• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Question If Tara Lived?

nightshade

Headless chicken
Staff member
Black Thorn
If Tara had lived and she and Willow had got back together for the rest of season 6, how would season 7 been for her? What progress would her character have made, and how would she have dealt with Kennedy!?

J
joseph
if Tara lived well never watched season 7 so do not know what happened but I believe they would have had a Willlow & Tara would have a family, by now.

Lyri

Buckle Up Tight
Sineya
Kennedy - as she was in S7, chasing after Willow and her OTT flirting - would not have existed. Kennedy was created for the specific reason of making sure that one of the core four would have been in a committed relationship when the credits rolled, according to Joss. He already knew that Spike and Anya were going to die and he knew that Amber Benson wasn't going to be able to return, as he had planned, and so Kennedy was created for Willow to fall for.

Honestly, I think a lot would have had to have been changed for Willow in S7 if Tara had lived, and thus, Buffy as well. Without Tara's death, there would have been no Dark!Willow, and so there would have been no reason for Willow to be so scared of her powers in S7. The spell with the Potentials might have still gone ahead, but there would have been nothing for Willow to fear. CWDP wouldn't have worked either, because there was no one to whom Willow was really close to for the First to appear as or pretending to speak for, like they did with Cassie. Robia What's-her-Name wouldn't have done it, because of her new-found faith. She regretted agreeing to be The First in S3 after she found out exactly who and what the character was.

Personally, I wish that Joss' original idea for bringing back Tara had worked out, it's just such a shame that Amber Benson wasn't available to work when they were filming the last eps of the season.

Blaze
Blaze
I never knew that about Robia Lamorte, very interesting. Agreed with the rest also!
Evil Angelus 95
Evil Angelus 95
[No message]

Evil Angelus 95

Total Dork
Sineya
I think that Willow still would have struggled with her Magick abilities, but it wouldn't have been on the same scale that it had been in the official canon. Tara would have been a way to keep her grounded and calm, much like she always did with Willow. Notice how lost Willow was around the time of "Touch Love" in Season 5 and the episodes before she managed to restore Tara's sanity? She's so used to having Tara there to help that not having her around suddenly made her basically seem lost.

I agree with [MENTION=6332]Lyri[/MENTION] about CWDP. Granted, we could have still had the First visiting Dawn and Buffy, but the episode as a whole wouldn't have worked.

I still entirely hold to the fact that killing Tara off in "Seeing Red" just to push Willow off the edge was un-necessary. There are a multitude of ways that Willow could have gone Dark without Tara dying.

brooke2707

Townie
I think Tara dying was, as much as it pains me to say, necessary. Dark Willow would not have existed without this happening. She had gone bad a little earlier that season with the whole Rack storyline. And that was just when Tara left her.. so for Tara to be taken from her it really pushed her over the edge.

If she hadnt have gone, i dont really know what direction the rest of the show would have taken..and Willow in Season 7 would have had to dramatically change..

What would Tara have done in Chosen?

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
Having Tara there would have been much better than what we got. Joss wanted to have one of the Scoobie be happy and in a relationship by the end, and as much as I like Kennedy, that would have only really been achieved by having Tara there. I think they should still have killed Tara off as to not change the storyline, but they should have brought Tara back about 4-5 episode before the finale. I know they were going to bring her back and couldn't because of Amber Benson's work, but I'll never really forgive Joss for not making this happen in some way. Because I can live with Tara dying, but it's very hard to live knowing that she could have been brought back to life, meaning she would have still been a part of the Buffyverse, the comic, and any hypothetical future, now instead there is absolutely 0 future for the character.

Wesley Pryce
Wesley Pryce
[No message]

Xin Rong

Killed by Dissertation
Without Tara dying Willow wouldn't have been powerful enough to do the final activation spell... so her death was a necessary death, but it is a real shame that Tara couldn't return in season 7... although I think if she had then it would have been a little silly... after all that trial thing that Spike went through did not seem overly difficult for people like Spike/Buffy/Faith/Angel, which means we could have seen them going through that trial every time someone they love dies... also would it really be believable for Buffy (particularly in season 7) to waste a wish on something that altruistic?

If anything she would have brought her mother back, although I suppose out of all of the characters who have died on the show, Tara was the only one who could have been some help in the battle, even if that help was only minimal.

