• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

If the Mayor knew Faith would be on the good side again.

spikenbuffy

"Hi honey, I'm home"
Staff member
If the Mayor knew Faith would be on the good side again in the future, do you think he would still love her & support her?

Faded90

Scooby
The same way The First Mayor did in Touched I expect. Being all ‘do you really think you can trust these people?’ ‘Buffy will only try to kill you eventually. Basically try to manipulate her away from ‘the good side’

Moggin

Tasty Townie
Hmm...the Mayor is a tricky one. Essentially, I feel he is using Faith and only comes to treat her well because she is the most useful to him. Faith, being desperate for some kind of deeper connection to someone is, I feel, the real driving force behind this relationship. However, that being said, the Mayor's actor, much like Spike's, was really really good at his job, and he walked a fine line between genuine affection and simply using a young girl. Simply because we do not get a longer story or redemption arc for him, I feel he liked being evil, was perfectly ok with it, and would have dispensed with Faith if she had ceased to be useful to him, thus breaking Faith's heart. Honestly, though it could have gone either way with him.

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
I don't think The Mayor is the sort to be outwardly spiteful, it doesn't go with his personality. The same way he gave Buffy relationship advice for no reason whatsoever I think The Mayor does have it in him to still show affection for Faith even if she betrayed him by going to the good side. I think at first The Mayor did just take advantage of the opportuniy with Faith but I think the grief he went through when Faith was stabbed and the fact he left the videotape showed that he had grown a genuine attachment to her.
I think The Mayor would pretend he's happy for Faith and then try and get her back with him.

katmobile

Scooby
Hmm...the Mayor is a tricky one. Essentially, I feel he is using Faith and only comes to treat her well because she is the most useful to him. Faith, being desperate for some kind of deeper connection to someone is, I feel, the real driving force behind this relationship. However, that being said, the Mayor's actor, much like Spike's, was really really good at his job, and he walked a fine line between genuine affection and simply using a young girl. Simply because we do not get a longer story or redemption arc for him, I feel he liked being evil, was perfectly ok with it, and would have dispensed with Faith if she had ceased to be useful to him, thus breaking Faith's heart. Honestly, though it could have gone either way with him.
It's complicated - I don't think you're wrong but I think it would have pained him to do it. You see with Graduation Day 2 he was genuinely upset by her suffering and in This Years Girl we see he took time before the Ascension to record a tape for her and find her a powerful artefact so he did think of her even if it was egotistical and manipulative to say without me you're effed. I think part of his patriachal nature made him desire to have children or pupils to be a mentor or father and Faith kinda forfills that need in him even with Mr Trick they banter. The mayor I think genuinely enjoys people's company on some level he just thinks he's superior and that he deserves the respect due to him and that humanity needs to be controlled and ruled. He's kind like Himmler who in spite of being evil was by all accounts a great dad. Ironically he did such a good job with his kids they all rejected his idealogy and his name recognising it for the poisonous shite it was.

Like with Spike it's not just a great acting that nuances the Mayor (although that certainly is a factor in both cases) but some pretty dope writing that gives him a lot to work with. Also like Spike a lot of my love for the character is that nuance that both give them. The best characters both heroes and villians are entities of a lot of different and sometimes contradictory traits and motivations - muh ha ha villiany has its place but the best characters are more than it.

Last edited:

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
It really depends on the timing I guess. In the beginning The Mayor obviously viewed Faith as a lackey, a replacement for Mr. Trick- he even vaguely threatens her by stating that she's easily replaceable. So anytime between this and...Choices? He would probably just do away with her; disappointed perhaps at the lost potential but the Mayor could be ruthless enough when it counted.

I think he was surprised that he started to care about her; but in Choices and Graduation Day he is kind towards her (more so than is warranted to secure her loyalty) and she seems very loyal to him. The affection between them is obvious and mutual. She has graduated from lackey to strong right hand.

At this point any future-knowledge about Faith would probably result in the Mayor simply being more overt in his manipulation of her; he would emphasize that Buffy and co. never cared about her and would probably imprison her is she faltered in her resolve, that the Watcher's council would then certainly have her murdered for not doing what they wanted.
The Mayor would play upon her cynical 'everyone is out for themselves and you can't ever trust them' just like he did in S7 when she was a bit more zen about such things, but I don't think, by that time, hew would harm her. He left her a tape to make sure she was okay after he was gone *weepy sniff*

But we see that in S7 The Mayor!First still loves her, even if she is on the side of good; he just manipulated her by mixing truth in with those lies. I mean, did anyone ever love her the way he did? Not really.

Top Bottom