• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

If you hate Dawn then Why?

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Sineya
I don't hate Dawn, but I don't particularly like her either. The two main reasons I have are 1) What did Dawn bring to the show? In my opinion, not much. They just added another slightly annoying character who took screen time away from other better characters and 2) I didn't like the actress. I know some people love Michelle, but I've never really enjoyed her acting.

Mrs Gordo
Mrs Gordo
I don’t like MT either.
MarieVampSlayer
MarieVampSlayer
Not a fan of Michelle either!

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Dawn was a necessary evil. I too did not like nor hate her. I do however strongly dislike her stories and character post season 5. They never planned on her becoming a real character and they had nothing for her to do, and it showed.

AngeliKat

Townie
I didn't hate Dawn and in fact, I found the 5th-season storyline remarkably well-conceived and executed. The whole plot was brilliant, frankly. Jolting us by introducing Dawn as though she had been there the whole time? While all of the BTVS characters woke up one day without ever knowing she wasn't always around? Genius. I do agree, though, that they could have scrapped her after that, although I think that would have done a disservice to the plot of S5. Keeping her around wasn't the "easy" choice, but rather the interesting one. Sure, she was dull 90% of the time, but I always thought her introduction was too cool to throw aside by writing her out.

Stanger406

Potential
I disliked her for most of season 5 and 6, just because her pain always came across as whiny and bratty. I know she was supposed to be much younger than the other characters, but she felt more like an annoyance, always asking for attention and throwing fits when she didn't get her way. Nothing against Michelle though, that's how her character was written. I'm sure it was not a totally inaccurate representation of a teenager.

I always got frustrated when she'd say Buffy's friends were ignoring her too. Though, thinking back they had become a family while Buffy was gone, so I could understand her being upset when Buffy returned and everyone was doing their own thing. I just think Dawn could have found some more friends outside of Janice too.

I did like Dawn a lot more in season 7 though, when she was a useful member of the team, and matured quite a bit.

MarieVampSlayer

Bloody hell, Sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers..
Sineya
I am not the biggest Dawn fan and it's mostly because I don't like most of her character traits. I think they focused too much on her victimizing herself and being egocentric and that is too thing that I just can't stand. I wish we would have seen more bookish Dawn and how she was pretty intelligent, almost like a young Willow. I think the mistake was to make her only the whiny kid at first and not a multi dimensitional character until S7.

slayer730

Potential
I don't dislike Dawn, but I can see why people would because she is written it be very annoying. I feel like she could have been toned down in terms of her personality and angst at least after season 5. Season 6 should have been her season 7 story arc and personality

white avenger

white avenger
I don't hate Dawn, I simply feel that she was a plot device in Season 5 that had no relevance whatsoever in Seasons 6, 7, or beyond. Once Glory was gone, there was no need for the Key, and certainly no need for an annoying baby sister. Maybe if she had somehow been transformed into a kitten, and Spike had unknowingly...

Nah, that's never gonna happen...

S Rou
S Rou
Love this!!!!!!!!
W

WillowFromBuffy

I don't hate Dawn, I simply feel that she was a plot device in Season 5 that had no relevance whatsoever in Seasons 6, 7, or beyond. Once Glory was gone, there was no need for the Key, and certainly no need for an annoying baby sister. Maybe if she had somehow been transformed into a kitten, and Spike had unknowingly...

Nah, that's never gonna happen...
You don't abandon your siblings just because they become irrelevant to the overall plot. My brother became irrelevant to the overall plot a long time ago, but he adds some humanity and a sense of grounding.

Mylie
Mylie
I'm laughing!
GraceK
GraceK
This made me laugh I’m sorry :p

DeepBlueJoy

Lion Faced Kitteh
I actually enjoyed Dawn, particularly as time went on. Very early dawn was a bit too childishly drawn. I liked her moment in Potential best of all, though the speech props go to Xander.

