• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

I Robot, You Jane, in the 21 Century

nightshade

Plotting and planning
Staff member
Black Thorn
I Robot You Jane was a season one episode, one that explored the online world. Back then the internet, and especially internet dating was still a new thing, however now it's normal for people to date or marry people that the met online.

In today's world, this episode dates the show, we understand more about the risks and safety of meeting people off of the internet, and a lot of people do meet after talking online. How could this episode work today? Would it still work? They were 15/16 years old then, using school computers, would you have to change that to them meeting via an app or using the school iPad?

NeonSlayer
NeonSlayer
They were 16, WTTH was in January (1st moon after the solstice), Joyce said in The Harvest "everything is life or death when you're a 16 year old girl", & Buffy said in Witch she'd slayed over a year (it's stated many times she was activated at 15)

HoppyHippy

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Maybe instead of the Masters human factory, he is making a robot factory to house demons in that he raised from the depths.

Or Buffy slays a selfie sex app that takes your image and sends it to lonely, horny and possibly dangerous people. Oh wait, that sounds like tinder.

HowiMetdaSlayer
HowiMetdaSlayer
tinder's not that bad 😳
I don't think much would have to change. The risks are still the same - catfishing is a thing, so even though we all know what the risks are - people still get caught out. Only the look of the technology would need to be different, if it were made today. And maybe Buffy and Xander wouldn't be quite so quick to warn Willow of the risks - and then that would be a source of guilt and a growth point for them.
The message behind 'be careful who you talk to on the internet' is still, if not more, relevant today. Schools spend hours teaching Internet awareness - and kids still make the same daft mistakes. As do adults.
I think it completely stands up to the test of time. The only thing that doesn't is that the computers look old - but then so do the clothes. It is an old show, it was made and set in the 90s and looks like it. Talking about how it is 'dated' is as ridiculous as complaining that Jane Austen is 'dated' because they travel around in carriages and wear bonnets. The world moves on - but the dangers of interacting with people you don't really know remain the same. Mr. Wickham= Moloch = predator grooming young girls on twitter/facebook.

WillowFromBuffy

Extra flamy candles!
I think the best part of the episode is Willow herself - how much the validation she receives means to her and how angry she gets when Buffy suggests someone may be tricking her somehow.

HoppyHippy

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
I think the best part of the episode is Willow herself - how much the validation she receives means to her and how angry she gets when Buffy suggests someone may be tricking her somehow.
Thats a great point. I like this post. An updated version could provide a commentary on social media likes.

What about a similar storyline to that supernatural episode. The one where the monsters manifest if enough people believe. Speaking on the dangers of video feeds.

Being famous on the internet is like being popular in a mental home. Jonathons SuperStar spell could have been altered. Like he was trapped terrified in his mansion world because the internet believed he truely lived like his instagram feed.

Identity theft shape shifters. Possessed household items sold via Gumtree/craigslist. Soul sapping/sucking with lifetime of smart phone use. Smile time type enchantments. Selfie filter curses.

Lots could come from the updated tech. But the episode is still relevant, even aged.

My parents got freaked when I was emailing a divorced man in his 30s even though I was 20 and it was in 2007. I stopped emailing him.

My dad in 2018 still refers to going online a lot as "always on Facebook." My dad mistakenly refers to iPods as HiPie & PodHi. Neither of my parents knows how to set up apps or create an email address or program the tv or put a dvd in.

On Dr Phil there was a woman who became obsessed with someone she never met and went into a fugue state believing they were in love and dating. Another woman used photos of someone else's kids and tried to pass them off as her own even after she was found out.

HoppyHippy
HoppyHippy
I say Ithings. And that I need a dumbphone. I gotta watch dr phil sometime!
@HoppyHippy Many Dr Phil clips are on YouTube now, some are WTF (women who refuse to believe they aren't pregnant even when 4 years into the delusion they still haven't given birth) hilarious ("cash me outside" girl) others very unsettling (children who are def gonna grow up to be serial killers)

nightshade
nightshade
Buffy was 16 yes, but it's not stated when Willow's birthday was, I at least I can't recall it being mentioned
@nightshade In Innocence Xander mentioned he was 17 so his birthday is before Buffy's. Cordelia's birthday is in December so before Buffy's. In Older & Far Away Willow said she'd go on the beer run for Buffy's birthday party but she could've used magic or had a fake ID. But most likely her birthday is before Buffy's. Tara turned 20 years old 3 months before Buffy did. Oz was a year older. Riley was getting a master's degree when Buffy was an undergrad freshman. Giles went to college in the 70s before Buffy was born. Anya became a demon in 880. Angel was sired in 1753. Spike was sired in 1880.

It appears Buffy is the youngest of the Scoobies excluding Dawn.

My laptop has so many viruses on it that I took off the internet so now only go online on my phone. I know I should put the laptop back to factory settings and clean the hard drive but I have sooooo much saved on it that I don't want to lose.

So I believe demons on the internet are real. Stupid hackers.

Sineya
I used to be a neighbour of one girl who met someone online, set up a date, got dressed in her best, caught the train from Hamilton to Oshawa (about 80 miles), got there and was date raped that night and this would have been not long after this episode aired.

On the other hand, my daughter met her husband on "Plenty of Fish", a dating site, married him in September of 2015 and they have been happily married ever since. Every outcome is possible and no outcomes are excluded.

The equipment in the episode is dated but the concepts are the same. When I have met people in real life from forums, usually they are exactly as I imagined. But there have been a few surprises.

The Internet being possessed by a Demon that brings out the worst in people? Now more than ever. Obviously the parts about online dating will need to be updated, and I wish the name would have reserved for someone closer to the historical Moloch, I think the episode still holds up.

Top Bottom