• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

How was your day? -Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightshade

I am a phoenix
Staff member
Black Thorn
It's only 9.20 but I've got dinner going in the slow cooker, doing a stew so I'll freeze portions later on. About to start some housework now, get a load of laundry done before it rains again!

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
I did really well in the garden again today :D This windy rainy weather is fantastic to work in! I can get so much done without being blinded by the sun. It's brilliant :D . I am so happy with how much I did. The weeding was super easy cos the ground was so soft and wet. I hoe'd a big area to put down some seeds. Xander isn't too keen on the sunflower seeds I bought to feed him with so I spread about a kilo out on the dug dirt. I duno if they will take because they are meant for animal feed but thought it was worth a go. If nothing else its brought the birdies back to my garden after the construction has kept them away :) I spread out some other grains but I just don't think I put enough down, again these were animal feed grade so I might have to see where I can get some proper grain seeds to grow from. Buying bulk here means buying by the ton, and I don't need that much! The soil seems ready now after 2 years of prepping. The shire recently drowned the road sides in round up yet again, even though its been proven to cause health harm. I hope not too much has flooded on to my place. I know I have a family of feral rabbits in the garden that will probably wipe out a lot of what does survive but I hope if I start enough, something will take. I have a while before I can get enough tin to finish fencing the property.

The new garden bed that I fenced yesterday probably needs at least another 2 wheelbarrow loads of compost on, the rain soaked it in and I can see the layer of newspaper under it. It wont be deep enough yet to plant in. I asked at the shop about wooden pallets but it seems they are in high demand and I am probably better off trying to get that stuff out of town. There are too many other people in high need of that sort of thing here, I am lucky enough to have a car (and license) so I can find another source.

Sun is down now so I better lock up the ducks. They didn't want to go to bed early when I tired before. Hopefully they see sense now - its much warmer and dryer in the pen than anywhere else in the garden!

Last edited:

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
Saturday was a busy day. It started with Junk in the Trunk, the annual sale held by the London Vintage Radio Club held in Guelph, Ontario, Canada on the property of the Hammond Manufacturing Company, a place that makes transformers and electrical enclosures. The pickings were slim this year and I only bought two items, a box of capacitors and a traveller's radio with two tubes that could be packed into a briefcase. Then we started the process of opening the pool but got sidetracked into removing an old stump and that took us until 4:00 PM. Then we got the pool cover off and pressure washed. Later that night it was the weekly free car show at the Canadian Tire store on the Queensway.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
A much more relaxed day today. I got the ladders and jets in the pool and pressure washed the upper section of the pool liner since that can only be done before the pool is filled. Took the urchin to get some weed-resistant cloth cover to put under the patio stones. Partially filled the pool and will complete it tomorrow. The funniest thing this morning was when I took the dog out for his walk, there was a duck in the pool. A male Mallard who seemed to enjoy being the first one to swim this year. I may have to empty the sand filter and plug a break somewhere that was dumping sand in the pool last year.

Octavia
Octavia
Yay duckies! Hehe

Taake

Something Wicked This Way Comes
Staff member
Black Thorn
It's Kafka's world and we're all just living in it.
Ok, so I'm not one to really hate bureaucracy or anything, but, my step-dad owes me damages for this court thing from years ago. Every couple of months my mother and I both get a latter saying there are no funds to withdraw the compensation from. Once a year you get a letter asking if you want to renounce your claim on the compensation you're owed. For like, the last four years I've signed that stupid renounciation and sent it in... and I keep. getting. letters as if I didn't. I just got another one and I'm ready to tear my hair out. I've sent the thing in already! Trying to call them is a nightmare, and e-mails are all automated. Bureaucracy may have its functions, but sometimes it feels like it leaves you just screaming into a void.

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Today has been 8C wet, cold and windy again :D its great garden weather! The ducks love it too haha, so much so that the girl duck escaped the pen before I got up to play in it. I know how cos I didn't exactly secure the pen after the side blew in the other night. My neighbour across the road said he was worried his roof was going to blow off his house, and the construction peeps lost a fair few sheets of tin. I should have nicked some and pretended it blew away :p So considering how wild the weather was, only losing the side of the duck pen is pretty good!

The hydroponics survived, although a little drowned. I drained as much as I could but do need to drain them a bit more and then add some more nutrients. The strawberries have new flowers on already! Surprisingly the mint is not going so well but the nasturtium seems to love it as well - that's going good in its usual dirt plot of the garden too, I have spread it out a few other places as it is seasonal and doesn't go astray in the household diet. I don't mind if it takes over the yard at this stage as I know it will die off come summer time again. I moved some big pots of dirt around, the mint is not going well anywhere really. Repotted 4 pots of parsley that had outgrown their home and filled up some big pots of compost for when my seedlings are ready to move in.

