• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

How would you feel about Joss coming back full time to write for Buffy/Angel Comics?

Should Joss come back to Buffy or Angel Comics?

• Yes as to both the Buffy and Angel titles

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • No as to both Buffy or Angel title

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Yes as to Buffy title only

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Yes as to Angel title only

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters

Mrs Gordo

And then she comes along...
Black Thorn
How would you feel about Joss coming back in and taking the reigns of the comics once more, writing and being an active part of the creative process throughout rather than the role he has now of approving stories.

@Mr. Pole @EarthLogic - vote/discuss here.

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
The problem with the comic books is they are comic books. They are not governed the same way a TV is... they need to scale back the comics to reflect the show, not amplify everything. They need a TV aesthetic and feel, not a comic book one. To me that is the biggest difference. You need to think could I see this happening on TV?

EarthLogic
EarthLogic
Agreed!
MarieVampSlayer
MarieVampSlayer
This is why I am scared to read the comics...spaceship Spike is not for me!
I don't mind if Joss writes for the comics or not. Christos Gage has done a fantastic job imo. I have thoroughly enjoyed everything he's written and although Joss has a different style, I'm not sure he's necessarily better.

Joss is at the writers meeting, he is the one that decides on the direction he wants the story to go and what he wants to see in every season, so I think he's very much involved in the writing process as is.

As has been mentioned in the comic threads, if Joss comes back to write for the comics, that could signal the end for them, and I really wouldn't want that.

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Staff member
Sineya
I voted no to both. IMO Joss has just stepped to far away from the comics, it doesn’t even feel like his story anymore. This isn’t a bad thing necessarily, it just seems like career wise he’s moved beyond Buffy and he’s only holding on because of the popularity from the fandom.

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
he’s only holding on because of the popularity from the fandom.
upload_2017-11-16_13-13-16.png

He needs to George Lucas Buffy and let other people tell some stories... but I think he likes holding control and would not want "happy endings"... even if they are happy endings for the fans.

Mrs Gordo

Black Thorn
He needs to George Lucas Buffy and let other people tell some stories... but I think he likes holding control and would not want "happy endings"... even if they are happy endings for the fans.
But if he has control over the stories and he doesn't like happy endings why is it that S10 of Buffy, S10 of A&F and S11 of Buffy have all been warm and fuzzy happy endings?

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
But if he has control over the stories and he doesn't like happy endings why is it that S10 of Buffy, S10 of A&F and S11 of Buffy have all been warm and fuzzy happy endings?
I dunno.. maybe they are... I just keep expecting the other shoe to drop. It just feels inevitable that they are trying to establish this as the status quo only to rip it away. Maybe I'm wrong. It just feels like they are setting up some massive heart-breaking something, but maybe not.

WillowFromBuffy

Extra flamy candles!
I don't like the idea of the Buffyverse being weirder and weirder story lines written for a smaller and smaller audience. I would like for Joss to come back and write a final season for the whole franchise. I want it to end with some umpf. Final apocalypse and shanshu and everything.

And Buffy better not die.

Grace

Destructo-Girl
Black Thorn
I feel weird saying this, but I'm voting no. I feel like Joss coming back to that level of participation to the Buffyverse comics would feel like a failure to him (that he doesn't have other stuff to do) and he would probably take it out on the characters. :) If he really wanted to be doing the comics, he would be doing the comics.

I don't like the idea of the Buffyverse being weirder and weirder story lines written for a smaller and smaller audience. I would like for Joss to come back and write a final season for the whole franchise. I want it to end with some umpf. Final apocalypse and shanshu and everything.

And Buffy better not die.
Did you think S11 was weird? If anything I feel the seasons are getting less weird and more set in a more recognisable real world.

Mrs Gordo

Black Thorn
I dunno.. maybe they are... I just keep expecting the other shoe to drop. It just feels inevitable that they are trying to establish this as the status quo only to rip it away. Maybe I'm wrong. It just feels like they are setting up some massive heart-breaking something, but maybe not.
Its quite the set up...

Did you think S11 was weird? If anything I feel the seasons are getting less weird and more set in a more recognisable real world.
I agree, S11 felt very much rooted in the real world, but where as I think some would like this I didn't, it took away the "fantasy" element for me.

I feel like Joss coming back to that level of participation to the Buffyverse comics would feel like a failure to him (that he doesn't have other stuff to do) and he would probably take it out on the characters.
Oh interesting notion. He is certainly one to unleash his issues on his characters. lol.

WillowFromBuffy

Extra flamy candles!
That is true. The comics have gotten a lot more grounded than they were. There is a lot to like about s10 and 11.

But there are so many things in the comics that would never fly in the TV show. A camel is a horse designed by committee. If Joss could take more interest, he might veto some of the worse ideas, such as pregnant robot Buffy or the origin of boy-slayer, who never becomes a major character.

Its quite the set up...
It really is, but I still think @Mr Pole is right, and there will eventually be a big crash. I cannot see this ending with everyone happy and 'alive', that's just not the Whedon way.

