• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Introducing Buffy to Anti-Buffy People

Moggin

Tasty Townie
Question for our academicians:

How many other shows have studies devoted to them? (Offhand, I know there are studies devoted solely to Alien, Star Trek, and Twilight Zone. I'm sure there are more, but college classes on TV series isn't something I'd know. It does seem to me that the more "trivia" and essay books there are on a series the more likely there is a class on it somewhere.)

I know there are Buffy Studies. So unless such (studies/classes focused on a specific MODERN series) are a dime a dozen then surely that's a point to be made that it's probably different from what they're expecting.
I've often wondered how widespread classes on specific pop culture are. I know a university in Washington (can't remember which one) does/did offer a course on Buffy, and I have heard of the odd class here or there doing the same for Star Wars, but outside a course studying popular culture in the broader sense, and including Buffy, Star Wars etc. as a small part of the scheduled material, I don't know that it is really common to do this.

My alma mater certainly never allowed such a thing to be taught. It was nothing but dusty tomes and pretentiously obscure reads/film in foreign languages for us, but it was also quite a snobbish university too, so maybe that was the reason. I remember one student wanting to write her thesis on fairy tales, and the professors I was working with really sneared at the idea. I thought it was great, and had thought of a Beauty and the Beast analysis across non-fantasy material, but quickly changed my own thesis to match the mood of the school. In hindsight, I wish I hadn't.

Buffyverse97

Townie
My mum watched Buffy and Angel when they first aired,she said she found them alright but she's not a big fan like me. I have been trying to get my Step Sister and friends to watch it with no luck

sweetiepie

Townie
I was once vehemently anti-Buffy, but a few months ago became converted through a very specific set of circumstances. Absolutely everyone else I know personally is still on the anti-Buffy train. I even asked my oldest friend last month and found she was still disgusted by the notion. One by one, though, I've been leaving trails for the uninitiated to follow, and I think I've hit on a foolproof system. Some, I can tell, are slowly coming around to the idea of watching the series. A couple of them, who I suspect are secretly sneaking peeks at episodes, have been casually dropping questions during unrelated conversations, and a few more who have watched with me have openly been wanting to talk about specific aspects of the show. LOL!

Anyways, how many friends and family members share your Buffy obsession, and are there still those in your life who still can't/won't get into it? Have you tried some Buffy conversion? If so, what techniques did you use, and did they work?

I have some friends who enjoy that series. I don't use any techniques to convince anyone to watch Buffy. I just say it's the best show and that's it. They want to watch, great. They don't want to watch, whatever.

Moggin

Tasty Townie
@Athene I finally gave in because I thought it must be worth it if you are still going on about it after 9 years. Also, we had a deal😏
Inspired by this exchange, I've been giving Lucifer a try. It's really good!

Athene
Athene
What episode are you on? Maybe you like it more than me lol
Mehansa
Mehansa
Omg yes! I highly recommend!

Moggin

Tasty Townie
@Athene I've just finished the first season. It has problems, but the humor is good, and Ellis is interestingly eccentric in his performance.

Athene
Athene
Yeah that's pretty much how I feel. I really dislike the way they use the therapy sessions though.
Top Bottom