• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

If Wesley was Buffy watcher form beginning instead of Giles ?.

Benz

Potential
Do you think Buffy and Wesley would become as close as Giles and Buffy?.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
Not a chance. The problem with Wesley is we see him as a bumbling idiot on Buffy and then there is this total disconnect where we see him as a badass on Angel. The transition would have been an interesting story, certainly more interesting than we got. Buffy would have had to deal with him as he was originally. Her irreverent attitude would not have gone over with Wesley and his authoritarian dogmatism would never be accepted by Buffy. This is an oil and water mix - Buffy would have abandoned Wesley after a few weeks.

FaithLehane16

"Tact is not saying true stuff. I'll pass."
Maybe. I'll never know. On one hand, he would be this obedient bumbling idiot, but on the other hand if he were to get his loyalties with individuals in the way of his work, he would probably be the way he was on Angel. It's hard saying. *shrug*

I think the trouble with Wesley being the original watcher is that Wesley, in his original incarnation, is incompetent. Giles might be stuffy and boring when he first appears - and he and Buffy may have little in common - but he knows his stuff and she learns to respect him straight away. Maybe because he is a bit older - or maybe because he didn't suffer the crippling abuse that Wesley did as a child - but Giles, in the beginning, is self assured enough to both acknowledge her respect and give it back. Even though they don't see eye to eye, he is comfortable enough in his position to relax the rules for Buffy, to allow her the leeway she craves - which stops her outright rebelling. He treats her as an individual human being and not as THE SLAYER - because that is what is required in her case. I don't think Wesley had that wisdom or confidence when he first arrived. He would have insisted on things being done his way, been a stickler for procedure and either pushed her away so she refused to slay completely (she was 'retired' already when she met Giles) or got her killed.

... so it would have been a much shorter show. Or they would have had to continue the story with Kendra.

(now I sort of want to see a version of Buffy that runs like Doctor Who. Just following each slayer until they get killed and then following the next one. With new companions with each new slayer.)

W

WillowFromBuffy

Yes, I think they would, but just like with Giles, there would also have been tension.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I think they would've had Wesley grow into his role as watcher as Buffy grew into her role of slayer. Wesley would initially follow the Watchers line of the slayer being a weapon but the more he got to know Buffy, the more he'd see her as a person. He would have a crisis of identity between following what he's been taught and doing what he feels is right.

Wesley could work as Buffy's watcher, but it would be a different dynamic to what she has with Giles. Whereas Giles is a father figure, Wesley would be considered more a friend.

FaithLehane16
FaithLehane16
Interesting thought.
K
katmobile
I don't see it I love Wes as a character but his fatal flaw has always been he thinks in binary. I think Angel would have ended up effectively being Buffy's watcher. She took up the call to help Willow. It would have gone to crap after his soul loss.

white avenger

white avenger
Look back at Giles in the first couple of episodes of Season 1, and he wasn't a whole of a lot more competent than Wesley was in Season 3. Okay, that's somewhat an exaggeration, but not too much of one. My point is, if Wesley had been Buffy's original Watcher in Season 1, he would have developed and matured just as readily as Giles did.

On the other hand, the ex-rogue demon hunter that we saw in the later Seasons of "Angel" would have made a truly awesome Watcher, and we would have seen a totally different Slayer than the sweet, idealistic Buffy that we all grew to know and love.

Just imagine, Season 4 "Angel" Wes as Buffy's Watcher in Season 3. Faith accidentally kills the Assistant Mayor, and what happens? Buffy and Faith call their Watcher, and he comes and helps them dispose of the body, then they all go to the Bronze for a cool (nonalcoholic) drink and a discussion on ways to better avoid collateral damage to bystanders in the future.

AlphaFoxtrot
AlphaFoxtrot
Seriously, he goes to a Funeral Home, by himself, at night to see if a dead body is really a vampire.
Look back at Giles in the first couple of episodes of Season 1, and he wasn't a whole of a lot more competent than Wesley was in Season 3. Okay, that's somewhat an exaggeration, but not too much of one. My point is, if Wesley had been Buffy's original Watcher in Season 1, he would have developed and matured just as readily as Giles did.
I think this depends on how you're answering the question. It can be interpreted in two ways 1) Could Alexis Denisof have originated the role in WTHM and how would things have been different? and 2) Could Wesley, as we meet him in BGs, ever establish a working relationship with WTHM era Buffy that would have resulted in her working as and developing as the slayer she becomes?

And two different questions will receive 2 different answers. Obviously, if they had introduced Wesley as the original watcher, they would have developed him and developed their relationship in a way that worked for the show. But that wouldn't be Wesley as he actually is - that would be Alexis Denisof playing a character called Wesley who is completely different to the one we get in the show. But the same could be said for any group of characters in any show in the world. If they are introduced at different times and given different developments then they will be able to achieve whatever it is the writers are aiming for. But crucially - they will now be different characters to the one that does appear in canon, even if played by the same actor and given the same name. A fictional character can do anything you want them to - especially when they come in as a blank slate at the very start of the show. This means that question 1 isn't a very interesting question because the answer is and always will be 'of course it would work out - they would just write it that way.'

