• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

If Spike had been killed off would you have kept watching ?

Would you have kept watching if Spike had been killed off

• Nope, no Spike no me

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Hell Yes I watch for Buffy not for Spike

Votes: 42 91.3%

• Total voters

Btvs fan

Scooby
OK so Spike was a popular character and back when show was airing it was common for people to say they only watched for Spike. He was brought over to Angel for that very reason.

So here's a hypothetical question to test that . If Spike had left or been killed in S5 or S6 would you have still kept watching the show or not have bothered ?

Speaking for myself, I would've kept watching but been less enthused about it. I liked Buffy herself but she seemed to be in a holding pattern for much of it and SMG seemed to be getting more and more bored with the role.
Willow was ruined after the whole magic is drugs debacle and the writers just ignoring her responsibility in her mind rape of Tara. Dark Willow should definitely have started sooner and been longer.
Xander they seemed to run out if stuff for him post S3 .
I had no interest Dawn who to me was just the shows Scrappy Doo.
Anya was a fun but shallow character until Selfless and really just Selfless.
ASH left because he was bored of just being the English stereotype exposition guy.

I mean 95% post show discussions normally involve Spike or his relationship with Buffy or the AR or all 3. So it seeks to be all about Spike nowadays regardless.
So what are peoples thoughts 🤔

NothingVentured

Potential
Yes.

The reason most conversations revolve around Spike is that is what everything on boards pushes toward. There's a reason fans used to get kicked off boards.

TriBel

Scooby
Yes...I'd have kept watching but I wouldn't have returned to it. I think what Spike (and Spuffy) represents elevates the show to a level that really interests me - to a level that unsettles codes of representation in a more political, less playful, sense. "Spike’s ambiguity and his movement between the poles of good and evil, human and monstrous, upset the dichotomies on which modern Manichaean thinking rests."

ASH left because he was bored of just being the English stereotype exposition guy.
He was never just that. If that's what he thought then Tony Head is thicker than I ever imagined him to be (and I always imagined him as quite astute). "Head stated during several interviews, when asked about his decision to leave the show, that his primary reason was to step away and focus on his own family, particularly his youngest daughter." Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Why Anthony Stewart Head's Giles Left In Season 6 It coincides with the family (his wife) setting up a new business - one I think is still running today.
The reason most conversations revolve around Spike is that is what everything on boards pushes toward.
It's not just "fans"...it's also academia: "Spike’s character progression (or ‘arc’ as Whedon and his scriptwriters prefer) throughout Buffy the Vampire Slayer comes to represent the show’s key themes of angst and outsiderdom perhaps more fully than that of any other character...Not only does Spike express the marginality associated with the fictional vampire more generally (neither dead nor alive, a figure on the edges of humanity), he is an outcast in a fictional world that otherwise embraces marginal social identities, and in a show that speaks to and from the experience of outsiderdom. Shunned even by the Scoobies – themselves social outcasts – Spike suffers an extreme form of outsiderdom and marginality. This may partly explain the tremendous interest in this figure and the enormous fandom which surrounds him, for Spike’s character fully articulates that which makes Buffy the Vampire Slayer such a cult success – the experience of the outcast and the pain of liminality, of not belonging". SAGE Journals: Your gateway to world-class research journals

K
katmobile
You got way more likes than the Berk dissing you.

NothingVentured

Potential
Yes...I'd have kept watching but I wouldn't have returned to it. I think what Spike (and Spuffy) represents elevates the show to a level that really interests me - to a level that unsettles codes of representation in a more political, less playful, sense. "Spike’s ambiguity and his movement between the poles of good and evil, human and monstrous, upset the dichotomies on which modern Manichaean thinking rests."

He was never just that. If that's what he thought then Tony Head is thicker than I ever imagined him to be (and I always imagined him as quite astute). "Head stated during several interviews, when asked about his decision to leave the show, that his primary reason was to step away and focus on his own family, particularly his youngest daughter." Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Why Anthony Stewart Head's Giles Left In Season 6 It coincides with the family (his wife) setting up a new business - one I think is still running today.

