1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

If you were Buffy, would you had staked Angelus?

Discussion in 'Season 2' started by Joshua, May 27, 2013.

1. Mr Trick

Mr Trick Scooby

Well at that point I still found Angel really bland and dull, and the likes of Xander and Spike far more interesting, so in a peverse kind of way I did want her to do, and that maybe it would be the more interesting thing to do storyline wise. Of course he has since grown on me as a character so I feel a little differently now. Anyway, given Buffy's age at the time, and all other factors to consider I can understand why it was a tough decision to make.

Puppet likes this.
  2. Cordeliagirl

Cordeliagirl Oh, Buffy, we're sisters! With different hair.

Sineya
    Yes i will

3. Priceless

Priceless I didn't forget y'know

If I were Buffy then no of course I wouldn't have staked Angelus. How could I? In my heart I'd still be clinging to the hope that there was a little spark of Angel still in there. I don't even think I'd be as strong as Buffy and kill him ever, I'd have to get Willow to destroy him with a spell, I just couldn't have looked into his eyes and done it. :(

Smile Time likes this.
  4. Last Watcher

Last Watcher Tweed Icon

Sineya
    Well, one way of looking at it is that if she had kept their relationship purely professional, & not got jiggy with a Vamp, Angelus wouldn't have been a problem as he wouldn't have been set free.....!

Just sayin! ;)

Puppet and Smile Time like this.
  5. Cordeliagirl

Cordeliagirl Oh, Buffy, we're sisters! With different hair.

Sineya
    I agree or have curse different, if buffy broken , not lift curse, Angel will be seprate from Angelus and be free of Angelus.

6. thrasherpix

thrasherpix Scooby

Yes. Angelus could've been far worse than he was shown (such as turning Joyce, which I think he was getting ready to do when Buffy and Willow "changed the locks" so he couldn't enter the Summers home) and I'd do whatever I could to prevent it. Furthermore, I'd see Angel as dead anyway, especially once it was clear that his soul could not be restored to that form. But then one major difference between me and Buffy is that love doesn't blind me, at least not to the same level it does her.

But at the very end I'd have supported Willow's attempt, but more for a tactical reason. I wouldn't count on it working and see it as a desperate "Hail Mary play" that might pan out if I failed, and only marginally better than praying (which I see as an utter waste of time). I would not hold onto the desperate hope that it would work, and I would not try to "buy time" to give Willow the chance.

I recognize this as making me a lot less likeable than Buffy, at least as a character in a fiction show (though those who have suffered because of women who loved their monsters or thought they could change them can appreciate where I'm coming from, and just for the record, women--and men--who stand by their monster don't get a pass or pity from me).

Puppet likes this.
  7. Fool for Buffy

Fool for Buffy BFF of Sour Patch Kid

Sineya
    I'd argue that killing Angel was the strongest thing Buffy ever did, even more than sacrificing her own life because she had to live on and feel what she did after Angel. It was heroic and incredible. As far as staking him goes, when there was nothing really at play, (as in the world wasn't ending) I would say she in no way should be expected to do that. If I were Buffy I wouldn't have the strength. The fact that she could do it even after some time proves she is not only the strongest in the world physically, but emotionally.

Smile Time and Priceless like this.
  8. javidscool

javidscool My friends call me based Giles

This is a VERY difficult question for me to answer. I'm Team Angel but am watching BTVS again and am currently on Season 2 (which is why I'm here lol), and I just got past the part where Angelus is killing Miss Calendar, stalking and harassing Buffy and everyone else, and is being a total dick in general. I REALLY don't wanna say this, but yes, I think Buffy did the right thing killing him at the end of S2, and yes, I think Buffy should've staked him instead of restoring his soul.

The reason being is that Angel is just WAAY too dangerous to be kept alive, because his soul is not permanent and is dependent on the curse, and you never know, even if you restore his soul again, if he'll lose it in the future and then you're back to where you started. Angelus appears again in S4 of Angel and he's arguably even more dangerous than he was in Buffy S2. The demon is still in there, and, unlike Spike, can get out at any time. If there was some way to take out the curse and make his soul PERMANENTLY stay, then I'd say do that, but just restoring the curse, and his soul along with it, with the chance that it could be taken away again is not good, as, again, Angel is too dangerous to be kept alive. Either cure him permanently or, unfortunately, kill him.

Puppet likes this.
  9. white avenger

white avenger white avenger

(I can't believe that I'm answering a comment made about something I said 4 years ago, but, apparently, I didn't notice it at the time, so, here goes)

The key part of my statement was "under the same circumstances." In Season 2, ensouled Angel was gone, leaving only the monster, Angelus. As far as Buffy knew at that time, Angel was gone forever. She had no idea that Willow could restore his soul. Spike, on the other hand, retained his soul, and, most of the time, his own free will. The circumstances weren't the same there as in Season 2. Most of the time, Spike was Spike, no danger to her or anyone else. If he had been permanently subjugated by the First Evil (for instance, if Caleb had never come to town, and Spike was assuming his duties) I think that Buffy would have dusted him. But that wasn't the case. When Buffy first had the chance to kill Angelus, and couldn't, she fully believed that Angel was lost forever. In Season 7, she fully believed that Spike was still there.

javidscool likes this.
  10. Agent Z

Agent Z Townie

Angel did eventually come back after Buffy killed him so I doubt it would have changed anything if she staked him earlier.