• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Intermediate Class #2: Basic Banner-making

Crazy Flakes

Velma
Class List

Bluebird - Part 1 Complete
Darling
NIX - Part 1 Complete
palabravampiress - Part 1 Completed
yellowcrayon - Part 1 Completed
scobro
Lorney Tunes - Part 1 Complete
itsxpaperdoll - Part 1 Complete

Level: Beginner or intermediate...I'm not sure which.
What You'll Need:
Spike picture #1
Spike picture #2
Texture #1
Texture #2

Hey, everyone! Right now, I'm gonna teach you how to make this in a few easy steps:

It'll help you learn how to work with textures and teach you a rudimentary form of blending...and I must say, the final product is pretty nifty.
Now, here we go!

Step 1:
Open a new canvas that's 500 pixels in width and 130 pixels in height.

Step 2:
Take the first Spike picture and place it on the left side of the canvas. Once he's there, take the second picture and put it on the right. Adjust it so that you can only see his head, neck, and a little bit of his jacket. Now, you've probably noticed that there's a big white patch covering the other picture. You can either use the eraser tool or just use the rectangular marquee tool (the dotted square icon), select the white that's covering him, and delete it. Now, you should have this.

Step 3:
If you look at the "Layers" box, you'll see that each picture of Spike has its own layer (the first one is layer 1, the second is layer 2.). We want that to be one layer. Select layer 2, then click on the dropdown menu labelled "Layer." Toward the bottom, you will see "Merge Down," "Merge Visible," and "Flatten Image." Right now, you can use any of these...they'll all do the same thing (except Merge Down won't merge the background with them, but that doesn't matter in this case.) Once both pictures are on the same layer, go to the "Layer" menu again, click "Duplicate Layer," and click "Okay." Now, you've got two copies of the blended image. Select the top one, and you'll see on the top of the Layer box, there's a little menu that currently has "Normal" written on it. Go to that menu and set the picture to "Soft Light." You now have this.

Step 4:
Now, it's time for the fun part...textures! Hurray! Copy this texture and paste it over your image. Go back to the menu you used to set the second base layer to soft light, and set this texture to "Screen." You'll now notice that the banner has little, cool-looking scratches on it, like this.

Step 5:
Copy and paste this texture onto your canvas and set it to "Overlay." Now, you'll notice that Spike's face has some textury stuff on it, so we're gonna get rid of it. Time to use the eraser tool. I made it 20 px in size and set the opacity to 50%, but as long as you're somewhere around there, you're fine. Now, erase around his face (remember not to click over one spot multiple times...just drag the eraser over it one time, 'cause we still want some of the texture to be on his face.) Don't worry about being exact. You should have this

Step 6:
Ah, now it's time for the fun part...font. I used the Angel font in all caps (which you can download here), but you can use anything...Times New Roman, Georgia, Arial Black, etc. are all fine. Don't use anything too flashy, though...as eager as you may be to use your sparkly rainbow font, it's a surefire way to ruin your banner. Write whatever you think fits in the white area ("Spike" would probably be the easiest thing, but if you're just desperate to write certain lyrics or something along those lines, go ahead.) Once it's all set, you can add effects, if you want. I added a drop shadow, so you can do that if you want. You can do this by right-clicking the text layer, clicking "Blending Options," then checking the box next to "Drop Shadow." Keep in mind that this is in Photoshop CS...it may be different in other versions.

And voila! You're done! If you have any questions, feel free to send me a PM :D

Spanky
Spanky
go ahead and scratch me off the list.. peace out..
E
Enemies
thanks for including how to use drop shadow :)
You know, I AM supposed to be in this class...

And yay, Spike! :) I'm really excited to start, but also a little busy. Is there a deadline, and if so, when?

Lyri
Lyri
You're in it, see? *points to class list and whistles*

Lyri

Buckle Up Tight
Sineya
Unless otherwise stated by the actual tutor, everyone should assume that the deadline is 2 weeks from the day of posting.

Lyri

Buckle Up Tight
Sineya
Those of you who haven't completed this tutorial, you know who you are.

You have until Wednesday April 1st to post your banners, or you'll be removed from the class.

Lyri

Buckle Up Tight
Sineya
We still have two people outstanding on this challenge, so I'll give you another week, and then you'll be removed from the class.

Top Bottom