• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

How was your day - part 8

Hunga Munga

Potential
Been a bad man today .

I was up at the crack of dawn , doing chores , waiting for my grocery delivery guy . I spent an hour or two dragging the shopping up to mine , got everything squared away ...then crawled back into bed for a few hours ;) . I had no excuse , it's warm ish , not raining , I should have been outside pottering .

I' m pretty content though . I went up to the big town and paid my electric bill last thursday , I had plenty money left in the bank. I'm pretty much stable for the next 4 months . I should earn enough during our spring/summer to see me comfortably through next winter . I should have enough to repair most my old crap buildings too . At this time of year , it don't get much better than that .

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Oh man I really have to vaccum again. The construction dust is out of control. I was just laying on the floor with the bunnies and got up with a mouth and nose full of dust. Poor darling bunnies are probably more affected than they let on too. I put a new rug out for them last night, they know what is theirs! I have had the robo vac out which is great for the wood floors but the carpet is just full of sand. I actually think I probably should just ditch it at this stage. Hopefully its not so bad once the construction finishes but at this rate, it wont be done til next year!

I am not sure about this "looking well" thing... I have more visitors planned over the next few weeks. I haven't even recovered from the last ones! I really want to REDUCE my social circle but it just seems to be ever expanding. Too much like hard work. One of the men in town stopped me on the street today and asked for computer lessons. I am not real keen to do it, for starters I am not actually good on computers, I just know how to type lol. I guess it looks impressive to those who don't? I duno. He said he would drop by my house, I hope I can get a load of wood out of it. I might have a word to the girls at the office about saying I am willing to offer these sorts of services cos I am not. I do really love living in a small town but I don't want to fall in to a pattern of being signed up for things I never signed up for. It'll be alright. I can ignore the door if he comes on a bad day anyway.

nightshade

Can I be a sloth?
Staff member
Black Thorn
Yesterday was great fun! I went straight to the pub after work, the pub didn't do food, although I could have curry on Thursday! So we ordered pizza to be delivered then went into the room where to quiz was to be. In the beginning it was just the two of us, then at the half time our friend managed to get there, she has been delayed at work. We got 87.5/90 although we could have disputed one and got 88.5, either way we won it by half a point!! the second place team got 87! By the end of the quiz others had ordered pizza too, so they had missed out there if the charity had done it as food and a quiz.

We went into the bar area to sort out our goodies, we shared the stuff between us, each having plush figures, I also got socks, a bag, a lego figure, and some sweets. A wand, a map and quill were also part of the goodies we won.

Our goodies!

I also won on the raffle too, because we all need more Easter eggs!

Hunga Munga

Potential
Spent an hour looking for a tool this morning . Turned a shed upside down then remembered I'd moved the damn thing months ago . It was up where I needed it the entire time :). Not my sharpest moment .

Had a bit of rain last night , which was handy . Locally, we had probably the worst drought in living memory last summer . This year I've put in extra water storage in case of another dry one. When all my tanks are full I start doing clothes washing with the surplus run off . I've been at it on and off for weeks :D . There was a overnight deluge last week and I was up all night running the washer .
I swear I was cold soaking blankets in a big old wheelbarrow in the dead of night . :D I usually use a big tin bath for huge laundry items but a thrush flew into the shed where it was hanging up and built her nest tight on top of it. Haven't got the heart to move the baby birds just yet , even though all the bird crap is prolly eating away at the metal . Nearly finished the spring laundry now , just a few work jackets left to do and the clothes I m wearing right now ;) .

It's been a weird spring , everything is weeks early ....some things are months early . I've got wasps nesting up in April when usually they don't usually bother me til August . Rats are out of hand . I'm seeing huge healthy badgers at night , a couple of hares . Already there's lots of bats skittering about in the twilight .
It looks like the local farmer has had a good lambing this year . Losses seem quite low as well . I think he's been paying for feed all winter so he won't make much money . Ordinarily we get 4 foot of rain a year : last summer we got 0 inches during the growing season .