It was constant sprinkles all day so I figured it would be a good time to put out some more seeds and dirt in the new garden bed. Its not as deep as I want it to be but any more dirt will have it washing over the sides of the walls so it'll have to do and I hope the crap underneath will compost down soon quick enough. I don't have cover over the seeds so they are at risk of being eaten by bugs but considering how long the chickens have been free ranging I hope that the number of bugs is considerably less than years previously. I had to rebuild my mini stone wall by the front gate since the chooks destroyed it, pulling the stones down to hunt for yummy bugs underneath. I spread out some more grain seed (yes the wild birds love it, they have been gleefully back in my garden in full force and it made me so HAPPY to see :D) and dumped a bunch of hay over most of the property. It was the crappy hay that the buns couldn't eat and I am so glad I didn't give it to them as I had so many seed heads stuck in my poncho and jumper! I still itch now. It looks really cool to have the yard covered in so much hay, starting to look like a real permaculture garden! The rain will keep it heavy enough to stay down.

I filled a bunch of jars with compost and climbing bean seeds and plonked them out around the garden. I hope the cover will give them a chance to establish and when they are big enough I will take the jars off to let them climb. My parsley and carrots were going ok in the little plastic microclimate I made so I did another with silverbeet seeds. The plastic containers I used for my first experiments two years ago are starting to degrade already so even though I have re-used them from their original purpose, they are going to end up in the bin anyway. I have put out a few glass jars to see how they go, I prefer the glass obviously but its harder to get big glass jars.

Xander bun is not happy in this cold, he is curled up in the litter box which is a sign of sickness for him. I might have to start the fire tonight. I don't think it is that cold but he's not a happy chappy and it will drop to 4C at least tonight (it is 6C now - I don't think I have ever lived in a space where it is this cold while the sun is up! The ice rain does it) I wonder if it is snowing up the hill I haven't checked. The town people think I am crazy to work so much outside in this weather but I love it and much prefer it over working in the sun! So that settles my next place cant be too far along the coast cos they get too much sun!

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Another good day in the garden today. I took lots of breaks as my eyes still have the flashies, I expect this migraine to blow out any minute now that I have stopped (only cos the sun went down...)

I trimmed all the hedges with my favourite blue hedge clippers except the front one (I did a little bit on it but not a proper trim) and I am really proud of my efforts. Its not a little job! I planted out some more seeds in microclimates but Crowly the naughty chicken escaped and bulldozed some. I made a new compost heap and used my super cool yellow drill to secure some shade cloth around it until I get access to wood to make it into a proper raised bed. The biggest job today was digging out the drain and filling another garden bed with the dirt I dug out. I haven't planted anything in there yet cos I have to test the soil first. The wild birds were loving my garden today, probably gobbling up all the seed I put out, but I dont mind cos they were beautiful company :D Got heaps of weeding done which is just so satisfying! Its so nice to do it when its cool and wet, they slip out of the ground nice and easy. I drained the hydroponics, moved the chillies to a warmer spot and planted a couple more bits around there. I added a few more sticks to my brush fence and cut down a few branches that were overhanging the shed (still got more to do but Im not getting up a ladder til after chiro!).

Squirrel (duck) met sausage bob (bobtail lizard) today. It was really cute. She is so brave and into everything while Moose just follows her around like a love struck puppy. They have been going at it all day, I had to stop Moose from drowning Squirrel in the pond when he decided that's where he wanted to do it :rolleyes: she has laid one egg so far. I have designed their pen so that they have access to the "pony paddock" where the chooks are if I open the gate. I might separate them down the line as I am really not prepared for ducklings. I still haven't fixed the side of their pen properly yet, it just slipped my mind today. Plus Squirrel gets into all of the succulents, snapping them off, Moose doesn't. I worry for the lizards so would prefer to have her in with the chooks.

The back spasm have started now that I am sitting haha. I really wanted chinese food tonight, more so cos I know the construction crew are at the pub and will likely get me drunk again if I go over there, but I don't feel like my eyes are good enough to drive (especially at night) so the pub really is my only option. I am not cooking after my huge effort today. I am so happy with all I got done as I didn't intend to do so much, but once I get on a roll its tough to stop :)

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
This night is bliss. Relaxing day of a few walks, touch of gardening and chook chasing, bunny cuddles and easy dinner, now cross stitch on the couch in front of the tv. I think this is what they call contentment! Tis true, Idle hands are the devil's playground. I am much happier in life as a busy bee.

Nix

Evil Nix 😈
Sineya
Today has been very chilled after a crappy night of nightmares and such. I have watched a few episodes of Outlander and had coffee. The rest of the day will consist of a bit of housework, more coffee and more tv no doubt. Oh and a tipple of chocolate baileys!

Last Watcher

Tweed Icon
Sineya
Now that the rain has stopped (for a while) I've been able to get out into the garden to see what has survived...…..

Octavia
Octavia
Hope the bulbs didn't wash away!
  • Haha
Reactions: Nix

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
And now the rain came here...well, I'm not eating anytime soon, since I have to leave the apartment to get my food :(

nightshade
nightshade
So you can stay in and finish spn? :)
Octavia
Octavia
Lucky I live half a k from the pub haha short sprint in the rain.