I agree, S11 felt very much rooted in the real world, but where as I think some would like this I didn't, it took away the "fantasy" element for me.
They definitely took a new direction this season, and I think they were aiming for satire/comment on the US political situation. I'm not sure they actually achieved what they seemed to be aiming for, but I enjoyed it anyway.

But there are so many things in the comics that would never fly in the TV show. A camel is a horse designed by committee. If Joss could take more interest, he might veto some of the worse ideas, such as pregnant robot Buffy or the origin of boy-slayer, who never becomes a major character.
You know I loved that pregnant Buffy arc :p (though I accept I may be the only person in the world that did). I agree, Billy the boy slayer was a silly idea, but I think it was an attempt to expand the universe.

The trouble is that we just cannot predict what Joss would do if he were more involved. He is part of the initial season meeting and I would think he veto's anything he doesn't like, issue by issue, but I concede that if his full attention were on the comics, we may have seen very different stories/outcomes

WillowFromBuffy

Extra flamy candles!
You know I loved that pregnant Buffy arc :p (though I accept I may be the only person in the world that did). I agree, Billy the boy slayer was a silly idea, but I think it was an attempt to expand the universe.
The thing that bothers me the most is that they don't commit. A boy slayer should have been a major new character, but he ends up being a short distraction from the main season arc. Buffy having an abortion could have been an interesting story, but then it is cut off for this silly robot thing.

You get the sense that there are too many cooks and too much mess. The comics would be better if there were fewer but more developed ideas. Joss wrote only a few episodes of Buffy on TV, but his leadership made the show feel much less schizophrenic than the comics.

Grace

Destructo-Girl
Black Thorn
If Joss could take more interest, he might veto some of the worse ideas, such as pregnant robot Buffy or the origin of boy-slayer, who never becomes a major character.
Pretty sure Joss was on board with those plot developments. He gave an interview about the pregnancy storyline ("I know everything about it, but will tell you nothing. Except, like I said, it’s going to end up being a storyline that is rooted in the Buffyverse.") and Jane Espenson and Drew Z. Greenberg -- both BtVS TV writers -- wrote the two Billy the Vampire Slayer issues. In some cases, it's people who were not involved on the TV show -- namely, Christos Gage -- who have chosen the less zany storylines.

I think part of the issue that Joss ran into with the comics is that he is a total comics guy. So he wanted to play around with the conventions of comics the way he played around with the conventions of TV/horror movies/etc. But most of the BtVS audience was not as familiar with the comics tropes, so they lost interest.

The comics would be better if there were fewer but more developed ideas. Joss wrote only a few episodes of Buffy on TV, but his leadership made the show feel much less schizophrenic than the comics.
That seems to be exactly what they are doing with a 12-issue season written by one writer.

Mrs Gordo

Black Thorn
@Mr. Pole you asked me what I know about Christos. I'm not sure how much he knew about the Buffyverse. He feels to have the characters down pretty well, Comic!Buffy has always felt a little different to me but that just might be SMG/paper Buffy are different. He seems to get the dialogue pretty well so I wonder how much he knew about the 'verse. I'm sure there are others that are more invested in the comic verse that know more than me.

The lady that is writing Angel right now, I think I read she had not known much about the 'verse and so she had to do some studying. I feel the disconnect greatly in her writing of Angel and Fred.

I guess overall - I still have a great amount of faith that Joss is a great writer and would give me something meaty. I remain a fan of his stuff. I liked his Avengers for example. S8 was crazy loco but it was kind of exciting.

WillowFromBuffy

Extra flamy candles!
That seems to be exactly what they are doing with a 12-issue season written by one writer.
Is that what they did for s11? My opinion may be somewhat uninformed.

My problem is not really with the story lines in themselves. It is more the way they end up feeling messy and inconsequential. Buffy has a lesbian encounter. Dawn is a centaur. In the end, it amounts to nothing. S11 had a clear arc and few confusing elements, so it is my favourite so far.

Grace
Grace
Yeah, Christos wrote every issue of S11 and there were only 12 total. (He wrote all of S10 too but NB co-wrote some issues and there were 30 total.)
The thing that bothers me the most is that they don't commit. A boy slayer should have been a major new character, but he ends up being a short distraction from the main season arc. Buffy having an abortion could have been an interesting story, but then it is cut off for this silly robot thing.
I agree about Billy, silly idea that went nowhere (which I'm quite glad about) But the pregnancy arc reminded me of Ted, in that it takes Buffy down a very dark and difficult path. We see how she'd behave in those situation and what decisions she'd make, but we don't actually have to make a big deal about it because it isn't real.

In both cases, Ted and On Your Own, we couldn't deal with either situation in one episode, it would have to be part of the whole season arc imo, and I wouldn't have wanted that for Buffy, so for me both stories worked well and didn't clog up the season with their endless repercussions. (In some ways it's a pity the AR didn't turn out to be a dream)

MarieVampSlayer

Bloody hell, Sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers..
Sineya
I don't know, I would only allow JW to return if he was fully commited and happy to be back. We don't want him to murder a charcaters arc because he doesn't care enough about them!

Top Bottom