Last edited:

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Nice haul @nightshade!!

soaking blankets in a big old wheelbarrow
I do this too hehe. I rekon its a good idea, can tip the water out on to the garden! I am hoping to get a water tank this winter. I have been collecting the roof run off in bins with lids. I am connected to mains water which makes life really easy but the water quality is so poor and I'd prefer to catch the water off the roof than let it make a puddle under my wood pile lol.

The Chinese place has been closed for a month, tonight was the first night it was open again. They were flat out. I put my order in and went for a brisk power walk around the towns park because it was bloody freezing.. Beautiful clear night though, so many stars, the sky feels closer in the cold seasons. I was chatting to another lady from my town while waiting for the Chinese and I ended up following another car from the restaurant all the way home. Uber eats isn't what this town wants, but it is what this town needs lol. Huge dead roo on the road on the way back. I always have that moment of "should I check its pouch?" and then also that moment of, "nah its bloody cold and I have hot food and icecream in the car and I REALLY don't want to baby sit another joey" and then I ask for forgiveness the rest of the drive home haha. Was such a big roo it was probably a male anyway.

I think I will be up late again tonight, binging both chinese food and teenage tv :D

HowiMetdaSlayer
HowiMetdaSlayer
suddenly craving gen tsos chicken & Talenti...

Hunga Munga

Potential
Yeah no mains water round here outside the towns and villages . Thing is when you get 48 inches of rain most years noone cares ..There's water everywhere .

Looks like I'll be doing another wheelbarrow soak today :) , it's hammering it down here with more forecast for tomorrow . Chances are all my prep will mean nothing and I'll be venting thousands of gallons unused this year ...If I'm lucky ;) .

Waiting on a few small bits from Amazon and Ebay to crack on with my repair programme . I love the internet , get more done with a few clicks than I used to get done on a long distance daytrip . 3G changed my life ...bigtime . I would have been scurrying about all day trying to find that stuff and probably ended up having to buy something else to do the job .

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
We still don't get delivery of a lot of stuff where I am :( But its changing fast. This place is catching up just as I am getting used to the slow pace. I have found a few things that I can buy online which helps. The food is the toughest bit, but I think I have the hang of that now. I haven't checked my bank account after tonights big buy, bit scared to do that haha but I know I'll be alright money wise now.

Frost is expected tonight. Its so weird to still need to water the garden when it is so bloody cold. It still dry even with the clouds. I wanted to do some writing but seem a bit lazy in the brain pan tonight. Must be near a new moon maybe. The moon wasn't up when I was out.

Xander has a burst of boy energy... such a funny bunny. Anyas binkies are so gymnastic and graceful, he is like a little old man who is worried about breaking his hip but tries his best to dance anyway.

Hunga Munga

Potential
Back in the late 1990s I could barely get a courier delivery out here .My postcode was a pariah , plenty of online and mail order firms wouldn't bother .So many things didn't arrive . Of course satnav and proper mobile reception finally sorted that out . Now I'm mostly like anyone else for shipping . 3G was the real dealbreaker and that only came a few year back . For years I was pinging off a 2G connection and counting myself lucky I got any reception at all .

Supermarket food delivery was the real lifechanger for me, that is immense . A full supermarket range delivered to your door :) .

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
How long have you lived in the one spot? I am so looking forward to staying here for more than a few years :D

I had to pay a lot to get the national broadband installed here. Lots of Aussies hate it, but it is the best internet connection I have ever had. Not fullproof, but pretty good with unlimited data for cheaper than I ever had before. I mean it runs Netflix while I chat on BB, impressive if you ask me!

No grocery delivery here but I can order online and they'll pack my car for me when I drive in. The highway is not such a bad drive outside of school holidays and harvest times. I genuinely enjoy driving but it does tire me out. I often wish I had a good camera because the colours of the fields are always changing. Would be nice if petrol was a bit cheaper... I filled up today at $1.44 per litre and thought to myself it wasn't a bad price, where as I would have bawked at anything over 1.10 in the city. Car does ok though, 9L/100km at its best, not bad imo. Next big bill is new tyres.

