy thinking that was a good reason while it sounded more than one alarm bell in the minds of the others who also had the fact that she was lying to them rubbed in their faces a bit more).

It's also strange that they wouldn't ask her about it until the next day. I can assume they called her home while Buffy was getting Angel back to his place and both counseling him and deciding what to do with him (another lost scene), which would have Buffy's mother worried sick...but it could happen. The Scoobies could easily assume that killing Pete and seeing Debbie dead put her in a mood not to talk about it, however. (The calls would be out of concern for her well being, not to get the gossip).

HoppyHippy

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
I thought the rumor was that he OD'ed on birth control (well known for causing blood clots and stroke)

He was mauled by a Werewolf, which means, he was a Werewolf, and would have changed during the next full moon. It's likely the Slayer has full license from the Council to kill werewolf, in either form. Giles would have reported the death to them, they would have covered it up with the civil authority.

Top Bottom