I pretty much hated her when she threw Buffy out, but before that I liked her for what she was -- a supporting character. I think she was one of the worst realized characters, however. She was written much younger than the age she was supposed to be, and so she could get irritating. But, she was intelligent and as she grew up she made a contribution. I do write her as being a bit in your face and a little spoilt -- she's like a lot of youngest children -- she expects her own way -- but this can be a nice contrast to the terminally serious Buffy of later seasons who can't seem to ask for what she needs from her friends or her watcher. Dawn had no problem getting to the point. The fact that Dawn is not dumb made her grow on me. I like smarts in people and she never tried to hide hers. She becomes more insightful, but there's a no BS spirit that I really like. She can also be very funny when she decides to take charge... i remember her and a tazer and a certain Xander Harris.

GraceK

Grr Arrg
I will never forgive Dawn for her telling Buffy she couldn’t stay in her own house. It baffles the mind that she could look Buffy in the face and say that. Buffy, who gave up college, and her life, and works at a thankless , crappy
Job to provide for Dawn . She has literally given up heaven for Dawn and that’s how she’s thanked. I am still not over it

spikenbuffy
spikenbuffy
At least she felt guilty

Mylie

Scooby
I will never forgive Dawn for her telling Buffy she couldn’t stay in her own house. It baffles the mind that she could look Buffy in the face and say that. Buffy, who gave up college, and her life, and works at a thankless , crappy
Job to provide for Dawn . She has literally given up heaven for Dawn and that’s how she’s thanked. I am still not over it
What? When did this happen?

GraceK

Grr Arrg
What? When did this happen?
Ok so that may have been an exaggeration:) I should have specified. Buffy is resurrected and torn from heaven. Her first instinct is to climb back up to that tower and possibly kill herself
Again. All speculation...but she chooses to keep living, for Dawn , and is mentally broken down all season. This woman, who literally gave up her life for Dawn and was at peace, who is ripped from that peace, spends the season depressed and trying to keep going, and still Dawn bitches at her. And then takes part in the mutiny in S7

Mylie

Scooby
Ok so that may have been an exaggeration:) I should have specified. Buffy is resurrected and torn from heaven. Her first instinct is to climb back up to that tower and possibly kill herself
Again. All speculation...but she chooses to keep living, for Dawn , and is mentally broken down all season. This woman, who literally gave up her life for Dawn and was at peace, who is ripped from that peace, spends the season depressed and trying to keep going, and still Dawn bitches at her. And then takes part in the mutiny in S7
Ok, yes slight exageration but I get it lol.

My thing with that scene and why I never get angry with the characters in that moment is that it feels so out of character and contrived drama just to bring Buffy to that moment in Touched that I basically ignore that episode. It's too ridiculous for me and I'm more upset at the writers than the characters.

Jam

Pepper spray is just so passé
My thing with that scene and why I never get angry with the characters in that moment is that it feels so out of character and contrived drama just to bring Buffy to that moment in Touched that I basically ignore that episode. It's too ridiculous for me and I'm more upset at the writers than the characters.
Yes, my thoughts exactly! Kicking Buffy out of her house into the mostly abandoned streets of Sunnydale, which has had ubervamps running around? I can't let myself get mad about it because it's all so absurd. Dawn in particular would never.

DeepBlueJoy

Lion Faced Kitteh
Yes, my thoughts exactly! Kicking Buffy out of her house into the mostly abandoned streets of Sunnydale, which has had ubervamps running around? I can't let myself get mad about it because it's all so absurd. Dawn in particular would never.
Yes, it is ridiculous. Sadly, it is also canon. If you decide that it actually happened, it is hard to see Buffy ever trusting her family and friends again. If you ignore it, what do you do? End the season where exactly? Unless you want to end it at the end of season 5, where do we end things? So... I usually consider it canon... sometimes i put it down to the influence of the first... after all, the hellmouth literally made a student's head explode... things weren't exactly normal, even for Sunnydale.

But in stories I write where this scenario is fresh, in particular, I usually find myself writing Buffy at least somewhat alienated from the family... because I know if anyone threw me out of my house into hell's little apocalypse in the making, I would probably never talk to them again... Even when they get along, I have it change the way she relates to them. How could it not?

Top Bottom