• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

I think Gwen was over rated

Benz

Potential
I mean she only appeared in three episodes and Gwen was right coward as she took of moment when things got ugly.

I mean she could be great character but three episodes is not enough to be considered Buffy/Angel royalty as minor characters on Buffy like Devon/Hank/Larry/Percy appeared in more and there no really what call Buffy verse royalty and sure hard core fans would know Hank Buffy dad and Percy guy who used Buffy and Devon was Oz friend and in Oz Band but none of them are characters you would rank in top 10 or 20 characters.

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
I agree. She was fun, but she only got extra praise and notice because she had a hot costume and make up. Plus sexy shots with Angel AND Gunn. Huh, far more relevant to the real world than I noticed before.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
I don't think it's a case of being overrated. I think she's underutilized in the same vein as Ethan Rayne, who only appeared in four episodes and dominated in every one of them. She has an interesting backstory and an interesting superpower, part woman, part electric eel. She could have been a much greater presence in the story and she got Angel's heart to beat and this could have been another will they / won't they situation but better done than Cangel or Nina. She could have been used to terminate villains and break into places like Wolfram & Hart where she could disable all their surveillance.

I think this was a missed opportunity.

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
I think what a lot of fans react to (or what I react to) is all of this great potential. She made of an impact on me in the few episodes she was in than Kate did in her entire 2ish seasons on Angel. That’s a credit to the creation of a cool character, albeit slightly x-men-ish rip off, and also to the actress which did a great job and had great chemistry with DB and JAR.

I wanted more of Gweny. :)

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
underutilized
missed opportunity
I wanted more of Gweny.
Yeah I can see that :p

She is far more acknowledged then say, Bethany, who was also a dangerous chick with powers, minus the sex appeal costume. The only other woman on Ange'ls team with powers was Cordy. And that was a lame power and she wasn't even around at the same time as Gwen right? Then Joss turned Fred into sexy smurf and all were sated. The end.

Does she pop up in the comics?

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Yeah, underutilized. I have a similar attitude to Ethan Rayne; characters that leave you wanting more because they were used so well when they did turn up. That's where the rave reviews come from, the wish that we'd got more of them.

Does she pop up in the comics?
She's in Angel: After The Fall and I think some of the IDW comics.

AnthonyCordova

Earth Invasion Taskforce Unlimited
Sineya
I agree that the character had potential worth expanding on but I also think it is worth saying that the cast was already kind of a crowded boat. It's debatable but I would have a hard time seeing her get the proper treatment and development she deserved without sacrificing the development and attention the other main characters deserved too. And if I was forced to add another main character to the cast, I think it would be Faith instead that I would want for S5, if only one person could be afforded and made room for. These ideas have been discussed on the boards before, and I've always been kind of ambivalent about it and waffling, but it's an important point to consider.

GraceK

Grr Arrg
Both Gwen and Bethany were missed opportunities that could have added a lot. Honestly, IMO they are way TOO powerful and probably took away from big breasted lead Cordelia and therefore weren’t allowed to steal the spotlight. It’s pretty interesting that the only female character allowed to be another lead was a skinny science nerd who Wesley and Gunn fought over and Angel had no interest in romantically. The two super powered hot chicks , Bethany, who when first introduced was ten times more powerful then Cordelia and who Cordelia slut shamed, and then Gwen, who was younger, hotter and also dangerous , were quickly dispatched off the show. It wasn’t until Charisma was officially dead and off the show that Fred was allowed to be sexier and take the lead as Illyria. I would have rather had Bethany Be a recurring character than have Cordelia be half saint!demon and that forced romance. Or Gwen and Gunn together in season 4. Both Gwen and Bethany have trauma and are full fledged female characters with sympathic back stories and character arcs.

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
as minor characters on Buffy like Devon/Hank/Larry/Percy appeared in more and there no really what call Buffy verse royalty
I think the difference here, is not that she appeared in less episodes, but was actually a main part of those episodes and had much more to do onscreen. Plus she had awesome powers! She literally jump started Angel's heart!

I agree that the character had potential worth expanding on but I also think it is worth saying that the cast was already kind of a crowded boat. It's debatable but I would have a hard time seeing her get the proper treatment and development she deserved without sacrificing the development and attention the other main characters deserved too. And if I was forced to add another main character to the cast, I think it would be Faith instead that I would want for S5, if only one person could be afforded and made room for. These ideas have been discussed on the boards before, and I've always been kind of ambivalent about it and waffling, but it's an important point to consider.
Well we do get a bit of Faith in season 4, so yea it was a crowded season. Since Faith didn't return for season 5 I would have preferred Gwen over Nina. I also like the actress that plays Gwen, Alexa Davalos, she's on Amazon's The Man in The High Castle, which I need to continue watching some day. I just think Gwen was more interesting, than Nina, or even Bethany, and I actually liked Bethany.

Top Bottom