FaithLehane16

"Five by Five."
It was quite busy. I had to get a change of address because I don't want to pay for my P.O. Box,. I then got my year's worth of free birth control. I stopped at Dairy Queen to get a blizzard. My bf wanted to go to Staples to get something. After that we went to D&B, with him looking stuff for the yard, me looking at the clothes. There were shirts I wanted to get. I wanted to get some Rock Revivals and Miss Me Jeans. There was a dress that I wanted. I need to go there more often to see what's on sale. When we got home, he weed eated while I sorted the laundry. When he got done weed eating, I mowed the yard. After I mowed the yard, I started working on the laundry, while on my laptop. I just got done with a pizza.

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Today didn't go as well as yesterday. I had a real nice time with my mum yesterday walking through the karri forests and along the river. We had lunch at a little place she would not normally look twice at then back to her holiday house for the arvo. The little machine on her wrist said she did over 10,000 steps so for the rest of the afternoon she sat down haha.

I discovered that I have a new nephew, mums first grandchild and I gave him a nickname the parents will hate. :D My sister is very, very rich and lives in Melbs, I will likely never meet the child. Mum hated her holiday house because it was too cold and they were "cruel" not to leave enough wood for guests... so they left a day early. They came past my house today and since it was so "cruel" to leave people without firewood I asked her for some help to order some for me. I had the money but not the phone skills. I have been ripped off before and was scared for it to happen again. Thankfully she helped and they stayed and did some work on the house and helped me pile the wood. I got real stiff real quick and fell down the whinging rabbit hole, so the rest of the day was not real plesent in conversation. We went for a walk along the dead wildflower trail realising again how far this world is from city attitudes and trends. It wasn't the worst visit I've ever had, but if I had today to rest and tomorrow for the work I wouldn't have got so sore and sorry so fast. Its disappointing. Will be a long while now til I see them again, which is probably ok all round.

Bunnies were not happy with the banging of the maintenance and are in full moult now. I am more exhausted than my mind has realised yet. I am so used to being alone or around very slow type people so the mania of a city puppy and lifestyle was demanding. It'll be nice to have a fire on tonight. It's not too cold but some heating will be a welcome comfort.

Nix

Evil Nix 😈
Sineya
The day so far...
Woke up at 7, decided to stay in bed, woke up at 9, said sod this, woke up at 10 and got up... Had breakfast, had coffee with the girls outside before it starts raining again... started housework, done shopping order, now wasting a bit of time before back to housework.

Such an exciting day!

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
^^ Ouch! Thats a way to shock you awake!

I am having an easy day today. Usually sunday is bun day and cleaning day, but I did the cleaning yesterday so I am going to take it easy today, grooming bunnies and trying to stay indoors. I have already been out for a walk and done some gardening and if I stay in the garden I just keep finding more things to do so I really have to make sure I spend some significant time inside today or I will work myself silly. Might start the fire to make it more appealing, its warmer outside than it is in the house. I wish I had somewhere comfy to sit. If I sit here I will undo all the chiro work in no time. The outdoor furniture isnt so great either.

Too much reflection on family time leaves me realising how cruel my family can be, and I dont like to think like that. The distance gives me more clarity and I see how homelessness and poverty changes the mindset of who is worthy to live in this world. I am trying to distract myself with the bible, keyboard, netflix and forums. I cant go on too many permaculture forums today or I will get ideas and be out in the garden again!

Bunnies are happy they have freedom and cuddles, they have not had much me time over the last few days.

Faith 2019

Woman verses Woman
I finished reading Lady First about Susan Polk as First Lady. Starting to read, The British are Coming with the author being Rick Atkinson. It is the story about the fake news about America declaring independence from the United Kingdom during 1776. Everyone knows America is a colony of the United Kingdom

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Hail Hydra 💀
Black Thorn
Currently in the rehab, but will definitely leave sooner than planned. There's this one slag who is CONSTANTLY starting drama...plus, she just won't shut up. And she seems to be everywhere, telling us how "terribly spoiled" she is, how much men love her, etc. She's about 40 or so. Lots of noticeable cosmetic surgery. Frankly, she looks like the portrait of Dorian Gray. I feel as through I'm trapped in a nightmare. Earlier, she accused someone of stealing her jewelry; then remembered it was in the safe here. Yeah, too much drama. I'd really like to punch her, just on general principal. :p

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Currently in the rehab, but will definitely leave sooner than planned. There's this one slag who is CONSTANTLY starting drama...plus, she just won't shut up. And she seems to be everywhere, telling us how "terribly spoiled" she is, how much men love her, etc. She's about 40 or so. Lots of noticeable cosmetic surgery. Frankly, she looks like the portrait of Dorian Gray. I feel as through I'm trapped in a nightmare. Earlier, she accused someone of stealing her jewelry; then remembered it was in the safe here. Yeah, too much drama. I'd really like to punch her, just on general principal. :p
I thought you were 40 or so! Haha ;) Trapped in a nightmare is defo how I would describe those places. Being sane in an insane world is tough.

I am going to finish this cross stitch today. And I do want to go out bush for another walk. Its such a lovely time of year to walk, I enjoy walking in the rain as long as I am not soaked to the bone too far from home. Star trek is not being stimulating enough for me to stay sitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom