• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Info on Angel in Issue 2

W

WillowFromBuffy

"So now we have Buffy The Vampire Slayer #2 hitting stores next week with those first rebooted appearances, the beginning of a Buffy/Robin romance, the new Willow romance and, what I’m told, will be hints of a potential divisive new pairing that some Angel purists fans will…have strong feelings about, to say the least."

I don't know what this could mean, but if this pairing is new, meaning that it's not Cordelia, then Xander seems the most likely suspect.

Source

W

WillowFromBuffy

See I kinda read that as the show Angel not the character.
I think this site has a tendency to italicise Angel, even when talking about the character. There's also a grammatical error in "Angel purists fans" in that the adjectival noun is pluralised.

But if it is indeed the Angel the Show, what controversial new pairing could it possibly be? Cordelia is the only AtS character introduced so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Staff member
Sineya
What pairing on Angel is divisive? Jasmine/Cordy and Angel/Cordy seem to be the big ones, maybe Wes/Fred?

My guess is Cordy and Angel are involved,

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
My theory is that Spike is going to be the vampire with a soul so Angel isn't going to exist in the comics. Think about it, they've taken away the Angelus/Dru backstory, in the show Spike got a soul just like Angel, if they introduced Angel then immediately people are going to expect him and Buffy to get together which the writers don't want because the want Buffy to have time to grow as a character first. My guess is we're going to see the first hints of Spuffy but what's going to piss the Angel fans off is that Spike is essentially Angel but he's Spike.

Either that, or they're going to make Angel female. Also, that blurb is basically about pairings and ships: "Buffy/Robin romance", "Willow romance", "divisive new pairing", are they turning this into the Twilight saga?

TriBel

Scooby
My theory is that Spike is going to be the vampire with a soul so Angel isn't going to exist in the comics.
That was one of my initial thoughts when the comics were first announced. However, haven't they since confirmed he's in?

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
That was one of my initial thoughts when the comics were first announced. However, haven't they since confirmed he's in?
I don't think so. They've just said they want Buffy to grow as a character first whereas if they put Angel in that's what the audience is going to be focussing on.

ifeveristoday

Townie
Eh, there's been 20+ years of fanfic, there isn't really any divisive pairing with Angel (series or character) that hasn't already been explored - it could be with Kate, Jheira, Eve, Lilah, Nina, Faith, even Fred if they're not using Cordelia - and for the slashers, it could be Wesley, Gunn, Lindsey, even Lorne. Depending on audience feedback I wouldn't put up victory shipping banners for any couple yet - it seems like the comic reboot is definitely doing very well so they'll have more issues to explore all the different relationships possible.

TriBel

Scooby
This from David Lavery's book on Joss Whedon: "Stage One came with the realization that the character of Angel on Buffy was "really popping" and would soon outgrow the narrative that had given him birth. Buffy and Angel's unrequitedness, Whedon became certain, did not have a narrative function. "I also knew that the romance between Buffy and Angel could go so far before it became incredibly tired" Whedon would recall. And so, even though people are constantly yelling at me and screaming on the Internet that I have to get them back together, we knew that there was gonna come a time when there wouldn't be as much of a place for Angel on the show, so it made sense to give him his own".

If Whedon still has an input and feels he boxed Angel into a corner the first time, he's unlikely to want to repeat the mistake (with either Angel or Spike). If the Buffy comic's a success, perhaps they'll reboot Angel?

W

WillowFromBuffy

I contacted the writer of the article to clarify and he meant Angel the Series, not Angel the character. It relates to Cordy.
Would Angel purists care about a Cordelia ship? Specifically one that happens in Sunnydale?

They've talked before about Cordelia and Spike finding some common ground in Issue 3, I think. There aren't that many characters to choose from.

Btvs fan

Scooby
Would Angel purists care about a Cordelia ship? Specifically one that happens in Sunnydale?

They've talked before about Cordelia and Spike finding some common ground in Issue 3, I think. There aren't that many characters to choose from.
I hope not I want Spuffy not Sordy :(

I hope not I want Spuffy not Sordy :(
The one ship that shouldn't be in these new comics is Spuffy. It was done on both the show and the DH comics. They've played it out in both negative and positive lights. What more is there to do with it? - It's been done to death already, lets move on from it.

I'd be open to a Cordy/Spike ship. They would never.stop.yapping at each other. It would be hilarious.

B
Btvs fan
You could say the same about Bangel too though 🤷‍♂️
Taake
Taake
love your avatar

Taake

I can kill you with my brain
Staff member
Black Thorn
Hm, a divisive Cordelia ship? I'm having a hard time imaginging this. If it relates to the Angel series does it mean that they're bringing in a character from Ats?

I'd be open to a Cordy/Spike ship. They would never.stop.yapping at each other. It would be hilarious.
Lol, sounds a lot like Cordy and Xander actually, but definitely could be hilarious.

Btvs fan You could say the same about Bangel too though

Spoken like a true Spuffy - I'm not even a Bangel and i have to disagree. Spuffy was given more attention then any other ship in the buffyverse. What more is there to do with it that hasn't already been done? The only thing they ever did with bangel was try to end the world.

Spanky

I'm came here to chew bubblegum and go off topic.
Black Thorn
does it mean that they're bringing in a character from Ats?
It would make sense seeing as they mentioned Wolfram and Hart. I just assumed it was someone related to them.

Taake

I can kill you with my brain
Staff member
Black Thorn
It would make sense seeing as they mentioned Wolfram and Hart. I just assumed it was someone related to them.
Cordy and Lindsey!
OG Cordy was into older guys too, why break the habit. (Not judging her, just saying, if someone thinks a lawyer guy would be 'too old')

Spanky
Spanky
I was thinking Lilah as it seems to be more female focused, but Lindsey and Cordy would be an awesome couple.
Top Bottom