I had no idea there was no postal service to the homes here. My mum and I spent 20 mins looking for the post box the day I moved in lol. But I have come to enjoy my little wanders to the post office. As long as the postman doesn't grill me haha. He's backed off a bit now that I am 'working'. I think he is just in that generation of people that feel anyone without a job should rot to death. I see that from the otherside.

Hunga Munga

Potential
Funny enough there's fibre optic running down my valley now ....but no one has got the cabling to use it :D . I suspect 5G will be running sooner than the landline folk catch up .

I've been by here a bit over 20 years , fulltime since 2000. Still love my place but have come to dislike the area . Now my health is going , i fancy a change in a year or three , can't keep living out here when I can't cope with the work anymore .Winter is too long to be sitting idle half the year .

Octavia
Octavia
Yeah winter is harder where you are too!

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
I finished this scarf this morning. I had the will to complete it after telling myself to stick to one thing and not pick up a pair of socks or something. But it still took 4 months because of the construction style. I don't know where the patience for this came from.

Click for big

Anyanka Bunny Slayer
Anyanka Bunny Slayer
I would've stabbed myself in the eye with the knitting needle first. 😅 Definitely not the patient type.

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
I was just thinking about if I should make another rug but yeah, don't think I can be bothered haha. Good job @Bluebird!

I have done the bare minimum today. Pottered in the garden, Hauled some water in. Just started the fire for the night. Might charge some tools tonight as its going to be warm tomorrow so I can plan to finish some garden and house repairs over the weekend. I want to try out my new little buzzy hand saw, that is going to make life SO much easier if I can handle it :D I brought too much Chinese so I will be feasting on leftovers again tonight and it looks like s5 of the 100 is up on Netflix to now. Woo.

The buns are being so cute, xander has a sore tummy cos I gave him extra pellets for lunch so Anya is cuddling his face. They are such sweet darlings.

Bluebird
Bluebird
God I miss living near Chinatown, that food mmm

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
I was just thinking about if I should make another rug but yeah, don't think I can be bothered haha. Good job @Bluebird!
If I may ask, how do you make the rugs? And what with? Is it costly?

Knitting & crochet can be expensive for materials and I'd like to find ways to use up the excess yarn. I don't mind having too many rugs, I can just pap them off to other people lol.

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
If I may ask, how do you make the rugs? And what with? Is it costly?
I brought a bag of rags from the community relief shop ($5). I cut them into strips and then tied them back together, with a sort of crochet type knot. My hands are not really steady enough for a crochet hook so its basically the same on a bigger scale. The rugs look a bit messy as they aren't all the same colour and have lots of connecting knots but I like them. They fit in well with my little cottage :D They are not the warmest of things but are better than nothing - light and breathable ;) I also made a mat for the bathroom floor with the crappy bits, another for the foot stool (figure it can be a foot rug!). The big ones are for the couch and bed. I think I will give the foot stool one to mum but I brought another big strip of material for $2 so I might be able to make a nicer neater one before she gets back down here for mothers day. I have a square half done for the kitchen floor. Still getting the hang of how to make corners haha. My floor boards are wonky so its some times good to have padding under the feet. I want to make a better floor cover for the bunnies but this technique will be no good for them, the threads can be too easily ingested.

Oh and I made 3 little circles that go under hot pots to save the benches. I don't actually need those and don't think they are nice enough to give away so I might put them into a bigger project later.

Hunga Munga

Potential
In my chunk of Wales the bluebells are flowering particularly well this year . My two tired old crabapples are also blossoming like crazy . If the frost holds off for the next month I should expect bumper crops of sloes/damsons/ greengages and weird plum hybrids this year ...not that I bother with them much anymore . I used to love foraging but there's only so much homemade jam and wine one person can stomach and I'm overquota . I'd rather have the sugar for me tea :D .Occasionally sloes are worth good money for ginmakers but that only happens when it's a bad year .

Had a bit more rain , did a bit more washing . I ve got some work overalls etc and steel toed Wellington boots on soak overnight outside . Nearly finished all the spring washing now :D Only light duties and a good nap today because I think I might be working overnight today or tomorrow . Just waiting on the call .

