• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Hyundai Elevate

Spanky

I'm came here to chew bubblegum and go off topic.
Black Thorn
Hyundai says it designed it for first responders who need to access difficult terrain. (Think mountains, forests, or other rock-strewn landscapes that are inaccessible to most terrestrial vehicles.) Electrically powered and modular so it can swap vehicle bodies for a variety of use cases, the South Korean automaker is calling it an “Ultimate Mobility Vehicle.”

Elevate has four “legs,” each with a series of joints, enabling the vehicle to mimic both mammalian and reptilian walking gaits. Here’s how the automaker describes this truly bizarre feature:
The legs also fold up into a stowed drive-mode, where power to the joints is cut, and the use of an integrated passive suspension system maximizes battery efficiency. This allows Elevate to drive at highway speeds just like any other vehicle. But no other can climb a five foot wall, step over a five foot gap, walk over diverse terrain, and achieve a 15 foot wide track width, all while keeping its body and passengers completely level. Further, the combination of wheeled motion with articulating legs provides a new paradigm of mobility by enabling faster walking speeds, unique dynamic driving postures and torsional control at the end of each leg.

white avenger

white avenger
This is a joke, right? Or some reject from a "Star Wars" rip off?

Okay, if it really is in development, can anyone actually imagine how complicated that "walking" feature would be, and how prone to breakage would be? And that doesn't even take into consideration training an operator to pilot it or a maintenance crew to keep it running. Plus, everything that that thing could do could be accomplished by a helicopter or a Humvee at probably a fifth the price.

Other than that, it looks fantastic. When do they expect to develop a working model?

Spanky

Black Thorn
This is a joke, right? Or some reject from a "Star Wars" rip off?

Okay, if it really is in development, can anyone actually imagine how complicated that "walking" feature would be, and how prone to breakage would be? And that doesn't even take into consideration training an operator to pilot it or a maintenance crew to keep it running. Plus, everything that that thing could do could be accomplished by a helicopter or a Humvee at probably a fifth the price.

Other than that, it looks fantastic. When do they expect to develop a working model?
I started the video halfway thru, you can go back and it talks about articulation, etc and how they plan on doing it.

Here's more info. article
There are a ton of other articles. It's make a lot of sense. Not sure how practical it is though.

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Did Elon Musk invent this one too? Very impractical, helicopters do a pretty great job of rescues in rough terrain. Could be a fun theme park ride though!

Spanky

Black Thorn
Very impractical, helicopters do a pretty great job of rescues in rough terrain.
Not really. It's very practical (if implausible) and it would far surpass the ability of helicopters.

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
That looks pretty cool, like a more flexible version of a big Mars Rover. Also reminds me of that DARPA dog, remember that scary looking thing?

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
I can just imagine it getting a foot stuck in a rabbit hole.

And what if Skynet takes over and loads a canon on top??:eek:

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
Reportedly the initial designs were made by an American, an American pencil, but hey!

Top Bottom