It's not just "fans"...it's also academia: "Spike’s character progression (or ‘arc’ as Whedon and his scriptwriters prefer) throughout Buffy the Vampire Slayer comes to represent the show’s key themes of angst and outsiderdom perhaps more fully than that of any other character...Not only does Spike express the marginality associated with the fictional vampire more generally (neither dead nor alive, a figure on the edges of humanity), he is an outcast in a fictional world that otherwise embraces marginal social identities, and in a show that speaks to and from the experience of outsiderdom. Shunned even by the Scoobies – themselves social outcasts – Spike suffers an extreme form of outsiderdom and marginality. This may partly explain the tremendous interest in this figure and the enormous fandom which surrounds him, for Spike’s character fully articulates that which makes Buffy the Vampire Slayer such a cult success – the experience of the outcast and the pain of liminality, of not belonging". SAGE Journals: Your gateway to world-class research journals

And nonsense like that is why no one takes academics seriously anymore.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Of course because I was watching the show for more than just that one character in the first place. If I didn't like the Scoobies and Giles so much as characters then it would have been hard to stick with the show in the first place.

BTW just figured out @TriBel only likes Spike so much because he supports Man Utd! :p I bet in a modern reboot he would jump ship to the blue half of Manchester:D

Priceless
Priceless
In a reboot they'd make him a basketball fan

TriBel

Scooby
BTW just figured out @TriBel only likes Spike so much because he supports Man Utd! :p I bet in a modern reboot he would jump ship to the blue half of Manchester:D

Meh...ABU*. TBH, you could be right. 😄 I wouldn't mind him supporting the noisy neighbours but come on...this was the 90s. Everyone and his/her brother/sister was eating prawn sandwiches and supporting the Reds. :rolleyes: What interests me more (I'm sad) is the fact that Spike (if only by default) is associated with the urban - not just Manchester (for better or worse, the birthplace of the Industrial Revolution) but also Punk (an urban movement), while Giles is associated with the rural (Somerset/Wiltshire; prog rock..."Piper at the Gates of Dawn" type thing"). "Happy Meals on legs" has a nice resonance because Fast Food (Taylorism/Fordism/Scientific Management) has a direct line back to the Industrial Revolution. Does no-one ever connect Consumer Capitalism with actual consumption (it's a common metaphor...doesn't Chaplin use it in Modern Times)? I think S12 end with Digital Taylorism. Happy Meals/DMP/Meat that might be human? We're talking about Vampire Capitalism in the 2020s - Marx was making the analogy in the 1840/50s. It's not coincidence that S7 ends with references to consumer capitalism: "All those shops gone. The Gap, Starbucks, Toys "R" Us. Who will remember all those landmarks unless we tell the world about them?" This is why I think Spike's intriguing. Ramble over...

*You're only jealous 'cos no-one mentions Villa! 😛

Seriously, it's worth considering @Priceless 's remark "In a reboot they'd make him a basketball fan". Manchester's reinvented itself as a global city and United (I think) has (perhaps) lost its rootedness - its specificity. I don't know if a football reference would work now.

Taake

I do doodle. You too. You do doodle, too.
Staff member
Black Thorn
I don’t think any character death would’ve stopped me from watching (Buffy died after all) and I often feel that when a character is removed I get a sense of ”What are they gonna do now?” That keeps me watching.

That said, how they would’ve filled the gap of Spike would ultimately have decided if I kept watching or not. But the main draw was always Buffy’s journey.

I mean, I also watched Supernatural for 15 years even when they kept killing of favorites left and right, sure some came back, but still. If I like something I will generally keep watching even when I hate what they’re doing with the show, lol.

Mr Trick
Mr Trick
Well said.

Btvs fan

Scooby
Of course because I was watching the show for more than just that one character in the first place. If I didn't like the Scoobies and Giles so much as characters then it would have been hard to stick with the show in the first place.

