• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

If Dawn was bitten, would she turn?

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
I would think so, Buffy says it's her blood so I think if Buffy could be turned then Dawn could be too

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
so I think if Buffy could be turned
Could Buffy be turned? I posit with the demon blood in her she couldn't. Demon and demon seem incompatible. I would think key and demon would be incompatible too... but in the finale season they forgot Dawn was the key and she was just a normal sister so yeah, I assume she could be turned.

one eyed chicklet
one eyed chicklet
In the comics Slaypires are a thing, but if you don’t count those it isn’t really mentioned.
Ethan Reigns
Ethan Reigns
Legend has it that Sunday was a slayer who had been sired.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
I don't really put much faith in fannon or the fomics. There's nothing to indicate Sunday was a slayer.

nightshade

Staff member
Black Thorn
There's also nothing to say slayers can't be vampires, Buffy did become one in Nightmares and Giles didn't tell her that it couldn't happen

nightshade

Staff member
Black Thorn
But as the Key, does Dawn have a soul? Can you be turned without one?
I think it would be easier to be turned without a soul, thinking of the boy in that Angel episode, he would transition easily to a vampire, we saw Spike post turning and he still had family bonds, as did Liam with his father, the soulless child had no care for his family already.

Taake

That's right, I'm watching you...
Staff member
Black Thorn
Oh man, does Dawn even have a soul? I've never really thought about that. I mean, I guess the monks could conjure up souls... or did they summon one already in existence?

I would say that since Dawn has human form and human blood, she can presumably be turned into a vampire - soul or no soul.
However, it would be way cooler if she, since the comics have her fading out of existence without magic (no?) couldn't be turned into a vampire because she's not a true human being. (If magic is what sustains her in this world, she is human only in form, not in essence).

Weird crossover question maybe, but could Sookie Stakhouse be turned?
Being part fairy made her blood more delicious if memory serves me, but did this other magical essence hinder vampirism? Or maybe they never pondered that

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
There's also nothing to say slayers can't be vampires
Except it was never mentioned. Through all of the history the Watcher's Council had - they even knew Angel had a soul - there was never mention of a Slayer vampire.

white avenger

white avenger
As I recall, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, Dawn was originally described as "the Key made flesh," or something to that effect, which would imply, if not directly state, that Dawn is completely human, and would thus be as readily turned as any other human. In order to release the Power of the Key, Glory would have needed to kill Dawn's living body, which is why she was on top of that tower in the first place.

As for Buffy being turned, I always saw it as that what gave her her Slayer powers actually transferred from the Slayer, at her death, into the body of the next most eligible Potential. By that logic, Vampire Buffy would be no more special or powerful than any other normal human. Buffy activating all of the Potentials in "Chosen" blew that theory out of the water, and I believe that there was a Slayer turned in one of the comics, and she became something of a super vampire, so the second of my theory was also proving wrong. Therefore, according to combined TV and comic book canon, a Slayer can be turned and retain her powers, enhanced further by the vampiric possession. So I guess I'll have to come up with some sort of new Slayer theory.

Buffy Summers
Buffy Summers
Good points :)
r2dh2
r2dh2
I haven't read the comics, but beyond the Slayer powers, what's the deal with the soul? I mean, do the Slayers retain their calling and/or soul after turning? Is it a William/Spike or a Liam/Angel/Angelous situation? Doesn't the demon prevail?

Faith 2019

Woman verses Woman
As I recall, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, Dawn was originally described as "the Key made flesh," or something to that effect, which would imply, if not directly state, that Dawn is completely human, and would thus be as readily turned as any other human. In order to release the Power of the Key, Glory would have needed to kill Dawn's living body, which is why she was on top of that tower in the first place.

