• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

I have a theory.

Aadisakti

Townie
BOOM! Studios recently signed a first-look deal with Netflix (I read the article from two days ago), giving Netflix "exclusive" rights to their works. This includes the likes of their hits: Mouse Guard (which was expecting a movie prior to the Disney and Fox chop), Lumberjanes (a popular one, though, not a favourite of mine); Something is Killing the Children, as well as canon works of Steven Universe, Power Rangers, and Adventure Time - but, also ... the Whedonverse. My theory is simple: If anyone is going to do the Buffy (or, Angel; hell, why not Firefly?) reboot, it seems likely to be Netflix.

If this is the case, I would be more than happy to see what goes on. Netflix seems to have a proper flow of great releases (Stranger Things, Altered Carbon, Narcos, etc.), and I feel they'd make sure whomever works with them, will do a good job.

How do all you feel about it, then? Cheers!

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
I wouldn't mind if it takes place in the Buffy universe but has a completely new set of characters otherwise it's best left at Chosen.

Aadisakti
Aadisakti
I know this is a big a stretch, but I wouldn't mind if Netflix did an animated feature in the style of Castlevania about Buffy adventures.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
BOOM! purchased the rights for Whedonverse works. Do they have the right to resell rights to Netflix? It may not be possible for them to do so but if they can do this (and I see no reason anyone would block it), they are possibly the best chance for a Buffyverse production.

Aadisakti
Aadisakti
I agree. I am not sure if they can resell rights, but Netflix seems to be a best bet.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
I don't think it works that way. Boom! can license it's original works it owns. They may be able to license stories or characters they own or created for use in licensed properties. But, unless they purchased the film and streaming media rights when they licensed the comic book rights, they can't sell those to anyone. Licenses are usually non-transferable. If Netflix wanted to do an adaptation of Boom's Buffy, they could get that from Boom!, but they would still have to contact Kuzui Enterprises, Sanddollar, Mutant Enemy and 20th Century for the license to use the trademarks and respective rights. Or else they would have to call it "Season 13" and not mention the names of most of the characters. But, I don't have direct knowledge of the situation, but it does seem odd if they can do it that way.

Ragnar

Townie
I would like it if Netflix put out a Buffy show, but it would probably have a better chance of happening if they didn't read the comics. Maybe once the new show has aired they can base a comic book series on that.

rogueangel

Townie
While Boom comics have the rights to do Buffy and Angel comics, I doubt they had the rights to make a new tv series.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
Please not Netflix, they are crap the kids series Wolfs Blood was made in 5 seasons yet Netflix only bothered to show the first 3. Shows that had the show on DVD got bought by Netflix and the DVD's stopped, plus they are bad for the world wide filming industry.

Top Bottom