Uniteds real rivals have always been Liverpool. I've been to United games and you'll get songs like "if you all hate the scoucers clap your hands, if you all hate the soucers, if you all hate the scoucers clap you hand"

Meh...ABU*. TBH, you could be right. 😄 I wouldn't mind him supporting the noisy neighbours but come on...this was the 90s. Everyone and his/her brother/sister was eating prawn sandwiches and supporting the Reds. :rolleyes: What interests me more (I'm sad) is the fact that Spike (if only by default) is associated with the urban - not just Manchester (for better or worse, the birthplace of the Industrial Revolution) but also Punk (an urban movement), while Giles is associated with the rural (Somerset/Wiltshire; prog rock..."Piper at the Gates of Dawn" type thing"). "Happy Meals on legs" has a nice resonance because Fast Food (Taylorism/Fordism/Scientific Management) has a direct line back to the Industrial Revolution. Does no-one ever connect Consumer Capitalism with actual consumption (it's a common metaphor...doesn't Chaplin use it in Modern Times)? I think S12 end with Digital Taylorism. Happy Meals/DMP/Meat that might be human? We're talking about Vampire Capitalism in the 2020s - Marx was making the analogy in the 1840/50s. It's not coincidence that S7 ends with references to consumer capitalism: "All those shops gone. The Gap, Starbucks, Toys "R" Us. Who will remember all those landmarks unless we tell the world about them?" This is why I think Spike's intriguing. Ramble over...

*You're only jealous 'cos no-one mentions Villa! 😛

Seriously, it's worth considering @Priceless 's remark "In a reboot they'd make him a basketball fan". Manchester's reinvented itself as a global city and United (I think) has (perhaps) lost its rootedness - its specificity. I don't know if a football reference would work now.

Lol the Punk association was the most shallow of things. JM said he pointed out to Joss that Spike looks nothing like Sid and that he couldn't even play his instrument anyway. He said Joss didn't care

Priceless
Priceless
United's true rivals are LUFC
K
katmobile
Liverpool returns the compliment and how. I had a mate and brief bf who was a Scouser and Liverpool and Everton always hated Man U more than each other. The two cities are also rivals in ways that go beyond football.

Taake

I do doodle. You too. You do doodle, too.
Staff member
Black Thorn
And nonsense like that is why no one takes academics seriously anymore.

Rude and uncalled for, since this was quoted I will let this remain, but for future reference - post made only with the intention to be rude to other members will be removed.

They do not contribute to discussion and have no place on these boards.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Uniteds real rivals have always been Liverpool. I've been to United games and you'll get songs like "if you all hate the scoucers clap your hands, if you all hate the soucers, if you all hate the scoucers clap you hand"

For a long time yes, but that was because they were so many millions of miles ahead of City. I think it might be different now. Its the same as if Everton suddenly had a big boast became a top club Liverpool fans might treat that derby as bigger than the matches against Utd.

Lol the Punk association was the most shallow of things. JM said he pointed out to Joss that Spike looks nothing like Sid and that he couldn't even play his instrument anyway. He said Joss didn't care

Does that really matter? Its fiction. The fact is Masters looked the part and had the charisama to pull it off. I mean its not like people have a problem when a actor with no musical background plays a famous music star.

I voted for yes. Spike actually means very little to me and Spike/Buffy as a romantic pairing is one of my least favorites. That being said given the importance ultimately placed in the group (the Angel replacement in many ways) I don't know how they would fill the gap his death would have left.

CHK DeWilSon

A BAngel fan. Always.
'Abso -freeking- lutely!

He is one character that I would have gladly see the back of after series two. I get the charm and charisma that apparently he has in the bucket loads but his domination on screen time at the expense of other characters I prefer had me turn off him even more.

And I would feel this way about Angel too although of course I would miss him. The only character I certainly would not watch the show if they were gone would be the one and only Buffy minutes and the powers that be of the show had the same thought which is why it ended once SMG decided she didn't want to do it anymore.

And I'll LOUDLY say as I've said many, MANY times before ( and yes even knowing that the season was only done because of the character coming into the show), but I would love ATS series 5 so much more if he wasn't in it. I'd even put at with a Cangel romantic relationship 🤪 if I could be spared his presence!

Top Bottom