As for Buffy being turned, I always saw it as that what gave her her Slayer powers actually transferred from the Slayer, at her death, into the body of the next most eligible Potential. By that logic, Vampire Buffy would be no more special or powerful than any other normal human. Buffy activating all of the Potentials in "Chosen" blew that theory out of the water, and I believe that there was a Slayer turned in one of the comics, and she became something of a super vampire, so the second of my theory was also proving wrong. Therefore, according to combined TV and comic book canon, a Slayer can be turned and retain her powers, enhanced further by the vampiric possession. So I guess I'll have to come up with some sort of new Slayer theory.
Come up with some sort of new Slayer theory, interesting, have you watched the Twilight Saga. They have Native Americans that turn into wolves, so you could say, they are Slayers. Maybe Buffy and Faith could turn into wolves and run around the woods in Northern California.

white avenger

white avenger
Come up with some sort of new Slayer theory, interesting, have you watched the Twilight Saga. They have Native Americans that turn into wolves, so you could say, they are Slayers. Maybe Buffy and Faith could turn into wolves and run around the woods in Northern California.
Nothing new about that. They just get hold of Dracula's spell from Season 8, then it's wolves, bats, mist, and they always come back after supposedly being killed. I prefer something more outlandish, like, maybe the Shadow Men were really aliens from another galaxy who accidentally released a virus that mutated humans into assorted human/animal hybrids, and they created an army of humans with enhanced powers to fight the new menace. Unfortunately, they forgot to take into consideration the radiation from our yellow sun, which became lethal to the new soldiers. A side effect of the process (we'll call it a "super soldier serum," was the inability to ingest anything but hemoglobin and a gradually developing mass insanity that led to mass homicidal tendencies. In an attempt to right the mistake that they set loose on the human race, they managed, with the last bit of their dwindling resources and technology, to create one genetic mutant female (testosterone destroys the mutation, so it only works on females) with powers similar to the vampire troops. Fearing a repeat of the vampire super soldier disaster, they modified the genetic mutation so that, under ideal conditions, no more than one girl in all the world could be active at any one.

See? Outlandish, but still fitting within the general boundaries of the Buffyverse canon. Sort of.

I'll come up with something. It'll just take me awhile to whip out the details.

thrasherpix

Scooby
To me, Dawn was able to invite a vampire into the Summers home so she has a soul (living human being).

It makes sense to me as well, at least in trying to make sense of the monk's actions (like why not turn her into asphalt or a tree or some such). Souls are easy enough to gather that even a relatively beginner witch can do it, and I bet a soul is the perfect thing to hide the Key in so that it's not directly visible or trackable by normal magical means (and whatever senses Glory has), making it a needle in a haystack.

As for if she can turn...I'd presume so, though if she evaporates (even from the memories of others) when she dies then no. I can't help but think that Buffy sacrificing herself for Dawn gave her an actual existence, however...it just seems to be the way magic works there, a life for a life, a soul for a soul (and may even contribute to why Buffy "came back wrong" according to the chip because a piece of her soul had gone into Dawn...though how one would measure a soul is beyond me). In that case, then yes, she can be turned into a vampire.

one eyed chicklet
one eyed chicklet
Oh I forgot that she invited Harmony in. Yeah it would make sense that she could be turned.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Except it was never mentioned. Through all of the history the Watcher's Council had - they even knew Angel had a soul - there was never mention of a Slayer vampire.
The WC might not want any record of a "fallen" slayer. They sent in their "special taskforce" to deal with Faith so it's possible there would've been no record of her if she had been killed. The WC like to present themselves as a force of good, having a slayer turned into a vampire or having a murderous slayer on their hands makes them look bad so they choose to erase them from history.

O
OliAnn
Good points.

Faith 2019

Woman verses Woman
Yes I think she would. And I think she has/is a soul.
What is the essence with Dawn Summers? She has a body, with a head on top of the body, with two arms and two legs -- her essence is human. Looking at her, she has small developed breasts, her essence is female. So, she must be a human female. Vampires by their nature eat humans or change humans to become vampires. Since Dawn Summers is a human, and meets the nature of a vampire, therefore she can be changed.

Top Bottom