• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

I don't get Cangel

AngelsCordy

Townie
For me was Cangel the most believable „love“ story in both series. Bangel was a "fairy tale" with other I can't describe it. They was diretcly attached to each other. Which I thought was overdrawn.

I also liked how Angel and Cordelia started from stranger to be friends and than falling slowly in love. I liked how they grow with eachother. They took years - with Bangel it was not long, and thats why I thought it feeled forced.

Antho

Scooby
For me was Cangel the most believable „love“ story in both series. Bangel was a "fairy tale" with other I can't describe it. They was diretcly attached to each other. Which I thought was overdrawn.

I also liked how Angel and Cordelia started from stranger to be friends and than falling slowly in love. I liked how they grow with eachother. They took years - with Bangel it was not long, and thats why I thought it feeled forced.
Don’t want to be impolite but why do you talk about Bangel ? This thread isn’t even about them. It’s about Cangel and people who don’t get them. If you want to express why you love them you can do it without putting another ship down.

AngelsCordy

Townie
Other users have even brought Buffy into the debate as well :) Me isn't the only one who did it. And I didnt want to bring it down - its just my opinion.

Antho
Antho
Okay 😌

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
If I had been tapped to be a showrunner for the Angel show, here is what I would have done: I would have put a spreadsheet together with the names of the characters on a vertical axis and the same list on the horizontal axis. Then I would have looked for intersections that hadn't been used yet. Cordelia's first impression of Angel was "salty goodness" so that was a promising one that hadn't been used. It's a bit more scientific than using a dartboard.

Then once Angel was attracted to Cordelia, he is stumbling around an explanation then gets pre-empted by Groo arriving and Cordelia running off with him. This is a ship and all ships sink in the Whedonverse. Hardly an event in a love story. But the couple looked good together and in Waiting in the Wings, it would have been totally believable if they had tried their luck with each other right there, while they were both looking the best they ever do in the series but it was just the writers teasing us.

The only TV series I can remember where there were no relationships was Warehouse 13. Everyone else in the business seems to believe that you put an attractive girl and an attractive man together, sooner or later they have to become a couple. But relationships don't last in this series. For that matter, no human survived employment at Angel Investigations.

Cangel1987

♥ Cangel ♥ Spuffy ♥
Me started like them in Sunnydale - long before they was even a thing. But that at time I didnt really "ship" them. They also had some great moments there. But really it started for me in Los Angeles shortly after Doyle was gone. You see here they werent even an intem when I started to like them.

I cant explain but at this time it just happened - and after the years passed I also feelt even more drawn to them. I also liked the slow depelopment of their relationship. From strangers, to friends to more. Maybe I am a bit biased because my boyfriend and me started as friends and are still together after 15 years.

Faded90

Scooby
Don’t want to be impolite but why do you talk about Bangel ? This thread isn’t even about them. It’s about Cangel and people who don’t get them. If you want to express why you love them you can do it without putting another ship down.
I think some Cangel support (emphasis on some,sorry Cangels!) means having to diminish Buffy’s character or Bangel.I’m exaggerating here but there could be a scene ofCangel saying hello to each other and we’d get a ‘Buffy could never get Angel to say hello the way Cordy does’ 😂

I get the whole ‘friends to lovers’ thing and in real life we know that’s great but that doesn’t mean that couples (like Bangel) who go from meeting with an instant attraction to becoming lovers are lesser than in any way. Some couples do meet and become romantically involved first because of the spark between them, it’s not a bad thing and I don’t know why this seems to be something that diminishes Bangel in any way

AngelsCordy

Townie
It's the same way if you (Bangels) say Angel and Cordelia feels forced while we think it doesnt! There you (some of you) demolish the relationship too and does it make look weak. An example: I think its more like taking a sip of your own medication.

Antho

Scooby
I think some Cangel support (emphasis on some,sorry Cangels!) means having to diminish Buffy’s character or Bangel.I’m exaggerating here but there could be a scene ofCangel saying hello to each other and we’d get a ‘Buffy could never get Angel to say hello the way Cordy does’ 😂
Completely agree. It’s ironically true !

It's the same way if you (Bangels) say Angel and Cordelia feels forced while we think it doesnt! There you (some of you) demolish the relationship too and does it make look weak. An example: I think its more like taking a sip of your own medication.
And so ? If they think it was forced what is the problem ? Everyone has an opinion and has the right to express it. They say that on cangel like some people say Bangel is a puppy teenage love based only on the physical and like others people saying that Spuffy is toxic or Briley incredibly boring. I don’t see what’s wrong.