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
although I think if she had then it would have been a little silly... after all that trial thing that Spike went through did not seem overly difficult for people like Spike/Buffy/Faith/Angel, which means we could have seen them going through that trial every time someone they love dies... also would it really be believable for Buffy (particularly in season 7) to waste a wish on something that altruistic?

If anything she would have brought her mother back, although I suppose out of all of the characters who have died on the show, Tara was the only one who could have been some help in the battle, even if that help was only minimal.
I was under the impression that Buffy wouldn't get the gift from such a trial? I'm not sure thought, I can't remember how they planned it out.

I absolutely think that Buffy would have made such a wish though. The difference with Tara is that she was taking away so abruptly, Buffy knows that it was time for her mother to go (even if she was young, it was of natural cause). Tara should have never died. By season 7, I don't think there are whole lot of things Buffy really cares about. She even rejects both of her vampires as lover, and I can't think of anything that she'd really want for herself. Bringing back to one thing that her best friend loved the most makes sense.

Xin Rong

Killed by Dissertation
I was under the impression that Buffy wouldn't get the gift from such a trial? I'm not sure thought, I can't remember how they planned it out.

I absolutely think that Buffy would have made such a wish though. The difference with Tara is that she was taking away so abruptly, Buffy knows that it was time for her mother to go (even if she was young, it was of natural cause). Tara should have never died. By season 7, I don't think there are whole lot of things Buffy really cares about. She even rejects both of her vampires as lover, and I can't think of anything that she'd really want for herself. Bringing back to one thing that her best friend loved the most makes sense.
My understanding was that Buffy would complete the trial but be refused what she initially wanted so went with the tara thing, but I'm likely wrong?

Not when you consider who Buffy loves the most, which are supposed to believe is Dawn, and who would Dawn want back? ... actually who would Dawn want back, Tara or Joyce, that would be a toughy, maybe your right then

Himiko

Potential
I have a very hard time believing that Buffy, of all people, would have wished Tara back to life. Whether you enjoyed S6 or not, the misery Buffy experienced being pulled out of a heavenly afterlife, back into the real world is a major part of it. It drives her to tremendous depression and darkness. There's no way that she would wish that on anyone else, so the only reason that she would wish it was if she thought that Tara was in some sort of Hell. Now, Tara died a normal, if violent death, there were no demon portals, etc. involved, so the excuse that Willow and co. had for bringing her back isn't an issue. And if Tara has one defining quality, it's pretty much "being nice". Why on Earth would Buffy believe that? And if she doesn't, then she'd really just be bringing Tara back for Willow's benefit, not Tara's.

Honestly, I've heard about this failed plot idea before, and I was really glad it didn't happen, not because I didn't like Tara, but because it doesn't fit in at all with the previous season.

However, if Tara had never died in the first place, that's an interesting question. I think that Willow would have stayed off the magics for longer (unless someone like Buffy or Xander was killed in Tara's place), since she would have had Tara around to help her. However, I think the S6 finale and S7 are meant to show that that power is inside Willow now, she can't get rid of it just by ignoring it, and the one good thing about Dark Willow is that it forces her to realise how powerful she is, and how much she needs to control her power rather than hiding from it. Without that, I wonder whether she would eventually have slipped back into using magic as she was before, or something similar. I'm not sure that their relationship would survive Willow meddling with Tara's mind or abusing magic again. Even if it didn't, though, I think Tara would definitely have stayed part of the gang and help with the final battle- she's close to Dawn, S6 shows her getting closer to Buffy, and she seems to be good friends with Anya given that she is chosen as chief bridesmaid. I think perhaps she would have acted as something of a peacemaker, and perhaps been a bit more caring towards the potentials than Buffy was, which might have been something that they needed.

Ethan Reigns
Ethan Reigns
[No message]
Wesley Pryce
Wesley Pryce
[No message]

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
My understanding was that Buffy would complete the trial but be refused what she initially wanted so went with the tara thing, but I'm likely wrong?
That's pretty interesting, I had never heard of that but it's definitely a possibility, in which case you are right, it would have been a pretty poor plot idea. It completely goes against the whole "you can't just bring people back from the dead" idea, because it would be pretty easy to achieve through such trial.

[MENTION=10697]Himiko[/MENTION], when I picture the plot in my head, I always assume that Tara would be allowed to choose whether to come back or not, so that Buffy wouldn't make the decision for her as to if she wants to come back or stay in heaven. It's the only way that it would work with the whole s6 plot about being ripped out of heaven, because you are right, I don't think Buffy would do that to anyone.

Marisa

Liver Alone
I honestly don't know if there would have been much development for Tara. I always kind of saw Tara as Willow's girlfriend with an episode of her own actual development excluding Willow here and there. In my opinion I think it's great that she was killed off, not great but from a character standpoint. She got killed and it outraged us because she was the love of Willow's life and it made her a bit more interesting to me.

Now if she had lived I don't think there would have been so much development. Kennedy might not even have existed in the way she did with Willow.

Wesley Pryce

Angel Investigations
Black Thorn
There is one way it could work out without ever having to kill Tara..Kill Xander! If Warren had shot Xander instead of Tar then Willow,being such close friends with Xander and all,would have grieved heavily,hence "DARK WILLOW". As for CWDP,Xander could appear to Willow,and Tara could've helped Willow deal with her fears of magic rather than Giles. I think this would be best and could work great. In my opinion xanders character had progressed as much as it was probably going to anyway,but Tara i think had a lot of room left to progress and this would not change the overall story or character arcs much,if at all,for the following final season. :)

---------- Post added at 04:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 AM ----------

Thing is you would still have plenty of Xander in season 7 as the first. Finally for any who might doubt if Xander would be enough to drive Willow to evil just remember that Xander was Willow's best friend as was obviously demonstrated in the season finale of season 6,so she was clearly deeply emotionally attached and close to Xander,and a multiple episode arc could've been established to remind people of their deep friendship and their former romantic relationship. As for who saves the world with talking,well who better than the lovely Tara. :) :)

Purplemess317

Townie
There is one way it could work out without ever having to kill Tara..Kill Xander! If Warren had shot Xander instead of Tar then Willow,being such close friends with Xander and all,would have grieved heavily,hence "DARK WILLOW". As for CWDP,Xander could appear to Willow,and Tara could've helped Willow deal with her fears of magic rather than Giles. I think this would be best and could work great. In my opinion xanders character had progressed as much as it was probably going to anyway,but Tara i think had a lot of room left to progress and this would not change the overall story or character arcs much,if at all,for the following final season. :)

---------- Post added at 04:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 AM ----------

Thing is you would still have plenty of Xander in season 7 as the first. Finally for any who might doubt if Xander would be enough to drive Willow to evil just remember that Xander was Willow's best friend as was obviously demonstrated in the season finale of season 6,so she was clearly deeply emotionally attached and close to Xander,and a multiple episode arc could've been established to remind people of their deep friendship and their former romantic relationship. As for who saves the world with talking,well who better than the lovely Tara. :) :)

I soooo agree with this !!!!!!!

Scooby Corps

Fly! Be free, little bird, you defy category!
If we assume the writers had decided to keep Tara alive *and* keeping them a couple and Willow still would have had a similar development (not necessarily Dark Willow but learning to control her magic, owning her power, being confident with her power etc.) they would need to address Tara's rigid convictions based on her religious belief and make a progress to a moderate and chill attitude part of her arc. Kind of a secularization process to have a real life analogy. Otherwise, they would clash again and it wouldn't be entirely Willow's fault this time like it wasn't entirely Willow's fault the first time. I don't see them working out if Tara keeps trying to impose her authority over Willow because she's scared of the boogie man. That Willow would need to start doing magic again (for her own sake and for the fight against evil) is beyond dispute. Just imagine Tara and S07-11 Willow's use of magic. It's entirely incompatible with S04-06 Tara.

If Tara and Willow manage to work it out in time, I don't see Kennedy remotely standing a chance against Tara. If not, Kennedy could serve as a wedge which could be interesting, if well written, but probably would incur the scorn of big parts of fandom upon her (more than she already has for daaaaaring to speak up against Buffy or for being a bit more upfront).

Slayrunt

Oh ho! Aren’t you Mr. Dicey Semantics?
it would have been interesting to see Tara's reaction (if she did come back) to willow using the dark magiks to the extent she did. i mean yes its clear she would have been disappointed but i wonder if she would have understood or refused to ever forgive her.

sosa lola

Scooby

It would only work if we had more scenes with Xander and Willow together 'cause honestly these two stopped being close after S3. I just don't see Willow going dark for Xander.

Top Bottom