1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

If they used Faith instead of Justine

Discussion in 'Season 3' started by Benz, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Benz

Benz Potential

I would rather if they used Faith in Holtz Storyline instead of Justine.

2. Monkey Pants

Monkey Pants Bored Now

Black Thorn
    I don't think that would make any sense. Why would Faith go against Angel at that point?

thetopher and vellavu like this.
  3. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    Entirely different motivations as I see it.
    Justine wanted simple vengeance against and Faith wanted acceptance and recognition. Faith felt self-loathing for her actions throughout the way Justine never did.

Justine turned father against son simply because Holtz told her too. She's a pretty toxic character.

4. Taake

Taake Bella Staff Member

Black Thorn
    Since Faith was a familiar character at that point I can see why some would want her there.

I don't think she fit that narrative though, partly because she had moved past that kind of villainy, but also because Justine had this relationship to Holtz that wouldn't have worked with Faith (we'd already seen her have a close bond to the Mayor. It seems unlikey she would bond so closely to another bad guy so soon, and if she had fans would have screamed rip-off from BtVS) and because Justine was a disposable character with almost no redeeming qualities or potential. Wesley could keep her in a closet without fans getting riled up because she was all villain/not team Angel. If he had done that with Faith there'd be a lot more complaints and tainting of Wes' character, because she was a more complex character thought of as an individual in a way Justine just wasn't.

However, I don't think it would have been impossible to make the narrative fit with Faith playing a similar role to Justine, but there would have had to be some changes, not in the least to Faith's own character.

Fuffy Baith likes this.
  5. VisionBoy

VisionBoy Scooby

Sineya
    Yeah like Taake says, you'd have to change the narrative... by season 3 Faith was pretty much Miss Sanity '02 compared to Justine.

Fuffy Baith likes this.
  6. Athena

Athena Belinda Staff Member

Black Thorn
    It'd be a disservice to Faith for her to be 'Justine'. Justine was such a throwaway character, Faith was always more than that. Yes, it might have warned the audience to 'Justine's' story by having it be Faith, but it wouldn't have made sense for that particular story to be Faith's.