• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

How Was Your Day 😋 (2) - Your Day in the Life Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
Got my first poke today, went fine and so far I haven't felt anything, no tiredness, no pain, nothing, so yay. Then, I went shopping for my niece's 5th birthday on Sunday and she's currently obsessed with Frozen (of course) so I got her some good stuff. For some reason, my brain keeps wanting it to be Friday, though, and I can't figure out why!

Reactions: Nix

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Got my first poke today, went fine and so far I haven't felt anything, no tiredness, no pain, nothing, so yay. Then, I went shopping for my niece's 5th birthday on Sunday and she's currently obsessed with Frozen (of course) so I got her some good stuff. For some reason, my brain keeps wanting it to be Friday, though, and I can't figure out why!

It's normally the day after that you'll start feeling effects, if any at all.

Taake

I do doodle. You too. You do doodle, too.
Staff member
Black Thorn
Day after for me, still feel nothing. So that’s a win. Though I did threaten all my loved ones that if anything happened to me, I wanted my tombstone to say ”I was nagged into this”

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
Yeah, I still haven't felt anything, except maybe a bit of nausea right before I sat down to eat, but that could be from something else, too. I'm slightly sore, but since I'm feeling that in both arms, I also don't think it's a side-effect.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Last edited:

thrasherpix

Scooby
Daily news are taking its toll on me, everything seems constantly hopeless and I feel powerless 🤕

It's supposed to make you feel like that. You're the product, not the target audience (which are advertisers and other special interest groups).

If you want to be informed without all the click bait nonsense and formulas then try the library. They're less click bait and go into more nuance, generally speaking. It's even free. There are many news sources to choose from which you can compare and contrast, and find other information that might be of use to you that are more journals than news sources (and I'm just counting the magazine and paper section here).

Even some of the political ones can make a call to stop demonizing others of a different ideology, not being so manipulated by their media of choice, and even kinda agree. To avoid being political, I'll simply say as one example I read (over 10 years ago) two articles from politically incompatible magazines on charter schools, and they did not contradict each other at all, though they focused on different aspects that were of concern to them, and as a result I felt I had a more nuanced understanding of the issue, and actually felt informed rather than the skepticism I feel for a lot of media.

And as for predictions...they're wrong more often than not (which is good since most are out to scare you, as that gets your money and serves their controlling interests). I did an experiment in my teens involving psychic and astrological predictions which did not favor them, but then I did for those by respected analysts and experts and even scientists to find they were wrong just as often as the psychics and astrologers (almost always)...but then they're more likely to be published if they're doom and gloom (which means maybe the experiments are flawed because what's considered good for publishing isn't what's accurate).

I later found out it was worse than that...multiple experiments involving monkeys and chimpanzees randomly picking results outperformed market and political analysts...the one I remember was beat by only one analyst, and it was just barely (the chimpanzee was way ahead of the rest). They're always making excuses for why they got it wrong "this time" but will then get it wrong again (though if they can get enough people to believe then they can tweak the results).

As for being helpless...you pretty much are when it comes to the world. I've seen many projects, some quite clever, meant to address problems even at a local level (even in small towns) fall through by circumstances beyond their control. It's best to keep the Serenity Prayer in mind (I'm practically an atheist and it still works for me) on knowing what you can and cannot change. You were not put here to save the world.

'Course you might do well in your community, but beware those who pretend to be helpers who are just after that grant money (among other things). I don't regret the volunteer work I've done, but wow am I skeptical of it now.

Next time, when things normalize (had it not been for the lockdown I'd have already done so), I plan to volunteer for adult literacy. I really hope there are no nasty surprises there, but as it's run by the library without focusing on what most literacy grants pay for, I'm hopeful (even if, because of both experience and an article I read in a librarian magazine, I'm wary of library boards, and the directors they hire). And that's accomplishing something that's actually in my power to influence.

Another good exercise I've learned is to "let go of should" (he should, I should, people should) and spend a day doing something that makes you glad to be alive. I remember the first time I tried windsurfing, even though I didn't want to at the time, and when the clouds parted the sun made the ocean sparkle gold while reflecting beautifully on the mist-shrouded hills covered with trees. When hiking through the woods I came to a beautiful near-dusk sun shining a brilliant color through the clouds as the wind blew soothingly around me, the trees and colorful flowers waving like waves on the water, and I just spread my arms and basked in it. These are the things that keep me (relatively) sane.

'Course you might need something else. Maybe create a personal space with what uplifts you within it, something creative with collages, black lite posters, the best music the soothes you, whatever. I know this can do wonders as well.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Wolves ov Siberia
Black Thorn
Went shopping at Target, and everything was great until this...as I was driving through the parking lot, a woman and her child dashed right in front of the truck. I hit the brakes so hard, it nearly activated the air bag. (She's VERY lucky that I have good brakes and great reflexes!!) But that's not the worst part of this story. I put it in park, activated the parking brake, and checked to see if she was okay...I got two feet away from the door, and the truck started rolling back. Luckily, the door was still open, so I leapt inside.

I don't know if I mentioned this before, but several months ago the truck developed this super annoying habit of occasionally rolling back...even when it's in park WITH the parking brake engaged. The only way to be sure it stays put is to turn off the engine. I totally forgot about that when the woman ran in front of it. Can you imagine how I felt when I looked over my shoulder and saw the truck rolling away? In a parking lot filled with people and children? It's all kind of a blur now. Damn, I moved fast!!! 😅

"The BBC has announced that current Doctor Jodie Whittaker as well as showrunner Chris Chibnall, will depart Doctor Who in 2022. The duo will, after the upcoming season 13, will say farewell with three special episodes to air throughout next year."
That's sad. Only have six more episodes before she's replaced.

Hopefully we'll get a showrunner that actually knows what they're doing. I miss the days when Doctor Who was something to look forward to each week.

And the next Doctor had better be male Let's get back to basics, for God's sake. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom