• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Independence Day Celebrations (USA)

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
Apparently there will be a July 4th display of America's Armed Forces in the capital. I'll be interested to see what the responses will be.

Taake

Something Wicked This Way Comes
Staff member
Black Thorn
Is that unusual? Are you assuming negative responses?

Personally I’m going to a barbecue as an ”honorary” American, which reminds me I still haven’t looked into a ”patriotic” outfit... hm, maybe pink will work as well as red

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Staff member
Sineya
Is that unusual? Are you assuming negative responses?
Yes it's unusual, for the US at least. Not totally unprecedented, but very uncommon. I think the fact that it was raining during the parade quieted some of the negative response.

Taake

Something Wicked This Way Comes
Staff member
Black Thorn
Yes it's unusual, for the US at least. Not totally unprecedented, but very uncommon. I think the fact that it was raining during the parade quieted some of the negative response.
I see, it seemed like it might be usual. Kind of like the High-Guards ceremonies that we have here (changing of the royal guards). More ceremonial than actual shows of strenght.
:)

white avenger

white avenger
Is that unusual?
Yes it's unusual, for the US at least.
Only since the Viet Nam era. Before that, the military was almost always represented in Independence Day parades, with very good reason. Without them, we wouldn't have a country. It is now, and was then, a recognition and an expression of gratitude for them. It was never a show of force to intimidate our citizens. The outspoken opposition to the war in Viet Nam, and our continued military presence in other areas, made pride in our military politically incorrect.

Are you assuming negative responses?
Since this was basically President Trump's idea, absolutely. Trump could find a cure for cancer, discover an unlimited source of clean, efficient energy, cure world hunger, provide shelter and food for the homeless, and find a way to insure world peace, and the Democrats and liberal news media would find something negative about every bit of it. The man is no more perfect that any other man or woman on this planet, but he is a long, long way away from being the ogre that he is painted to be. We could, and have, had much worse Presidents, just in my lifetime.

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Staff member
Sineya
Only since the Viet Nam era. Before that, the military was almost always represented in Independence Day parades, with very good reason. Without them, we wouldn't have a country. It is now, and was then, a recognition and an expression of gratitude for them. It was never a show of force to intimidate our citizens. The outspoken opposition to the war in Viet Nam, and our continued military presence in other areas, made pride in our military politically incorrect.
For the 4th of July? When was the last time that happened? Sure military parades aren't a new thing, but when it comes to a President throwing one they've mostly come at the end of a war; WWI and II, the American Bicentennial, JFK's inauguration, and most recently at the end of the Persian Gulf war. What Trump planned was unusual, whether or not you think it was a good thing or not is a matter of opinion, but the celebration wasn't something we see often.

white avenger

white avenger
whether or not you think it was a good thing or not is a matter of opinion, but the celebration wasn't something we see often.
Maybe not so much anymore, but it was quite common before Viet Nam made such things politically incorrect, and even if it never had been before, it shouldn't have been made out as as bad a thing as most of the news medis and political opposition made it out to be.. As I said previously, President Trump can do nothing right according to the Democrat Party and CNN.

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Hail Hydra 💀
Black Thorn

Maybe not so much anymore, but it was quite common before Viet Nam made such things politically incorrect, and even if it never had been before, it shouldn't have been made out as as bad a thing as most of the news medis and political opposition made it out to be.. As I said previously, President Trump can do nothing right according to the Democrat Party and CNN.

Top Bottom