• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

If you hate Dawn then Why?

sosa lola

Scooby
But in stories I write where this scenario is fresh, in particular, I usually find myself writing Buffy at least somewhat alienated from the family... because I know if anyone threw me out of my house into hell's little apocalypse in the making, I would probably never talk to them again... Even when they get along, I have it change the way she relates to them. How could it not?
It's kinda like The Zeppo where all characters showed extreme disrespect towards Xander by excluding him from that one apocalypse. He didn't hold it against them, but if it were me, I'd be really offended especially since Xander was the one who saved Buffy's life in Prophecy Girl and Willow's life in Inca the Mummy.

Nonetheless, the Zeppo wasn't as ridiculous as Empty Places - if we to headcanon Buffy's insistance not to include Xander to her experience in Helpless which happened right before The Zeppo. Empty Places simply makes me hate Buffy instead of love her because obviously the writers were trying to manipulate me into hating every single character to love Buffy and Spike, and the opposite happened to me.

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
I will never forgive Dawn for her telling Buffy she couldn’t stay in her own house. It baffles the mind that she could look Buffy in the face and say that. Buffy, who gave up college, and her life, and works at a thankless , crappy
Job to provide for Dawn . She has literally given up heaven for Dawn and that’s how she’s thanked. I am still not over it
I never could get why so many people dislike Dawn. Sure she was a brat a lot but I sure a lot of people felt the same way about their younger brother/sister so I not mad at her for that . Plus I don't blame her for kicking Buffy out of the house. I blame Xander & Willow .They both adults & been fighting Vampires/Demons with Buffy for over 6 years but kicked her out anyway .

thrasherpix

Scooby
I blame Xander & Willow .They both adults & been fighting Vampires/Demons with Buffy for over 6 years but kicked her out anyway .
At the same time, Buffy only survived (repeatedly), let alone succeeded, with their help, and therefore Buffy should've been more open to listening to them rather than telling them how it's going to be like they were a bunch of flunkies rather than her team, friends, and allies. But I blame the writers not caring about the show anymore (wanting to end it and move on to other projects) for why Buffy was as intolerable as everyone else. And Buffy really was intolerable this season, at least if the Spike factor didn't save it for you.

ChaseRules

Sineya
And lets not forgot the fact that Xander & Willow threw out Buffy because they wanted more control . Xander was mad because he had been injured & Bufy for once didn't save him . And Willow listened to Kennedy who wanted to be in charge & went along with throwing Buffy out.

There were some bad storylines in the last season also.

The Ferg

Scooby
While the Buffy boards are much kinder to Dawn then almost every other site I see where she gets a bunch of hate.
I don't think it's deserved.
If you hate Dawn, could you elaborate on the reason?
I don't hate her. In fact, I liked her quite a bit in S5. But after that, it's like they couldn't figure out what to do with her.

ChaseRules

Sineya
That what I say. I think Dawn should have had something different from most people as a result of being the key.

DeepBlueJoy

Lion Faced Kitteh
I found it weird that everyone seemed to hate her. I think she's cute and I love her chemistry with Buffy. I have a little sister myself, so maybe that's why it appeals to me more. idk. I guess everyone has their bad moments, Dawn not more than anyone else.
I really liked Dawn. I was glad Buffy had a little sister, particularly after her mom died. Dawn was the little sister after the 'key' arc. Yes, they could have done more with her, but I never really saw any reason to hate her (though I pretty much hated all of them - scoobies, Giles, Dawn and the potentials -- when they threw her out, but never before that). I only really hate suddenly appearing child characters in TV shows, when they become Mary Sue characters, (eg. STTNG!) but she did not.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
I like Dawn...2/3 of the time; she is quite sympathetic in S5 and quite frankly one of the best characters in S7.
She tends to grate a lot as S6 goes on (not really in the beginning) because she often seems to put her own pain before anyone else, when it really isn't as bad in comparison.
Plus the stealing stuff sub-plot; what was that in aid of?

ChaseRules

Sineya
I really liked Dawn. I was glad Buffy had a little sister, particularly after her mom died. Dawn was the little sister after the 'key' arc. Yes, they could have done more with her, but I never really saw any reason to hate her (though I pretty much hated all of them - scoobies, Giles, Dawn and the potentials -- when they threw her out, but never before that). I only really hate suddenly appearing child characters in TV shows, when they become Mary Sue characters, (eg. STTNG!) but she did not.
True. There were things to dislike about Dawn but that just made her normal & compared to the other characters on the show her problems were normal.
Which come to think of it could by why people hated Dawn.