It's a Bank Holiday for us this weekend . I'll be working through , hoping to finish my urgent roofing jobs over the long weekend. That will be a load off my mind . I hate DIY but it's easier than finding someone else.

Can't find anything new to watch on Netflix ....getting a bit annoyed with them recently . They make halfdecent shows, then cancel them before they even mature . Why would I bother with Netflix Originals if they're just gonna be miniseries? My life is too short for that :) .

Yeah I liked Umbrella Academy . Not sure about Sabrina , I didn't like seeing Sabrina led around by her nose throughout the entire first season. The whole 'we know something that they don't' vibe that ran through most of season 1 got on my nerves . So I haven't hurried back for season 2 yet .

HowiMetdaSlayer
HowiMetdaSlayer
have you seen Umbrella Academy, Sabrina or Haunting of hill house?

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
I Agree about netflix originals! I dnt mind as much if I know before going in and theyre suited to one season, but dont like those that have to wrap up dumb (sense8...) Haha. Russian doll was a fun one season one.

Its dawn here. Got online to look up which planet was showing. Got distracted... Seeya!

Hunga Munga

Potential
If I was Netflix I'd be looking to make the next Frasier , or Friends , or Supernatural . I'd want to be making television that people will still be watching in 10-20 years ....not a bunch of stuff that noone will give a crap about by next year . I thought season 1 American Vandal was an amazing show .That had potential to run for years in my opinion .

10 episode seasons and few season runs means most Netflix shows are never gonna have enough meat on the bones for me .

I'll stick with them , as long as they keep pulling in the quality old shows too . Movies don't really appeal to me much anymore .

Hunga Munga

Potential
Trotted down to my postbox and found it laden with booty . I got my Swedish snus tobacco from Israel , a couple of parcels of roof fixings and tool bits ...and a German copy of Veronica Mars season 3 . :) I bought it a while back off Ebay but the one I received was an incomplete set. A few emails later and they have sent me a pristine replacement copy . I know what I'm going to watch now :D . I streamed it recently in rough quality but the DVDs are so much better for me :)

There was also a wasp nest in the postbox , they are going mental for it this year . May 3rd and that's the fifth nest I've evicted before it got too big . . I've been fighting a war against the wasps for years . One year they got the upper hand and took over my woodshed and my little stable shed . I could barely get in either without getting stung . Ever since then I've been proactive ...I even follow the little buggers, find their lairs and wipe them out . They're crafty though , I've got one colony that makes lots of little nests close together so you can find yourself under attack from all sides when you try to mess with them . Really , I should burn that lot out , but I would hate to set the hill on fire .

If it's going to be bad I must get one of them 'epipen' things . I've been stung so many times I started to develop an intolerence to the venom

Last edited:

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
I eat icecream like Dawn. Good thing I didn't go out without looking in the mirror! No wonder the rabbits wanted to kiss my face hahaha.

Wasps are nasty things! I am lucky I have far more bees than wasps but the European wasps have started to spread in Oz. Incoming people are just so disrespectful of our biosecurity laws and expect that all places should be as damaged as their homelands. Its sad. I saw a bad wasp on my pink flowers the other day. I didn't even know what to do! The native wasps have nested under my patio before but I haven't had much issue with them, the old nest is still there so that reminds me I should probably smash it before spring rolls round again.

Last Watcher
Last Watcher
If your Wasps are like the British ones they wont re-nest in an area with an old nest, so if you can leave it there they shouldn't come back :)

Hunga Munga

Potential
We got plenty bees in the valley but they don't tend to come up this way to nest . Prefer it in the sun or something ? :)

I'm all for live and let live but the wasps , and recently the rats , have stepped over the line and have to be destroyed .

I had rats nibbling under my home over the winter . That's one of my summer jobs , ratproof my floors before next winter . Lolo keeps them out but I'll be happier once I ve got some metal wire and plate holding them back . I may have to reluctantly buy a new airrifle too , I won't use poison so it's traps , dogs and guns only .

Top Bottom