But again this is going nowhere as it isn’t the purpose of this thread. The title is « I don’t get Cangel » so obviously the person that has created this thread only wants to people that like Cangel to explain it why they love Cangel to see if that changes the perception the person has on that relationship. I maintain that we can and I even think we SHOULD be able to explain why we love a pairing without talking about another.

thrasherpix

Scooby
People bring Buffy into in, at least in part, because the same barriers that exist for Bangel also exist for Cangel, even if the show conveniently overlooks that.

I personally don't care. I think Angel became A LOT more interesting when he got his own show and stopped constantly being the love interest and plot device of Buffy, that is a real character rather than a woman's fantasy. Cangel was okay in that it didn't disrupt that, even if some parts are really stupid (but that's not what this thread is about), and I have a head canon I'm happy with that Jasmine was manipulating both of them, which is to say it's not "real love" between Cordelia and Angel (Cordy directly and Angel indirectly--though so much better than Bangel beeing seeded because Angel sees Buffy suck on a lollipop at a high school) to create Cangel. It's the story itself that jangles for me, why the reasons that matter regarding Bangel suddenly don't about Cangel. Offhand, the only part that even mentions why Bangel couldn't happen is Cordy making a snarky "you'll never have perfect happiness with me."

And I'd like it if people stopped treating these relationships as ordinary. There were strong, dangerous, paranormal elements to them (in addition to Angel feeling he was dragging a living girl into the shadows away from things he thinks matter, destroying their ability to have a normal life as well as shortening it...though on that one I remember wanting to ask him why he thought Buffy had a chance in hell, no pun intended, of having a long, happy life dying surrounded by many grandchildren) The elements that proved a barrier to Bangel should also produce a similar barrier to Cangel.

So yes, Bangel NEEDS to be talked about to talk about Cangel, if just to say why what matters in regards to Buffy doesn't matter in regards to Cordy.

Antho

Scooby
People bring Buffy into in, at least in part, because the same barriers that exist for Bangel also exist for Cangel, even if the show conveniently overlooks that.

I personally don't care. I think Angel became A LOT more interesting when he got his own show and stopped constantly being the love interest and plot device of Buffy, that is a real character rather than a woman's fantasy. Cangel was okay in that it didn't disrupt that, even if some parts are really stupid (but that's not what this thread is about), and I have a head canon I'm happy with that Jasmine was manipulating both of them, which is to say it's not "real love" between Cordelia and Angel (Cordy directly and Angel indirectly--though so much better than Bangel beeing seeded because Angel sees Buffy suck on a lollipop at a high school) to create Cangel. It's the story itself that jangles for me, why the reasons that matter regarding Bangel suddenly don't about Cangel. Offhand, the only part that even mentions why Bangel couldn't happen is Cordy making a snarky "you'll never have perfect happiness with me."

And I'd like it if people stopped treating these relationships as ordinary. There were strong, dangerous, paranormal elements to them (in addition to Angel feeling he was dragging a living girl into the shadows away from things he thinks matter, destroying their ability to have a normal life as well as shortening it...though on that one I remember wanting to ask him why he thought Buffy had a chance in hell, no pun intended, of having a long, happy life dying surrounded by many grandchildren) The elements that proved a barrier to Bangel should also produce a similar barrier to Cangel.

So yes, Bangel NEEDS to be talked about to talk about Cangel, if just to say why what matters in regards to Buffy doesn't matter in regards to Cordy.
I disagree. You can talk of all what you said without mentioning Bangel because it’s about Angel’s curse, so it’s about HIM. Plus saying that Bangel is a fairy tale story or a plot device to Buffy I really fail to understand how this is going to help people to « get Cangel » as I recall this is the main topic. Remarks like this are not only off topic but this is obviously like a big open door to turn this thread into another ship wars like thousand thread before this one.

AngelsCordy

Townie
@Antho Maybe you should read the texts of the last sections again I think it still matters in one way or the other.

Sure, it was being asked "I don't get Cangel" so most going to explain why they like it. But we can't explain it: It's more like you need to feel it, it's a gut feeling.Some see it, others don't - If you do not have an feeling for it, no one can explain it.

Antho

Scooby
Sure, it was being asked "I don't get Cangel" so most going to explain why they like it. But we can't explain it: It's more like you need to feel it, it's a gut feeling.Some see it, others don't - If you do not have an feeling for it, no one can explain it.
This I agree with. As it’s difficult for me to express why I love something. And yes it’s just a questions of feelings.

FaithLehane16

"Tact is not saying true stuff. I'll pass."
That's what I mean about Cordelia being second best, she's accepting that she'll never make Angel as happy as his ex did and that seems kind of out of character for Cordy in my view. Cordelia always wanted to be number 1, her self respect wouldn't get her into a love triangle because as far as she's concerned, it's her or nothing, yet here Cordy is settling for a guy who still has feelings for his ex and who would be with his ex in a shot if it didn't unleash Angelus.
Darla is #2 since Angel has a kid with her. When the writers were unsuccessfully writing Cangel, and Darla showed up, Angel put Darla's importance above Cordy's. Angel sacrificed his undead life, so that Darla could be given the second shot of life. When Drusilla re-sired Darla, it really upset Angel. Angel did some sacrificing for Buffy, Connor, and Darla. I never seen Angel sacrificing much for Cordelia. Cordelia would be #3.

Honestly they have to make both characters lesser than what they are to try and make them appear compatible. They have to remove most things that make Cordy Cordy and Angel they have to turn into a complete goofball

In summary to cut a long story short Cangel is complete bollocks
Cangel is complete bollocks. ;)

Angel became Xander-like while Cordy became Buffy-like.

Hi Guys,

Hoping you could explain "Cangel" to me as I just don't understand it. I think Angel and Cordelia are brilliant as friends and have a fantastic platonic chemistry, I just don't see a romantic spark between them. I see it as the same as Buffy and Xander. In fact I saw more of as spark between Cordelia and Connor. Admittedly I am a huge Bangel fan and have been since the show first aired 20 years ago, but I can see the spark between Spike and Buffy and why "Spuffy" is so popular. (Also Spike is my favourite character so that helps lol. I'm not anti-Cordelia. In fact she is one of my favourite characters).

Can you point out what i am missing?
Me neither. It all contradicts Angel's reason on leaving Buffy and starting his own show. Really, it is just bad writing and a waste of writing when the writers should have written a suspenseful sub plot.

You're not missing anything. There was more chemistry between The Beast and Jasdelia.
I very much agree.

Last edited:

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Darla is #2 since Angel has a kid with her. When the writers were unsuccessfully writing Cangel, and Darla showed up, Angel put Darla's importance above Cordy's. Angel sacrificed his undead life, so that Darla could be given the second shot of life. When Drusilla re-sired Darla, it really upset Angel. Angel did some sacrificing for Buffy, Connor, and Darla. I never seen Angel sacrificing much for Cordelia. Cordelia would be #3.
That's true, however Darla was always Angelus' love rather than Angel's, so whilst Angel does care about Darla, it not in a romantic way. He cares about Buffy in a romantic way and supposedly Cordy too, hence why Cordy is second best to Buffy but not Darla. If Darla had lived and remained souled then it could've been interesting to see where that went. A Dangel/Bangel love triangle would've been the most organic love triangle on television not done just for cheap drama. Angelus and Angel are basically two personalities sharing one body whilst Darla and Buffy are the loves of the two personalities respectively. Which woman gets chosen is dependent on which personality in charge. Dangel is not a threat to Bangel and Bangel is not a threat to Dangelus but the two can't co-exist at the same time.

r2dh2

Never go for the kill when you can go for the pain
I'm still watching AtS for the first time, but I'm loving Cangel, or the idea of them together. It's very different relative to how I feel about Spuffy. I'm not ready to discuss them yet, but I see why some dislike them and why others really like them and ship them together.

Antho
Antho
season 3 episode 11 is a good episode ahah.. I hope you will continue to like the show

Antho

Scooby
I'm still watching AtS for the first time, but I'm loving Cangel, or the idea of them together. It's very different relative to how I feel about Spuffy. I'm not ready to discuss them yet, but I see why some dislike them and why others really like them and ship them together.
On what season are you ?

r2dh2
r2dh2
I'm in Season 3, episode 11 :).

FaithLehane16

"Tact is not saying true stuff. I'll pass."
That's true, however Darla was always Angelus' love rather than Angel's, so whilst Angel does care about Darla, it not in a romantic way. He cares about Buffy in a romantic way and supposedly Cordy too, hence why Cordy is second best to Buffy but not Darla. If Darla had lived and remained souled then it could've been interesting to see where that went. A Dangel/Bangel love triangle would've been the most organic love triangle on television not done just for cheap drama. Angelus and Angel are basically two personalities sharing one body whilst Darla and Buffy are the loves of the two personalities respectively. Which woman gets chosen is dependent on which personality in charge. Dangel is not a threat to Bangel and Bangel is not a threat to Dangelus but the two can't co-exist at the same time.
I still see Cordy as #3 regardless of Angel's supposed romantic interest in Cordy. Dangel is just stronger and makes Cangel weak in comparison.

Top Bottom