Question 2, though, supposes that the Wesley we get is exactly the Wesley we meet in BGs and that Buffy is exactly the Buffy we meet in WTHM and could they ever have developed in a similar way to Giles and Buffy? It's a much more interesting question because it becomes about how the relationship between two people who never actually interact (BGs Buffy is a different person to WTHM Buffy) would actually get along - and removes the conceit of 'well the writers would do xy and z to make it work'. It's literally this is person A - this is person B - can they work together? That introduces a whole load of interesting variables - will Buffy got to Wesley when she discovers the body? Will Wesley turn up at the Bronze to speak to her - or will he be a stickler for expecting her to come to him? Can Wesley find the answers in time? Can they even stand being in the same room as each other? (Wesley trying to work with early Buffy makes me think about the trouble he has with Harmony when she comes to the Hyperion - Buffy's lack of reverence would grate on him the same way.) Would he accept Willow and Xander joining in? Would he be able to train her adequately? (early Wesley is king of the prattfalls - not conducive to getting a slayer up to fighting code.)

Buffy is almost unfailingly kind and fair, I think she would try and make it work. But I think early Wesley would rub her up the wrong way and I think he would see her as slayer first, Buffy second - and Buffy would come a long way behind the slayer. He would give her orders - like he tries to in BGs, but whereas BGs Buffy is mature and already has a secure relationship with Giles, she teases Wes about the orders - but she does what he tells her. WTHM era Buffy may just refuse point blank. BGs Wes sends Faith and Buffy out to get the amulet - and he has it timed exactly when he expects them back. Giles is worried they have got into trouble, Wes isn't, which suggests Wesley would not take the care of Buffy that she needs as she is just starting out. He would not accompany her or check up on her - he would just expect her to get the job done. And early Wesley is a coward (willing to tell Balthazar who has the amulet rather than lose his kneecaps) he would not go with Buffy to stop the Harvest - he would just tell her to do it (possibly sans Willow and Xander as well).
And so, because he isn't very good at is job, I think he would get her killed much earlier (assuming we remove the fact that of course Buffy will survive because it is her show). A poor watcher would be a pretty big handicap for a slayer. And as Spike says, the reason Buffy lasts so long is because she has anchors to the world (and sometimes they literally save her life). BGs Wes could never be the anchor even WTHM/TH Giles was. He would stop her making friends - he would remove (well, stop from ever coming into existence) her safety net and so put her in more danger. I don't think there would be time for a better and more understanding relationship to develop because I don't think Buffy would last long enough.

FlowerPower

Potential
I think Buffy and Wesley would have bonded but differently. IMO, Buffy is a hero so she'd be a slayer whether Giles was telling her to do it or not. As such, she'd have to work with Wesley because she'd need his books and research skills and linguistic skills to start. In S3, she could reject him because she already had a Watcher in Giles who could do that stuff as well as her friends with 2.5 years of experience. At the start of S1, she would need Wesley's skills and couldn't reject him. I do think Giles was at advantage in getting Buffy's obedience/warmth because she was looking for a father-figure. Giles's age and father-figure position is also why his stuffiness plays as solid and reassuring to Buffy while Wesley's stuffiness plays as harsh or ridiculous.

In BTVS S3, Wesley does end up accepting the Scooby structure and demands rather quickly after Bad Girls/Consequences even though Buffy/Giles remained very hard on him. He blinked with cowardice in front of Balthezar and blinked with soft-heartedness when Faith threatened his Council team member in the van. However his next combat experience was when Vamp Willow was chasing Cordelia through the school- Wesley immediately faces off against Vamp Willow to protect Cordelia even though he's only fought a vampire under the controlled circumstances before. (Spin the Bottle shows a teen Wesley facing off against Vamp "Liam" even though he's never fought a vampire before.) By Enemies, he was running Scooby meetings and asking Willow and Xander for input, fully accepting the merit of Buffy having her friends in her team. By Graduation Day, he was on the phone with the Council begging for a cure for Angel. Frankly, I don't think Giles EVER evolved that far that he'd ask the Council for a cure for a vampire, jeopardizing his employment. Then after Graduation Day, Wesley went off to be a rogue demon hunter to fight demons on his own even if he didn't have employment or a group. Again, Giles didn't really evolve that far that he'd fight evil without the slayer-structure. He's the guy that skips out of the Scoobies when Buffy's dead or wasn't out fighting evil in Anne/DMP when Buffy was AWOL.

Just imagine, Season 4 "Angel" Wes as Buffy's Watcher in Season 3. Faith accidentally kills the Assistant Mayor, and what happens? Buffy and Faith call their Watcher, and he comes and helps them dispose of the body, then they all go to the Bronze for a cool (nonalcoholic) drink and a discussion on ways to better avoid collateral damage to bystanders in the future.
I like in Orpheus how Wesley calmly and non-judgmentally asks Willow how she plans to get Angel's soul to cure him. It's more collaboration and "checking her work" than Willow got from S2 through S6 with Giles. Giles's MO wasn't to ever ask Willow about the mechanics of her spells but instead, to just expect magic and scold her/demand car-detailings if it wasn't the spell or success level he wanted.

Last edited:

DeepBlueJoy

Lion Faced Kitteh
Season 4 plus wes would OTOH have been an awesome watcher and might have been a better watcher and tactical thinker for Buffy and co in season 7. After working with a vampire, he would have been less likely to try murdering Spike. He would not have wanted to practice betrayal either.

Last edited:
K
katmobile
I think though it's because he's more detached it might be different if Angel had murdered his gf and tortured him and he didn't have guilt from leaving Buffy to cope with depression without him.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Don't forget Wes was out of his league in S3. You can only imagine how witless he would have been two years before. One of the good things about the Buffy-Giles relationship is over time Giles is willing to move with the times and learn from Buffy just like she learns from him. I think Wes would've been too brash and ingrained in the Watcher's culture to do that. Its a credit to Wesley that he learnt from his mistakes and grew from there.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
If the show had been of Wesley and Buffy, I dare say there would have been a lot more humour involved when the Library was featured.

Top Bottom