• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

I am glad they never brought back Tara (or Fred)

W

WillowFromBuffy

I am glad they never brought back Tara (or Fred, but I won't bother talking about her).

For those who does not know, Joss intended to bring back Tara in s7. Buffy would be granted a wish from some genie and she would use this wish to bring Tara back to life. The plans were scrapped, because Amber did not want to play first Evil Tara in Conversations with Dead People after the backlash to Tara's death.

This idea seems completely bonkers to me.

Firstly: Willow's long suffering would seem like a cruel joke. She would spend all this time learning that she can't have everything she wants, only to get what she wants the most.

Secondly: Why would Buffy do this? Would it not occur to her that Tara, like Buffy, might not want to come back?

Thirdly: Wouldn't the reunion be a little awkward? I mean, Tara would definitely forgive Willow eventually, but she would probably like some time to process the fact that Willow chose to honour her memory by flaying her murderer. The situation would put an awful lot of pressure on her. Buffy would be presenting Tara as a gift to a broken hearted Willow. If Tara decided she needed time to think things over, it would undoubtedly give Willow a nervous breakdown.

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
The plans were scrapped, because Amber did not want to play first Evil Tara in Conversations with Dead People after the backlash to Tara's death.
I'm glad Amber refused as the "She still sings to you" scene with Cassie was perfect and I think that's just because I can imagine the real Tara up in heaven singing to Willow. It wouldn't have been as effective if 'Tara' were actually talking to Willow :(

W

WillowFromBuffy

I'm glad Amber refused as the "She still sings to you" scene with Cassie was perfect and I think that's just because I can imagine the real Tara up in heaven singing to Willow. It wouldn't have been as effective if 'Tara' were actually talking to Willow :(
I agree. It is a great scene. I cannot imagine how it would have worked with Tara. Would Willow have been able to speak?

buffy1990

"Every now and then, people surprise you."
Yeah I always thought that idea was crazy and I'm glad they didn't go through with it. Like you said, the idea of Buffy bringing back someone from the dead after all she had been through herself in season 7 seems completely unrealistic.

It's also a really fine line in supernatural shows when it's appropriate to bring a character back from the dead and when it's not. If you kill characters and bring them back too many times, it just lessens the impact of their death in the first place. I loved Tara, but she definitely should be left in peace.

thrasherpix

Scooby
There's a series I love in which Vol 3 of it killed off some major characters, sometimes in brutal and undignified ways that were tear jerking gut punches to me, and to many others, some of whom demand a certain character in particular be brought back, but I hope they never do (though her death was the one that affected me the most). While I have some quibbles with that volume, I have to admit they have made the survivors (one of which lost her arm) much more compelling to me later on, and the fights mean more.

When one major fight scene happened (it actually was over more than one episode) I was sure at least one would die and was on the edge of my seat (and I do believe the writers were intentionally teasing us with the possibility) and when none did, I was elated beyond words...because the fights matter, and victory is not assured (they can't kill off the main character until they're ready to end the series--and then all bets are off even for her--but damn they can heap on the pain to the point that there is no victory and even survival is hollow).

If the show gives in to demands to bring one character back then it will cheapen all of it, IMO. (I can see two lesser characters brought back which would actually not be WTF given the canon about how the world works, though an android with a soul might be missing her soul if rebuilt which would be even more tragic than her death/destruction and there's still the question of how the android was given a soul/aura in the first place which I expect has an ugly answer, and I have mixed feelings on even those 2 being brought back. If they bring back only one then I hope it's the villain cohort that died unexpectedly, which could be explained as the creatures turn to dust similar to Buffyverse vampires when killed, and the creature was killed only seconds after swallowing the villain whole while the heroine had to run to save her own life so she wouldn't have seen it.)

As sad and horrible as these deaths can be, even strangely traumatic, I find I do prefer that the pivotal ones are indeed permanent, or at least "once in a lifetime (of a show)" so that no one expects it. Otherwise, it becomes a little more like this:

Athena

I'm not what you think I am
Staff member
Black Thorn
See, I always wanted to see First Evil Tara in CwDP. I think that would have been a deliciously evil thing for the First to accomplish - actually truly hurt someone we love rather than make some unknown potential kill herself. I understand why Amber didn't want to do it, and I respect her for not going against her principles that way, but it would have been a total gut punch for Willow to see First Evil Tara, especially if she was totally not the Tara we knew and loved. That'd hurt Willow, but it'd also hurt the viewers too; that her form was being used for evil.

As for Buffy bringing her back from the dead, I thought the show established only supernatural deaths could be brought back? Natural deaths like Tara & Joyce couldn't (at least not in the form they died in....) But I agree that Buffy going through what she did at the start of S6 would mean she would never do that to Tara. Ever.

I think, sadly, Willow had to move on. Like you said, there were too many bad things that would have happened if Tara had come back. Of course, Tara would always love Willow, but how would she react to the knowledge of her girlfriend killing Warren and almost destroying the entire world? Also, it would be sad because Willow went through becoming evil and dealing with Tara's death, all to see her alive again. And, Tara was obviously the embodiment of pure good (my reasoning behind why The First was unable to be her) and therefore resided in Heaven, just like Buffy did when she died. So wouldn't it be very hard for Tara after she returned, and Season Seven would be a repeat of Season Six with Tara coming back from Heaven instead of Buffy coming back from Heaven.

All in all, I love Tillow and their relationship is so sweet and beautiful, but it would have been hard to bring back Tara from the dead, especially months after so many big things happened in the Scoobie's lives.

Top Bottom