• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

If Spuffy broke up , could they be friends?

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
I think Buffy and Spike would have a much better times bing 'just friends' than Buffy and Angel would. So I would say yes, I think so.

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
I think Buffy and Spike would have a much better times bing 'just friends' than Buffy and Angel would. So I would say yes, I think so.
Yes I agree. I think Buffy and Spike had the friendship in Season 5 which was the only way that it went from enemies to romantic whereas Bangel couldn't be anything but romantic .

gnarl

Potential
Sineya
Spike has connections to other members of the Scooby gang that goes beyond his and Buffy's romantic relationship. He's developed a friendship with Xander and Dawn was the whole reason he came back to San Fransisco in season 9. I think the fact that their relationship isn't Spike's only connection to the group would make it easier for them to be friends.

white avenger

white avenger
If him being Buffy's friend was what Spike thought would be the best that he could get and still be with her, then, yes, he would be her friend. What's more, he would be the best, most loyal friend that she ever had. Spike has no shame when it comes to Buffy. Whatever she wants him to be, that's what he's prepared to be.

Pathetic, I know, but that's our Spike.

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
If him being Buffy's friend was what Spike thought would be the best that he could get and still be with her, then, yes, he would be her friend. What's more, he would be the best, most loyal friend that she ever had. Spike has no shame when it comes to Buffy. Whatever she wants him to be, that's what he's prepared to be.

Pathetic, I know, but that's our Spike.
I love Spike's loyalty to Buffy. He'll be any kind of guy for her& it's one of the things that attracts me to Spike and Spuffy. Also if Buffy ever truly went evil, I think Spike has grown enough to get her out of it & the darkness.
But I do agree he would be her friend.

Fool for Buffy

I'm just being a big nerd again
Sineya
See this is the thing that I don't like. I want Spike to be an equal partner in the relationship. I don't like when he's made to seem that he'll take whatever he can get.
I completely agree. But I also think they are equals now in season 11.

debbicles

Music is what makes life amazing
I think S11 shows that Spike is now more his own man and has his own identity within the group, which has been growing for some time - ha look at me, a few months ago I had no idea the comics even existed - but I think he and Buffy make a wonderful loving and supportive partnership. Having said that, if they did decide to go their separate ways, please please not, I think Spike would offer her his friendship and unconditional support no matter what.

white avenger

white avenger
See this is the thing that I don't like. I want Spike to be an equal partner in the relationship. I don't like when he's made to seem that he'll take whatever he can get.
I think that it's more like Bucky Barnes' statement to Steve Rogers when he said, "I'm with you to the end of the line, pal." Sure, he recognizes that Cap is the leader, and he'll follow him straight into the gates of Hell, and be thankful for the privilege. That doesn't automatically make Bucky any less his own man, it just makes him a very loyal friend.

debbicles

Music is what makes life amazing
I think they are capable of being friends because there is and always has been more depth and complexity to their relationship than just the so-called romantic love elements. In the comics doesn't Spike at one point refer to Buffy as his hero? There's a lot of reciprocity between them.
And White avenger - that sounds vaguely familiar but it surely won't be from the ancient and creaky tv show? Would it be?

Priceless

Scooby
Well they broke up in Season 12 and appear to be very good friends. Though I don't think Spike would hang around forever if he thought they'd only be friends, as I think it would be too painful for him. I think it would be hard for both of them to see the other with someone new, especially if that new relationship became serious. For me there is a sense of destiny and inevitability about the two of them being together. You have to applaud the writers for giving Buffy two vampire lovers and imbuing both of them with a sense of destiny/inevitability.

TriBel

Scooby
You have to applaud the writers for giving Buffy two vampire lovers and imbuing both of them with a sense of destiny/inevitability.
No I don't! 🙄 Seriously, it's an interesting comment...correct me on this if I'm wrong. Buffy/Angel is tied up with written prophecy? So...in theory, it's operating at the level of the symbolic, of conscious. Buffy/Spike isn't...but when I look at unconscious structures of both couples, it's Spike and Buffy who're inevitable. To bring it back to the OP - try as they might, I'm not sure whether they could remain just as friends...I think they're unconsciously destined to be more. Whether they recognize this themselves is questionable. From this perspective...yeah, I'll applaud the writers! It's this that gives me hope for S12...but I don't want to think about S12.

Top Bottom