TotallySpiked

Slaying
Black Thorn
How so if i might ask ?
I really just found that the show changed too much overall once she was included.
I like it when it was more central to just the scoobies and all their attention being on each other or the big bad. I didn’t like how Buffy became the older sister because it seemed to change her personality a lot.
A lot of it might come down to the fact I enjoy seasons 1-3 the most.

FaithLehane16
FaithLehane16
Same with me.

crazysoulless

Scooby
I never hated Dawn but I did want to lecture her quite a few times.

Such as...

In All the Way, she's already being a brat even though her sister was resurrected only two weeks ago. TWO WEEKS. If the person I loved most came back from the dead I wouldn't be out egging houses and trying to impress losers who steal from the elderly. She was practically rolling her eyes when she thought she was going to get lectured.

In Gone she is just as mad at Buffy as she is Willow (the one who took her to a crackden and left her there for hours, broke her arm in a car crash by driving recklessly, and nearly killed by a demon) because she expected Buffy to treat her like an adult but always be there to rescue her, to recognize how dangerous Willow was when she was the one who lived with her the five months Buffy was in Heaven and didn't suspect anything.

In Doublemeat Palace, she acknowledged that Buffy has limited opportunities in comparison to her because of being the Slayer, that Buffy is stuck with crap jobs while she can be anything. And yet in Dead Things and Older & Far Away, Dawn complains that Buffy is never around and when reminded of adult responsibilities snarks "Yeah, whatever that means." She knows Buffy has a full-time minimum wage job and goes patrolling every night.

In Normal Again, she makes Buffy being forcibly injected with demon venom and subsequent severe hallucinations about her and was just going to take off to her friend's house even though Buffy had just been seeing their dead mother, thinking she's really a paranoid schizophrenic in a padded room in a psychiatric hospital, and questioning reality even more than she already was from the PTSD and severe depression. Buffy was literally feverish and in physical pain and having black outs.

white avenger

white avenger
I don't think you know what it means to personify something.
Personify: to represent or embody in a physical form.

Dawn was a physical form representing the Key. In order for her to blend in with actual humans, she was given a false set of memories and (probably) the DNA characteristics of someone actually closely related to Joyce and Buffy Summers. (I would be curious to know if the monks thought ahead sufficiently to provide a birth certificate and medical/dental records for their creation.)

W

WillowFromBuffy

Personify: to represent or embody in a physical form.

Dawn was a physical form representing the Key. In order for her to blend in with actual humans, she was given a false set of memories and (probably) the DNA characteristics of someone actually closely related to Joyce and Buffy Summers. (I would be curious to know if the monks thought ahead sufficiently to provide a birth certificate and medical/dental records for their creation.)
Dawn isn't key-ish. She is not a personification of a key or a ball of energy; She is a person. Angelus personifies evil, because he is the idea of evil made concrete. Dawn is the personification of a green ball of energy only in the way a house is the buildification of wood and nails.

Last edited by a moderator:

spikenbuffy

"Why can't I stay"
Staff member
For people who don't like that Dawn said to Buffy to go out of her own house in Empty Places, well at least she feels bad about it, her face says it all at the moment, she is angry at rona when that bitch says "the bitch is dead". Dawn even says to Giles that she feels guilty about it unlike the other scoobies that I don't recall feeling bad about it.

Dora

Scooby
I know you know fully well how I think that BTVS characters had their characters assassinated to bring Spike/ Spuffy to the fore well Dawn is no different
Disliked the S5 story the way Dawn was shoe horned into the series , Hated the selfish cow in S6 when she knew full well what had happened to Buffy , although she did mature after dead things , as for S7 and chucking out Buffy ...Really chucking out Buffy ? ? Giles , willow , Xander , Dawn all suddenly trusting Faith over Buffy? really !!! it was done for the sole purpose of pushing the Spike story to push Spuffy , the good Knight Spike rode back on his white charger , smites the evil Faith , finds and comforts the fair lady Buffy....its was some of the worst Spuffy Twaddle we saw

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
I don't hate Dawn, but her character was unnecessary. I DO hate when TV shows suddenly add a kid because the ratings are bad. *cough* DAWN *cough*
Never cared for Dawn. If you check out the cousin olvier TV trope, Dawn's even mentioned as a prime example. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom