• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

I Fall to Pieces, Sense and Sensitivity, Expecting and She, which episode would you keep?

Mr Trick

Scooby
I did similar with Buffy. Now how about these stinkers from the debut season of Angel? If you had to keep one which would it be?

BTW I know not everyone agrees with me about these episodes so if you want to argue for them or pick other episodes you think are weaker then feel free?:)

Interesting question!

For me, it would probably be “Expecting,” mainly because, out of the rest of the episodes listed, this one the is most memorable (for me, anyways).

I’ve seen the episode a few times, but I don’t think I’ll forget the first time I ever watched it. For whatever reason, my Dad introduced me to Angel at a young age, and this is one of the first episodes that was imprinted on my five-year-old brain.

It scared me, but I also remember thinking that it was really awesome to see Cordy kicking demon butt after the weird psychic thing was over.

So yeah, there are way better episodes, but this one’s okay. I’d say, keep it.

Last edited:

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
I would keep I Fall to Pieces because I genuinely enjoy it, even (and especially) the silly, cheesy stuff like Ronald throwing his teeth. In all actuality, though, it's only She from that bunch that I don't still enjoy.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
“Pieces” has an interesting villain, so it has that. “Sense” is one of those episodes that would have been better in season 2 or 3, when W&H becomes a little more comedic and petty. “She” is one of those concepts that either should have been reworked, rewritten or dropped altogether. (Ian at Passion of the Nerd has a pretty good vivisection on that episode.) Especially since FGM isn’t really a thing in the United States, it doesn’t strike me as a crucial topic that needed to be told with that script. So that leaves “Expecting,” of which the first half, is okay. Cordie getting pregnant during her first time (I don’t believe it, either, but, sure, why not) with a demon is kind of funny, so like, half of a Buffy episode, with nothing interesting to say about it. So, I’m going to go with “Pieces.” He’s a decent monster of the week, combined with a run of the mill woman in an abusive relationship storyline. Second place, would be “She,” as I don’t think it could get made after 9/11.

Priceless

Scooby
None of these episodes are good and I'd get rid of all of them. Expecting and She are pretty bad. There is a lot going on in Sense & Sensitivity, but much of it concerns Kate who I don't feel particularly attached to. So although it's poor, I'd keep I Fall to Pieces.

Mr Trick

Scooby
She isn't a bad idea, but its just so plodding and boring. Plus DB and the female guest star have little chemistry. That cell phone joke taking up so much time was annoying! :D The two stand out scenes are Wes's dance and the coffee beans at the end:p Overall it might be my least favourite Angel episode ever.

Faded90

Potential
She isn't a bad idea, but its just so plodding and boring. Plus DB and the female guest star have little chemistry. That cell phone joke taking up so much time was annoying! :D The two stand out scenes are Wes's dance and the coffee beans at the end:p Overall it might be my least favourite Angel episode ever.
Yeah I think there was supposed to be this crazy sexual tension between the woman and Angel and there’s just nothing there at all 😂

Mr Trick

Scooby
Yeah I think there was supposed to be this crazy sexual tension between the woman and Angel and there’s just nothing there at all 😂
Also that actress is in one of my least favourite episodes of Lost. There's just something about her which is toxic :D

Kratos

Scooby
I’d keep Sense and Sensitivity. It appeals to me the most (probably helps that Kate is one of my favourite characters), though I liked the other eps too other than She, which I didn’t care much for.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
1. If I had to keep only one of the four, it would be I Fall to Pieces. Good story, good villain (who reminded me of Der Kinderstot in Murder by Death by attacking with his eyes), good resolution.

2. She was the next best and it covered female genital mutilation which is not done here but there are numerous stories of families sending their daughters back to the old country to have it done. The episode kept my interest with the race between Angel and the Big Bads of the episode, the woman destroyers.

3. Third place is Expecting where the mystical rapid pregnancy bit is overused but it was OK as presented.

4. Sense and sensitivity tried to walk the tightrope between funny and cringeworthy and unfortunately fell into the latter. It was the first one I would dump because I don't think of embarrassment as entertaining, let alone funny. I was never a fan of Kate.

Antho

Scooby
I like Sense and Sensitivity because I relate to the theme of that episode. Maybe the execution of it is deplorable but that touches me on a personal way. So I can’t dislike it

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
Either Expecting or I Fall To Pieces, I enjoy them both.

Well I would never willingly get rid of a Doyle episode, we get so precious few of them - so She and Expecting are jettisoned with no further need of consideration (though I will give an honourable mention to the line: 'do you have any hobbies?'). Heck, there isn't a single latter half of s1 episode of Angel I would take over any Doyle episode, no matter how technically 'good' the episode might be or how bad the Doyle episode is. No Doyle? Don't wanna know.

So that leaves I Fall to Pieces or Sense and Sensitivity - both of which I like, because Doyle; and neither of which I would willingly give up, because Doyle. However, if I was choosing which one to watch, I would probably go for I Fall to Pieces: the story is a better one; I don't mind the cheesy effects; it has the Doyle/ Cordy banter at the beginning where they joke about his crush on Angel and the Doyle/Cordy banter at the end where she touches him way more than is strictly necessary - and yes i do notice how handsy you're getting with him, Ms. Chase, and I know what it means (and it makes my Cordoyle 'til I die heart happy).
There are moments I love in Sense and Sensitivity but it loses points for Kate's speech. I know it's supposed to be cringey - but it is way above my embarrassment threshold and I can't watch. And it's not funny. That part isn't supposed to be funny, I know - but it's too much cringe and not much else. I do find parts of the episode very funny though, including some bits with Kate. I enjoy it every time I watch it. But I Fall to Pieces edges it because there are no parts where I have to look away and squirm with embarrassment, plus I find the story more compelling.

Top Bottom