• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

If Angelus Had Gotten The Chip

white avenger

white avenger
(I thought that there already was a thread about this sometime in the past, but I can't find it, so...)

If somehow the Initiative had come to Sunnydale during Season 2 when Angelus was around and chipped him instead of Spike, how do you think that he would have been able to handle it, and how would it have changed his evil plans?

RachM

I'm busy. I'm brooding.
Oh man, Angelus would not go gentle. Spike kind of gives into the chip, especially once he realises that he can hit demons, and therefore has a vent for his violent urges. Angelus would still need to exert control and power over others, and so he would probably just up his psychological games and figure out a way to physically torture people without hurting himself (for instance, having Drusilla do the hands-on work while he watched). He'd probably beat up Spike more, because he'd need an outlet for his violence.

Oromous

Socially Awkward
Sineya
Oh man, Angelus would not go gentle. Spike kind of gives into the chip, especially once he realises that he can hit demons, and therefore has a vent for his violent urges. Angelus would still need to exert control and power over others, and so he would probably just up his psychological games and figure out a way to physically torture people without hurting himself (for instance, having Drusilla do the hands-on work while he watched). He'd probably beat up Spike more, because he'd need an outlet for his violence.
Yeah, I agree.

Much as I have my problems with Spike, he's never really the sadistic monster Angelus was. As someone else put it, "Spike is just looking for a good time, seeing the whole world as a place to party all night long." Angelus enjoys his kills and lives for it. And as Rach has said, Angelus' main weapon of choice is psychological mind games; putting restraints on him won't work. He's not a blunt instrument like Spike; he can toy with your mind using other means and other proxies like Dru.

Angel6

Potential
This is a great question. (Assuming they didn’t have the ability to curse him) I think we may have seen a faux team up like Spike in season 4, but Angelus would be scheming against them to a whole different level and playing them off against each other with far more severe consequences, leaving Buffy totally isolated. I also feel that Angelus would be able to position himself into the position of a leader of a gang of Demons/Vamps on reputation alone (maybe one would laugh at him and say your can’t even touch a human’ ‘well I can still kill you’ and he would make an example of them). I’m kind of riffing off other people’s ideas for how they could’ve made Spike more impactful and replace Adam as the big bad in S4 here.

Myheadsgonenumb

Potential
Yeah - I agree he would have upped his psychological torture. Because it's not about violence for him, it's about pain - but not only would he have kept on with the creepy notes, I think he would have sought out inventive ways to still kill people. Like, he can't bite anyone - but could he poison someone's drink? He might get the headache - but he could probably force himself to act through the pain for just the second it would take. And then he would be able to watch the pain and distress - which is what matters to him - without the chip firing at all. Can he use magic to harm people? How much does the chip recognise - is it intent or just violence? Does it have to be violent intent - can it recognise evil intent? Spike can't point a gun at a person, but can the chip recognise poison, or magic? And these are things that can be used when the recipient is no where around, if there are no humans present, will the chip fire if he is doing something that will cause harm? Could he set someone's house on fire? He would spend a lot of time working out the parameters of what the chip still allowed him to do, and - being so inventive - the things he would think to try would be pretty horrifying and probably nothing the Initiative would ever think of - so he would discover loopholes that Spike did not.
I'm writing a story where Angel got captured by the initiative during 'pangs' and is being held prisoner and has been chipped- though he doesn't know it yet. Should I ever get round to finishing it, I fully intend to write a sequel where Wolfram and Hart remove the newly chipped Angel's soul and Angelus has to find ways around the chip to still get his rocks off.

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
I don't think Angelius would have liked it . From what I remember Spike could hurt Buffy because the chip sensed that Buffy
was no longer human . As such it very smart & I have the feelin that the chip would have kept him from doing a lot of things
& even if he could work around it knowing that he cant fight humans would have really hurt him .

For example Buffy starts fighting him & he has to run away since he cant fight her & that would drive him crazy .
And lets not forget that Spike took a long time to find out he could hurt Demons .

What could be more is if the chip was set up to make the creature do what was told to them by a person .
And if it didn't then it shock it until they started doing it .

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
It would depend on before or after the killing of Jenny, however I do think he would definitely still torture buffy with mind games.
He could burn down Joyce's art gallery, there would be no people in the building but it would take out Joyce's income.
The killing of Willows fish, the drawings would all still happen.
He wouldn't let the Scoobies know about the chip either, unlike Spike, so he could still taunt Buffy like in Killed by Death, just staying out of her reach.

Top Bottom