• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

In the spirit of the holidays...share one thing you appreciate about a ship you dislike.

Mrs Gordo

And then she comes along...
Black Thorn
@Puppet inspired this thread by agreeing with Bangels today and @Priceless pointed out that it was the spirit of Christmas... so here we go.

In the spirit of the season, I invite you all to share a positive comment, something you enjoy, appreciate or admire about a 'ship that you generally dislike.

I shall begin: I really like Spike and Buffy's interactions in Hells Bells. I think the moment they share when Buffy acknowledges that she is jealous and Spike appreciates her for being honest about it is very sweet. I like when Spike says that she glows and I appreciate the comics call back to that.

If I'm brave I'll come back for a Cangel one... but I can only go one at a time! :)

MarieVampSlayer
MarieVampSlayer
Great idea!

Puppet

You rocks think you're so smart.
Black Thorn
Great idea for some positivity on the board for the holiday @dcai0830 :D

Okay, let's see: I really enjoy the scene between Buffy and Angel in Yoko Factor, when they're out in the hallway and Angel says he doesn't like Riley. The little smile that they share is really sweet and I believe it was one of the rare times where I actually believed in Bangel, even if I didn't ship it. I know they're technically broken up here, but I'm pretty sure it still counts, especially based on the scene the OP chose :)

RachM

I'm busy. I'm brooding.
Okay, here goes ...

I genuinely like the scene between Spike and Buffy at the end of Intervention, when Buffy poses as the Bot in order to find out what (if anything) Spike told Glory. I feel like this was one of the rare moments where Spike's actions weren't done to get into Buffy's pants or to impress her but rather to just help and be there for her. And I genuinely like the kiss Buffy gives him at the end, because it's not a "reward", it's simply Buffy saying thank you and showing how grateful she is, even despite the BuffyBot and the grossness it entailed. It's just a really sweet and understated scene, with no underlying animosity, attached strings or hidden agendas.

brinkster130
brinkster130
That’s a good one.

WillowFromBuffy

Extra flamy candles!
I am usually festive all year 'round when it comes to ships, except for Wes/Fred and Cangel, so here goes.

Heartthrob is a great Cangel episode. Romantic feelings seems to be growing between them, but the great dynamic of their friendship is still present. Cordelia helping Angel come to terms with his feelings about Buffy's death is so great. It was a great start to a hypothetical romance that was not the one we got.

Everything of Wes/Fred before A Hole in the World is boring, disingenuous, juvenile and/or disgusting. Every scene in A Hole in the World and after is absolutely amazing and almost redeems the ship.

Mrs Gordo
Mrs Gordo
It’s ok! Just thought I’d comment before the thread went there.
crazysoulless
crazysoulless
That's what I hate about Heartthrob, it wasn't about Angel mourning Buffy, instead it was a setup for Cangel.

Mrs Gordo

Black Thorn
I’m not a mod or anything but I’d say let’s try and keep it positive so that we don’t open the doors to people feeling the need to defend ships.

Think of it as an exercise in restraint ;)

WillowFromBuffy
WillowFromBuffy
Sorry. Not good with the restraint thing and edit window is closed :(
Spanky
Spanky
What? That's true. I mean seriously. I would love someone like that.

buffy1990

"Every now and then, people surprise you."
Willow/Kennedy. I really appreciate that Kennedy helped Willow realize it is okay to care for someone new. Willow was grieving Tara through much of S7, even with Kennedy, and I think Kennedy helped Willow cope with the idea that you can let someone else into your heart without letting go of the love you had for someone else. Willow really needed that.

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Staff member
Sineya
I liked seeing Angel really try to win back Cordys friendship, trust, and admiration in s2 post dark Angel. It was clear how deeply he cared for her and how bummed he was by knowing that he had hurt her.

Mrs Gordo

Black Thorn
Cangel: I appreciate how Cordelia is protective of Angel, especially in the early seasons.

Grace
Grace
Is Scuffy next for you? ;)
Spuffy: I actually really enjoy the scene when Buffy comes clean to Spike about being in heaven. She says her friends ripped her out and this is hell. She walks away from Spike in the dark as she walks into the light but for her walking into the light does not really represent light in a purity sense anymore this light represents hell. Thus begins her dabble in the dark. I think the confession to an unlikely person (Spike) was a nice touch, but I also enjoyed the symbolism in the scene.

Cangel: I also thoroughly enjoy You're Welcome. I do find myself shipping them in that episode. It was raw, genuine emotion that previous s3 Cangel lacked :/

Spanky
Spanky
Was that even considered Cangel in You're Welcome?
I like a few Bangel scenes, but one of my favourites is when Angel gives Buffy the claddagh ring. It's such a sweet moment, full of love. Angel's put real thought into the gift and the meaning behind it, and he goes all shy and boyish when he's telling Buffy what it means. It all works really well and even I go 'awww' when I see it :)

Grace

Destructo-Girl
Black Thorn
Fred/Wesley: Their kissing scene at the end of Smile Time is cute.
Buffy/Spike: The moment their hands catch fire in Chosen is very moving.
Angel/Cordelia: I agree with @WillowFromBuffy that they had a lovely dynamic in Heartthrob that could have led to something great (and we saw flashes of what could have been in You're Welcome).

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
Okay.. so here's one I honestly could not find anything positive on. Fred + Gunn. Someone say a positive about them... and nothing superficial. The only thing I really remember of them is lying to everyone about their dating and then the guy getting eaten by the tree-thing.

Okay, something nice about Briley.....Riley looks really cute somehow. And Buffy gets to be normal college-girl for a while.

flow

Sineya
Cangel:
I don't hate this ship but I don't particularly like it either so I'm happy to say something nice here. Angel did love Cordy in some sense, and I think that's forgotten a lot :) Cordy was very important to him, a lot more than she's credited for.

Spuffy:
I like Spike's first reaction to Buffy being alive again, and I like that he's almost angry on Buffy's behalf that the Scoobies brought her back. It was also cute that Spike spent the summer protecting Dawn, that was decent even though it was probably a coping mechanism for the loss of Buffy.
Plus this scene is sweet, let's be honest.

Top Bottom