• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Illyria taking over the body of somebody else (rather than Fred) in the Buffyverse

spikenbuffy

"Hi honey, I'm home"
Staff member
Hi. If not for Fred being taken over by Illyria's essence, who would you want to see the body taken over by Illyria in the Buffyverse ? (One of the main/recurring cast of BTVS or ATS, I mean.)

Dawn, Tara, other....

It could have been great to see some characters that people don't appreciate much play a different character by the same actors/actresses in a different way that they did like Amy Acker played the different characterization between Fred & Illyria.

white avenger

white avenger
Since Illyria was an Angel character, she would have almost certainly taken over a character from that show, rather than someone from Sunnydale, and if it had been someone like Kate, who was no longer a regular on the show, it wouldn't have had the same sort of impact as losing one of Angel's existing team. That means Gunn, Wes, or Lorn, with Cordy being a possibility if there could have been some way of having Illyria displace Jasmine, which might have been really interesting. Of the others, the least important as a demon fighter would have been Lorne, especially if there could have been more of a shared consciousness (like maybe Oz and the werewolf, or Ben and Glory)

Otherwise, if some regular would have been brought over from Buffy for that express purpose, my vote would be for Dawn, if only for the reaction of Spike on losing his "bit," or Andrew, if they wanted to include a comedic element to the mix.

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
I read a story once where Illyria took over Willow and she was this great mixture of Illyria and Darth Willow from S6 and I thought that was a clever idea. The two fought inside Willow's head, until Illyria obviously won and took over completely.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
That would have been a great use for Harmony. We wouldn't have gotten the mournful sendoff that we got for Fred, it could have been more comedic:

Harmony: "Angel, what's happening to me?"

Angel: "That's your Wolfram & Hart benefits package kicking in."

Harmony: "But she is changing me into someone else."

Angel: "I didn't say the benefits accrue to you. (They were assigned to you. They benefit us.)"

sort of reminiscent of "Who are you?/A friend/I don't need a friend./ I didn't say I was yours."

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
Or Connor. extra heartbreak for Angel.
Conner wouldn't
That would have been quite the plot twist . Angel made sure that Conner wouldn't be dragged into his life going as far as making a deal
with the Senior Partners to save him . And then he gets taken over by Illyria would really hurt Angel.

And the worst part would be thanks to the deal nobody would know why Angel is so broken up over it .

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Yeah, Illyria wasn't about Illyria, it was about losing Fred, and the effects on the other characters (and the audience) of losing the universal love interest. I suppose, if you want to give the series credit, death of a loved one is the last great test of adulthood, so yay metaphor! I don't think any other character's death in such a total manner would have hit us, or Wesley, Gunn, Spike and Lorne in such a manner.

But frankly, Knox. There are few punishments the human servants of the Old Ones don't deserve, and given what their hell is like, soul being consumed by fire is merciful.

famicommander

Potential
Anya would be my choice among the main casts of the two shows because she's morally irredeemable anyway. I like the character, but if any of them deserve to have their soul consumed by fire it's the one who directly caused the Russian Revolution and therefore many of the greatest atrocities in the history of mankind.

ChaseRules
ChaseRules
Let not forgot that she never seemed sorry about what she did .

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
Yeah, Illyria wasn't about Illyria, it was about losing Fred, and the effects on the other characters (and the audience) of losing the universal love interest. I suppose, if you want to give the series credit, death of a loved one is the last great test of adulthood, so yay metaphor! I don't think any other character's death in such a total manner would have hit us, or Wesley, Gunn, Spike and Lorne in such a manner.

But frankly, Knox. There are few punishments the human servants of the Old Ones don't deserve, and given what their hell is like, soul being consumed by fire is merciful.
Nice twist would have been Knox setting up Fred & at the last second or so get taken instead . That karma for you .

Top Bottom