• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

If Angel had told Kate he was a vampire from the start

Joshua

Huge Spuffy Fan!
If Angel had told Kate that he was a vampire in "Lonely Hearts" would she had accepted him still?

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
I'm not sure she was ready for it. I think that she needed to see proof from outside sources first, and have some kind of trust in Angel. It still didn't work out all that well, but he did save her life.

AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
[No message]

HisMrs

The Walking BED
Sineya
I don't think Kate was ready to find out about vampires and all that stuff at that point. I agree with [MENTION=10354]VisionGirl[/MENTION]; she had to see it for herself to realize what vampires were and why Angel wasn't your typical vampire.

AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
[No message]

Baggierae

Townie
If Angel had told Kate in their initial meetings that he was a vampire she would have thought he was insane. She didn't want to accept it in Somnambulist when she'd had the proof of her own eyes. Even in Buffy he didn't actually tell anyone - when Buffy realised she told the others. So I don't think anything would have been easier if Kate had been told from the start.

AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
[No message]

white avenger

white avenger
No, no one would have. I did find it a shame than Angel and her didn't end up together though.
In most of the classic private detective novels movies from Philip Marlow to Mike Hammer, the hero has two indispensable things: a female assistant and/or girlfriend, and a Police Department contact to supply him with inside information on his cases. I honestly thought at the beginning that Kate was going to fill both slots, and possibly that was Joss' original plan, but Kate just never seemed to be that popular with the fans.

Blaze
Blaze
Which is a shame, I loved Kate

Mr Trick

Scooby
In most of the classic private detective novels movies from Philip Marlow to Mike Hammer, the hero has two indispensable things: a female assistant and/or girlfriend, and a Police Department contact to supply him with inside information on his cases. I honestly thought at the beginning that Kate was going to fill both slots, and possibly that was Joss' original plan, but Kate just never seemed to be that popular with the fans.
Will take you're word on that as I don't know enough about the ins and outs of that genre (although I thought I did;)). Am surprised that Angel didn't end up with somebody (within the teleivision universe), but then for all I know he might have. I might have been reading too much into that romantic link anyway, certainly at best it seemed to be played as a friendship, and contact for information.

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
Ah, I love Kate. I don't think it would have been the wisest to come out to her right away. Kate needed to experience for herself the implications of being a vampire, and why Angel was a good guy. The only thing that saddens me is how they dropped her character. I loved where the storyline was going. And I think they were finally at that good place where Angel and Kate could be friends. I wouldn't have wanted them together though, I think they had more potentials to explore a friendship here. Which is always underrated in shows.

Fuffy Baith
Fuffy Baith
Yea I didn't like how we just stop seeing her again, with no real explanation. Can't fault the actress for wanting a bigger role though. sigh.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Ah, I love Kate. I don't think it would have been the wisest to come out to her right away. Kate needed to experience for herself the implications of being a vampire, and why Angel was a good guy. The only thing that saddens me is how they dropped her character. I loved where the storyline was going. And I think they were finally at that good place where Angel and Kate could be friends. I wouldn't have wanted them together though, I think they had more potentials to explore a friendship here. Which is always underrated in shows.
Agreed, and that is one of the major themes of both Angel and Buffy, the importance of friendship. I do think they could have done a bit more with her character rather than just drop her out of the blue.

janas

Bangel in the soul
If I remember correctly, the original plan for Kate was that she had to be a drug-addicted undercover cop.
Originally, the "Lonely Hearts" title was to be "Corrupt" and it was a much more darker episode that just talked about the prostitution.

David Fury commented:

"And along those lines the second episode that I'd written called 'Corrupt' - it was pretty much about junkie prostitutes. Not usually what you see on the WB. And Kate, the police woman character on the show... originally was an undercover cop who was addicted to cocaine and was sleeping with men for money, because she got a little bit too far into her undercover work.

Corrupt (Angel)

Last edited:
thrasherpix
thrasherpix
I have mixed feelings about this...part of me LOVES this darker alternative, but the other part thinks they'd mess it up (and what follows) somehow...but it sounds awesome to me.

bespangeled

Scooby
Black Thorn
Kate just seemed to be the designated Buffy substitute. I know a lot of people disagree, but I far prefer the slow growth of Cangel to throwing another short blonde who likes to fight for the light at him.

Mr Trick

Scooby
I guess the sort of thing which happened with that episode was always more likely to happen when a show is just starting than when it is more establish. Not sure if that idea would have worked or not, but it show would have been interesting to see.

I don't see Kate as a Buffy cast-off, but then it seems like Angel, like Buffy is destyed to end up with a demon type, or someone with special powers who has more in common with him. That is why I wouldn't of minded something happening with Kate as it would have been good to have seen him in a normal relationship.

Reactions: Ann

Ann

Nee chatwuann Bangelite
No, no one would have. I did find it a shame than Angel and her didn't end up together though.
I thought there was definitely something to build on with Angel and Kate. found it sad that they were not really given a chance and how they ended it. I think Kate would have come around eventually.

Ann

Nee chatwuann Bangelite
I never saw Kate as another Buffy and the only similarities were that both women were blonde and could take care of themselves. The differences outweigh the similarities in looks, jobs, and what they did.

Mr Trick

Scooby
I never saw Kate as another Buffy and the only similarities were that both women were blonde and could take care of themselves. The differences outweigh the similarities in looks, jobs, and what they did.
I think the episode that opens with Kate chasing the crook and then karating kicking him does make her look like a Buffy 2.0. It may have been the writers idea of a joke. That there weren't much linking them doesn't matter. The writers set Kate up as a love interest for Angel, she works for the law, kicks butt, has blonde hair, and there are tensions between her and Angel. That's all you need. The writing was hardly subtle.

crazysoulless

Scooby
Kate lives in LA, Buffy's hometown where she was born, raised, lived 16+ years, and was called as the Slayer

Kate was a homicide detective, Buffy's career aptitude test said she should look into a career in law enforcement and she does what Angel did with AI but didn't turn it into a money making business

Kate had a disappointing father (wanted him to be proud, he was shady), same with Buffy's father Hank (who at that time still lived in LA)

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
While I find it silly that cops, especially homicide cops, have no idea the Supernatural exists, saying he’s a vampire isn’t going to help him in a world that doesn’t believe in them. So no.

LilahFan

Townie
Probably not, but I think things might have been a bit different if he could have saved her father. Helping her father change his ways to do better by his daughter would have been nice to see.

I don't think they should have been a couple though but I do think she'd have been a great addition to Angel's Team.

Octavia
Octavia
I like your banner
Top Bottom