• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

I Robot, You Jane: Preachy or a good lesson?

Spanky

Sir Spanks-a-lot
Black Thorn
Valid cautionary tale. A tale ahead of its time. There's still that show on MTV about the same themes.

buffy1990

"Every now and then, people surprise you."
I agree with everyone above. It’s a little cringy now because it’s so outdated, but today especially with the internet being such a huge part of our lives, it’s core message still holds up: You’ve gotta be cautious with who you meet online, or rather how much information you share.

It’s likely not going to end in a battle with an ancient demon trapped in the internet, but you never know...

Spanky

Sir Spanks-a-lot
Black Thorn
It’s likely not going to end in a battle with an ancient demon trapped in the internet, but you never know...
I dunno about that... back in the olden days was Mr. Pole was just Mr. Stick he met this internet forum chickie and pretty sure she was an ancient demon.

Fool for Buffy

I'm just being a big nerd again
Sineya
Make that episode now and it belongs on Disney channel. In 1997, I guess it was ahead of its time and a good lesson. But I just can't get into Malcolm. He's very silly.

Spanky

Sir Spanks-a-lot
Black Thorn
When it was first on, people thought it was VERY preachy lol, so these answers are kind of interesting.

:)
I think it's how badly it's written that makes it seem preachy. It really plays down to the teen show status. I think that's why the after-school vibe.

I don't think I can classify it as either, really. It's a lot like Beer Bad for me. Too silly to take seriously, and yet still entertaining. If they tried to preach or warn then they missed the mark, IMO.

I think it was a good lesson, but to me Malcolm was only creepy when we didn't know who he was or what he looked like.

RagnarockerB

The Dearest Queerest
Sineya
Nah, throw this one in the garbage where it belongs.

I mean, I won't protest too much with the whole message of being careful of who you interact with online and not giving out too much personal information, but "I, Robot... You, Jane" has the same tone-deaf fearmongering as the Dark Dungeons movie adaptation of a Chick Track. Also, maybe it's my inner comp-sci student here, but none of that is how computers work. Also, the phrase "the only reality is virtual, if you're not jacked in, you're not alive" is the cringiest fustercluck of words I've ever had the displeasure of hearing.

This is, however, the introductory episode of Jenny Calendar and well... I guess the episode is maybe worth skim watching for that.

I do like the Secret Orgins Of Moloch. Even if the name is totally inappropriate. I suppose he does have a cult.

Alittlegrim

Stuck In The Middle
It feels a bit preachy now though it was made in the late 1990's s back when the Internet was new on the scene. I actually think it raised a valid point when Xander says that Malcolm could say he was anyone and I was a bit surprised at how quickly and easily Buffy dismissed this. Though her lack of concern does come off as a fairly accurate depiction of people's innocence at the time. Online communication really can be dangerous. You don't have to be paranoid like Giles seemed to be but it is reasonable to be careful.

Last edited:
And that's alright in my book. A+ for Malcolm and his cult. Some of my favorite ists are cultists.
Well, Moloch is a biblical demon, tradition has him as a god worshiped through infant sacrifice at a temple in the vicinity of a fire midden. He's the namesake for immolation and fantasy always depicts him as one of Lords of Hell. That's a lot of material to work with. Lord of Hell, devours children, has a cult, fire motif. In Buffy, he breaks some chump's neck, gets sealed in Book by Kahless, and then he builds a Terminator.

To elaborate further, say Lilith showed up. Is she some sort of Vampire witch snake owl creature who Willow is either terrified of or in love with, or is she just some sort of owl orc who's jumping around like Wolf Oz. Dracula is how you should treat the ripped from mythology demons. Reverence, but a little goofy.

Sineya
Moloch or Molech was the Ammonite god of involuntary sacrifice. His symbol was the superimposed triangle pointing up and triangle pointing down. This was later adopted as the "Star of David" by the Israelite culture but the real fact is, David would have seen it - but in the enemy camp of the Ammonites.