• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

If you were in charge, how would you have wrote Dawn differently?

S Rou

Potential
If we had to write Dawn played by MT then I would agree with @Anyanka Bunny Killer and have Dawn actually act her age. I would write her as quite shy who spends a lot of time in her room (which would also "explain" her lack of presence in the first 4 seasons "She was in her room and off-screen"). After Joyce's death, we'd see Buffy try and emotionally connect with Dawn more (which Buffy never saw the need to do in the first 4 seasons).

If we were just writing Dawn as a character without MT, then I would have Dawn be Buffy's daughter who was the result of Buffy's one night stand with Parker. Parker wouldn't be interested and a pregnant Buffy would struggle over deciding whether to keep the baby or not given her lifestyle as a slayer. She'd seek advice from her friends and Giles (which is the perfect opportunity for Giles to mention Nikki Wood and Robin, it would also involve Spike into the story as he was the one who killed Nikki). Buffy decides to keep the baby and gives birth to Dawn. When the monks make Dawn the key and Glory is after her, Buffy's protective mother instinct kicks in and she goes to all lengths to protect Dawn. She won't sacrifice Dawn to save the world but because they share the same blood (Summers blood), Buffy sacrifices herself to save Dawn.
And leaves her friends and spike with a screaming shit factory who is about to start teething!!!! =-O

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
And leaves her friends and spike with a screaming shit factory who is about to start teething!!!! =-O
What's wrong with showing a same sex lesbian couple raising a child? It could add to Buffy's Season 6 woes if her own daughter seems to prefer Willow and Tara (her primary carers when Buffy was dead) over her.

Also Anya could get broody over baby Dawn which would stick the fear of god up Xander if he doesn't think he's ready to have kids. However, he won't communicate to Anya about it which would obviously cause issues because Anya likes sex but Xander would want to avoid it so that Anya won't get pregnant, which in turn is frustrating for him because he wants to have sex with Anya but she wouldn't let him use a condom and she's stopped taking contraceptives (assuming Anya decides she wants to get pregnant asap rather than want kids "one day").

I don't see Giles wanting much to do with baby Dawn. First he doesn't seem like a bay person, the other being that he might find it too painful because she reminds him of Buffy's death.

I don't think the scoobies would let Spike near baby Dawn, especially if he constantly refers to her as "nibblet".

Last edited:

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
I don't think a baby would have worked long term in the show, she would had to have been born and grow up over 3 seasons (5-7) it just wouldn't have worked for me.

I would have liked it if we found out more about the Key and what it could be used for post season 5, also Dawn being trained more in season 6, like we eventually got in season 7.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I don't think a baby would have worked long term in the show, she would had to have been born and grow up over 3 seasons (5-7) it just wouldn't have worked for me.
I'd assume that Dawn would've just been coming up for 3 at the end of 7.

Dawn being a baby in Season 6 (she would've just been coming up to 2) would also have put added pressure on Buffy and her mental state. Childcare is expensive, and with everyone out during the day, Buffy would have no choice but to pay for it. (Buffy wouldn't even consider leaving Dawn with Spike, not just because he's a vampire who sleeps during the day, but because he smokes a lot and she doesn't want Dawn breathing in the smoke). Buffy would need to work so that there is money coming in to pay for household bills and Dawn's childcare, but even if Buffy tried to work her shifts so Dawn wouldn't need childcare (eg she goes to work once Willow or Tara get in), she's not getting any sleep. which makes her feel worse. Doris could be called because one of Buffy's neighbours (one who thinks Buffy is an unfit mother, or doesn't think Dawn should be raised by two lesbians, or just sees unsavoury looking characters (Spike) coming and gong from the residence) reports her, citing concern for Dawn's welfare. Doris does her inspection and finds the "magic weed", the house in disarray etc, things that aren't enough to have Dawn taken away immediately but gives enough cause for concern to warrant further investigation. Basically Buffy would struggle with the worry that she's not a good enough mother to Dawn and wonders whether Dawn would be better off in a "proper" family. Season 6 ends with Buffy vowing not to give up and proving that she is a good mother to Dawn even if she's not perfect, and that Dawn already has a family in the scoobies, albeit an non-traditional one.

Dawn being a baby in Season 7 would also ramp up the horror factor, given how vulnerable she is due to her age. Caleb would view Dawn with disgust because she is a product of a one night stand and reinforces his "women are whores" line of thinking. The First would send a Turok Han after Dawn just for the evils (since the Turok Hand apparently don't need invitations to enter home, just imagine the adult characters talking in the kitchen, oblivious to the danger, whilst the screen cuts to the Turok Han climbing up the side of the house towards Dawn's bedroom window). There would be a real sense of desperation to defeat the First which could also play into Buffy's reason for trying to take the fight to the Caleb, which could also give the potentials reason to think Buffy would sacrifice them just to save Dawn (the dilemma being that of course Buffy would naturally want to save her daughter over a random girl she's been saddled with, however, it's not fair to the potentials to be treated as expendable just because they're not related to Buffy, even though Buffy isn't deliberately getting them killed). It could explore the question of "How much is one life worth compared to another?" Is Dawn's life worth more
than Kennedy's just because Buffy is Dawn's mother, even though Kennedy is somebody's daughter too? Should you sacrifice someone else's child to save your own? Real morally dubious questions should be faced by the heroes. It might also give the mutiny scene some leverage on the potentials side rather than them kicking Buffy out despite Buffy being right.

Top Bottom