1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

How would you sell Buffy to someone

Discussion in 'Sunnydale Cemetery' started by Chosen Enemy, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Chosen Enemy

Chosen Enemy Losing my soul

We all have to deal with people grossed out that you love BtVS, without even trying watching it. And we're always trying to explain them why this show is so good, why we're fans.

So what are your explanations? In other words, how would you "sell" Buffy to those people, as if you were salesmen?

2. Wishing Oceans

Wishing Oceans I don't think, I know.

Mmm nope, almost all of my friends have seen the show, and love it!

I could probably talk them into it if they hadn't seen it though.

3. Username

Username Scooby

Well, none of my friends like Buffy, when I first started watching Buffy they looked at me with raised eyebrows and I tried explaining to them that show is so much more than just vampires, it's funny and smart and the characters are amazing, I even made them watch some episodes. It didn't work, my friends are stupid and I gave up on them liking Btvs.. But they also tried to make me like the shows that they love, e.g One Tree Hill and Gossip Girl, and I'm just like oh brother..... nowadays I just accept that we have different taste in tv..

4. prophecygrrl

prophecygrrl The girl in question

I've been trying to talk my friends into watching BtVS for the longest time! No one really seemed interested, but I finally succeeded with one friend. Which was awesome, because she finished watching the whole series in two months! (And independently of my influence, she loves the same characters and the same pairings, yay :D)

She's a big Doctor Who fan, and so I got her to start watching by telling her how Russell T Davies was inspired by some elements of BtVS for the DW reboot series. I find it's easier to get people to start watching if you can find other shows to compare it to. Worked like a charm for me, anyway. :p

5. soulunsung

soulunsung Resident Bitca

I always start with Prophecy Girl, because I feel like that's the episode in the first season that really drives home what this show is and will become with the seasons that followed. I just usually tell them to start with Prophecy Girl and then go back and watch the first season from beginning to end which will mean they've watched this episode twice and give it a chance. :)

6. ShaeWolf

ShaeWolf Townie

I tie em down, hold their eyes open and make em watch it! lol :D

Seriously though I really have only told a few people about it that were really interested afterwards. So I just tell em, suggest they watch and see what happends next. ^-^

7. Carrrrgh

Carrrrgh :O

Well my friend told me she was obsessed with Buffy and for years I was like HA Buffy, that's cool....not.

But then one day I was watching TV and noticed Buffy was playing a lot on LoGo so I watched an episode. The episode was called Blood Ties and my first reaction was "I had NO idea Michelle Trachtnberg was in Buffy...interesting"

I didn't really care much for the episode cause I was seriously confused at what was going on and then a few weeks late I saw it was on again and I watched the episode After Life and at this moment I fell in love with Buffy The Vampire Slayer....and Spike also, he was a big reason I liked it. I immediately started watching from Welcome To The Hellmouth and all the way through to Chosen.

Best TV show ever. Everyone should give it a chance.

8. msfantastico87

msfantastico87 Joann the Goblin Slayer

Well I was able to get some of my male friends to watch it simply by saying "Lesbians" lmfao. They actually ended up overlooking that, ok nnot so much, and they ended up really loving the show.

As for the ladies i've tried to get to watch the show, I just tell them about Angel and Spike half nekkid and What the story is about. Oh and about OMWF, that one usually does the trick

VisionGirl: lol
  9. VisionGirl

VisionGirl Newly Human

Sineya
    I'm the only one of my friends that likes Buffy, well, except my cousin, he loves Buffy & actually teaches Firefly in his university English classes. So, I just annoy everybody by posting Buffy quotes all the freaking time on FB. They just think I'm crazy now lol. Actually, they're suprised by the witty dialogue, and hell, it's easy to find a Buffy quote for every occasion! I've even entered into a dialogue a bit with a friend who's a Twihard- posted that Bangel video that we're all loving, & she said "You'd love Twilight!". No, I wouldn't. :)

---------- Post added at 03:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 PM ----------

Talking about Twilight? I've tried, I can't even make it through an entire movie. Sorry, I know there are Twilight fans here, I have nothing against it, I just thinking it's a crappy movie!

ShaeWolf: Oh, you can't fool me. I see right through your petty charade. :D
  10. LoveLoveLovix

LoveLoveLovix Puella Magi

Weeeeelllll... I used to not like the idea of Buffy from what I knew of it. I saw about five minutes of it when I was eight, and I had nightmares of vampires for years to come.

Last year, however, my girlfriend of the time threatened to tie me to a chair and force me to watch it if I didn't do it willingly. So there's that.

She also showed me Angel first, and I liked that. When Buffy made her first guest appearance on Angel, I was like, "Hey, she's a cool character," and after moving and being bored, I started watching the show on my own, then with my dad.

I couldn't convince people to watch it. I am bad at convincing, hence why I have nobody to Winx Club fangirl with... but most of my friends are Buffy fans, so it's alright for now.

11. Professor Walsh

Professor Walsh Feminist slayerette

Black Thorn
    I don't. If I meet someone who happens to be fans, that's cool, but I never bother with "selling" it.

12. Ms.Trick

Ms.Trick Scooby

I would just show the Buffyverse trailer from youtube (you know, the awesome one! But season 7 is still missing).
    Then I would say "That movie seems epic right? Well it's not a movie. It's a show. It's Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Close your mouth now, I know you are surprised. You want me to lend you the DVD's?"

LoveLoveLovix: That is possibly the most epic idea ever!
    ShaeWolf: What Buffyverse trailer?
  13. VisionGirl

VisionGirl Newly Human

Sineya
    Ms.Trick: I can't wait for season 7 :D
  14. xfivebyfive

xfivebyfive Because its Fate.

Black Thorn
    Usually I talk about it so much they watch it just to shut me up lmao :p

15. NY State of Mind

NY State of Mind Cain

Black Thorn
    I just tell them....Do you like Hot Chicks with Superpowers? Then this shows for you! :)

Abbeycat: Lol. Lu.
  16. Abbeycat

Abbeycat Werewolf

Sineya
    I'd be like "Do you like strong women characters? Do you like demons and vampires? This is the show for you!"

Willow My Love: Sounds like an infomercial. ;)
    Skytteflickan88: Short and true.
  17. Doppelgang

Doppelgang Always Believe

How you'd sell Buffy is very different, I think, from what actually makes it good. For that reason I would say the best way to get someone to like it is to just get them to watch a few carefully chosen episodes, and then they can see for themselves whats so good about it. The episodes you chose would depend on the personality of the person you're trying to sell it to.

I've not had much luck selling it to other people myself, my sister couldn't understand why I liked it so much, and my nieces are big twilight fans, so I think thats affected how they view vampire stories, I don't know if they'd be able to appreciate Buffy after that, but maybe when they're a bit older.

Willow My Love: Sorry to hear about your nieces. :p
  18. Willow My Love

Willow My Love Scooby

I tried to get my best friend into it, but after she lost one of my discs from s1, I gave up... And after my twin got me one for Christmas, she found it. -_- Now she gets to keep it and watch it. But she doesn't get it. Buffy is why I'm as witty as I am.

I got my person into it. I just started watching season one, and he watched it with me and got into it. Then we went to season two, three, and pretty soon, I had him quoting Buffy with me. :)

Ms.Trick: Witty-thanks-to-Buffy karma!
  19. Skytteflickan88

Skytteflickan88 Proud Spikette

I've never meet any "You watch Buffy? Really?" people, but this is probably how I would sell the show:

"OMG, it's so awesome, you have to watch it! WATCH IT!"

Hopefully I would then go on to say that it's a show with horror, drama, romance, comedy and action, that can make me laugh at the jokes, cry at the painful deaths of beloved characters and applaud the action scenes. That it's a show that doesn't take itself seriously and can be really silly, yet has serious poignant moments that glues me to the screen and make me reflect on the world and the people in it. I really don't know how to sum up the whole thing, since it seems unique. I guess it depends on who I'm trying to sell it too.

A ten year old boy might like to hear it has monsters in it, a teen might like to hear that it uses monsters of the week as metaphors for teen troubles, a horny lonely 22 year old (me *cough*) might like to know it has hot characters in it, female and male, and a feminist on the prowl for a good tv show might like that a woman is the main kick a** character on the show, yet that it's realistic and doesn't paint men as the bad guys.

Trying to say what Buffy is seems hard. Easier to say what it isn't. It's not a show about that vampires are hot. It's not a show about the everyday drama of a a group of friends. It's not a show with a feministic message that has to slam the viewers with morals every episode. It's not a show that depends on good looking actors. But at the same time, it has hot vampires, a group of friends dealing with everyday problems and a feministic message. It's a bit of everything really. Hard and pointless to lable.

Ms.Trick: I love your post very, very much! :heart:
  20. Spikefan31

Spikefan31 Effulgent

Black Thorn
    My friends think I'm weird and that Buffy is cheesy and lame and whatnot. I assume. I've never tried to make them watch it. In fact, I rarely talk about it at school. Because I know it doesn't interest them. I just let them watch their anime while I enjoy the epicness that is Buffy. That said, my friends and I do like some of the same shows eg Bones, NCIS, The Mentalist. But they're generally not fantasy/sci-fi fans. :(