• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Is Angel right to be jealous of Buffy and Spike?

Gnomie192

Townie
Buffy's relationships with Angel and Spike are complete opposites.

Is Angel right to be jealous of Buffy's relationship with Spike?

Angel6

Potential
Sineya
I think it’s totally understandable that he would be. Don’t forget he left because he wanted her to have the opportunity for a more normal life that he couldn’t give her, so for her to then get with someone else so similar to him.... he also had no idea Spike had a soul etc etc, the whole thing gives him a bit of an identity crisis. He feels like Spike is stealing his whole identity.

Personally I would LOVE to have seen Angel and Spike grow past this awkwardness and form a really supportive brotherhood (with the occasional bickering.)

LemonBanana

Glorious Purpose
Sineya
I think he has every right to be! As @Angel6 said, he wanted Buffy to have a normal life and she found another vamp! Not to mention, her and Spike were enemies back in the day and Spike had also done horrible things in the past. To be honest, I think Angel would be jealous of any other man Buffy is in a relationship with as he still loves her dearly and doesn’t want anyone else to break her heart.

I don't think it's right. Jealousy is a negative emotion and you are never at your best when you're feeling it. Also it's an emotion that is entirely about someone else, and your feelings about them are your problem not theirs. So - Angel made his own decision to leave so Buffy could have a normal life, she didn't ask him to, she didn't want him to - he doesn't get to decide, years down the line, that she is somehow putting him out because she hasn't followed his plan for her.

However, it is a perfectly natural emotion that everyone feels at some point and doesn't make a person a bad person because they feel it. Angel isn't 'right' to feel jealous about Spike, but it's perfectly normal and understandable for him to be so. Of course getting pissy about it isn't his brightest most shining moment of glory but again ... everyone can be a d*ck sometimes.

white avenger

white avenger

There are two possible answers here, depending on how the question is interpreted.

"Is Angel right to be jealous?"

Most likely, yes. He had been jealous of Riley, so any pretense of "wanting a normal life" for Buffy, something that Riley could have given her, within the limits of her duties and activities doesn't really hold water. If he was jealous of Riley, a human, certainly he would be jealous of Spike, not only because of his relationship with Buffy, but because Spike had a soul with no "moment of perfect happiness" clause attached to it. Buffy could actually have a relationship with Spike, with no danger of waking up some morning with a monster. As of Season 7, no Slayer had ever managed to see her 25th birthday, so any sort of normal life with anyone, human, vampire, or green Martian would have been impossible, and no one was more aware of that than Angel.

"Does Angel HAVE THE RIGHT to be jealous?"

Absolutely not. By leaving Sunnydale, for the reasons that he gave, he relinquished all rights to be anything more to Buffy than a good friend. He gave up any right of considering her "his girl" from that moment on. Regardless of what he might have wished for her after that point, her life was hers, and hers alone, to live, however she chose to live it, whether with the aforementioned vampire, human, or green Martian.

FaithLehane16

"Tact is not saying true stuff. I'll pass."
I would say yes and no. No, because he is clearly the better guy for Buffy, and Buffy never stopped loving him. He has nothing to worry about in that aspect. Yes, because Spike got the chance to boink her several times.

the whole thing gives him a bit of an identity crisis. He feels like Spike is stealing his whole identity.
He had that in Season 5 of his show.

Last edited:

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
No, Angel isn't right to be jealous of Spike and Buffy's relationship.
Nor had he any reason to be. Angel may've been wrong in S10 but he right in S3.

Cheese Slices

A Bidet of Evil
No, because he is clearly the better guy for Buffy, and Buffy never stopped loving him. He has nothing to worry about in that aspect.
*Cleans up metaphorical glasses and puts them back on* Nope, still not very clear to me.

Yes, because Spike got the chance to boink her several times.
Ah yes, she has been sullied by Spike's evil parts.

To answer the OP : he has no right to it. He broke up with her years ago and left town. I will not blame him for feeling what he feels as that can't be helped, but his very frequent entitlement towards her is one of his most grating qualities.

Faded90

Scooby
I think it’s understandable that he does. Both shows make it clear throughout that they always love each other, it’s always going to cause some jealousy and that’s fine.

Where he IS wrong is in S5 when he admits he’s having her stalked. Not cool Angel! For all Buffy gets regarded as the child in the relationship with Angel having to apparently be the mature one who needs to tell her off for being a naughty girl post S1 Buffy never once intrudes on his life, makes judgements or goes out of her way to find out what’s happening in his life so for him to stalk her across the world rankles. I love Bangel, it’s my favourite ‘canon’ ship but there is definitely a ‘you can see me but I can’t see you ‘ thing to post BTVS Bangel that always seems unfair

edit -oops just realised I’d already commented on this thread 😂

Btvs fan

Scooby
I would say yes and no. No, because he is clearly the better guy for Buffy, and Buffy never stopped loving him. He has nothing to worry about in that aspect. Yes, because Spike got the chance to boink her several times.

He had that in Season 5 of his show.

No having someone stalk your ex like he admits in S5 does not make him a better guy

Antho

Scooby
If Buffy would Know about Angel and Cordelia she would be jealous too. That’s completely normal for me. Two people when they broke up, if they loved each other, and if they see their ex with someone else they are jealous.. for me it’s a human reaction. No one has the right to be but I would say 95% people are...unless you meet your ex with someone else like 3years later and you had the time to move on and buried every feelings you had... and even like that I’m not sure it would do nothing to you. Honestly I think in Angel’s case I would have the same reaction. I don’t think he is right but I can’t reproach him either.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
I don't think it's consistently written, but I think it's implied that Buffy and Angel's current separation is temporary. Like, the best comparison is one of those High school couples that are going to different colleges, and have agreed to an open relationship. Because love is a precious, fragile thing, but idiot boomer parents have spent their entire life lecturing them that high school relationships are a waste of time, and college is "a time of personal discovery." They also are strongly suggested to have a destiny together, which may leave them unable to move on. For every time Angel gets jealous... Buffy was mad at Faith in that one episode, describing her with language that clearly wasn't spoken by a middle aged heterosexual man. So like most things in life, it's complicated, in others, Joss had different ideas for the characters than the the post Joss writing staff did.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
I was under the impression that the ATF comic series showed Buffy had spies in LA to watch Angel. It was before Facebook, after all.

T
thrasherpix
I'm under the strong impression that all the post-show comics were ghost written (some ghost writers never even having watched the show) with virtually no involvement of Joss save when he had to save the cash cow that he and others profited from.
I was under the impression that the ATF comic series showed Buffy had spies in LA to watch Angel. It was before Facebook, after all.
Any defence of problems in the show or characters behaviour in the show that starts with 'in the comics' is doomed before it starts. The show is hard canon. The comics are an attempt to put right the problems they wrote into the show after the fact. But that's cheating.

Buffy did not have spies in L.A - the comics invent that to make Angel having spies on her less of a problem. But the show has to stand alone - its problems cannot be sorted in a different medium, years afterwards and in a manner that most people watching the show won't even bother with.

Faded90

Scooby
Any defence of problems in the show or characters behaviour in the show that starts with 'in the comics' is doomed before it starts. The show is hard canon. The comics are an attempt to put right the problems they wrote into the show after the fact. But that's cheating.

Buffy did not have spies in L.A - the comics invent that to make Angel having spies on her less of a problem. But the show has to stand alone - its problems cannot be sorted in a different medium, years afterwards and in a manner that most people watching the show won't even bother with.
I agree, just like Amy wasn’t hiding in a bush in Villains and just like The Mayor didn’t survive the school blowing up. Buffy never once post S1 of Angel even tried to find out what was going on in Angel’s life. There was no reason she suddenly would now she was on the other side of the world

Myheadsgonenumb
Myheadsgonenumb
Right! Willow disappeared Warren's body! even if Amy was lurking in a bush (why would she be?) Warren was no longer there for her to resurrect.

r2dh2

Never go for the kill when you can go for the pain
I am of the opinion that a person has a right to have any feelings. It’s not something that you can rationally control or switch on/off. A different thing is thinking that you have the right to act on those feelings. I’m not sure if the OP is referring to BtVS S7 or AtS S5 (which I haven’t watched yet). If it’s about BtVS S7, I have no problem with Angel feeling jealous. Their relationship had been complicated since his departure and he wasn’t expecting those news when he arrived -- in fact, he was expecting to be the champion and save the day. Buffy also called him out properly and sent him back home.

Top Bottom