• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Is California over?

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
from reason

For well over a century, California was synonymous with the American dream. By the early 1960s, it had become the most populous state in the country. Now its population is declining for the first time in recorded history. The reasons behind California's decline aren't hard to fathom.

California ranks 8th in combined state and local tax burdens, forcing residents to kick in an effective rate of 11.5 percent of their income just for being alive. What do they get in return? Public schools that rank 37th in the country, insanely expensive housing, rolling blackouts, and power shortages. An above-average violent crime rate and the nation's highest poverty rate.

Gov. Gavin Newsom faces a recall election in the fall partly due to his hypocrisy regarding his own stringent lockdown rules. Rather than grapple with his state's sinking status, he has chosen instead to deny reality.

As California loses a congressional seat, Texas is picking up two; demographers predict it may become the most populous state by 2045. Texas may not have the beaches, the forests, the celebrities, or the glamour. It'll just have the jobs, the companies, the forward momentum, and the people.

California, for as long as I can remember, was the 'dream' state where every person searching for something fled to. It was also a political powerhouse. Though it seems now it's a powderkeg. To the board residents, is California dying? Or is it just smoke but no fire?

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

God King of the Primordium
Black Thorn
California is a nightmare. Just...the worst. If I had the money, I'd get the hell out of here as soon as possible. Or, I'd buy a secluded house in Topanga Canyon....and not have to deal with these idiots. Get stuff from Amazon all the time, and rarely venture out.

It was actually A LOT better during the lockdown. A loner's dream!!

Ethan Reigns
Ethan Reigns
There was a Top of Topanga trailer park the last time I was there. Might not be a bad idea.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
I'd get the hell out of here as soon as possible. Or, I'd buy a secluded house in Topanga Canyon
Seeing how Topanga Canyon is in California then is it not a California issue but certain cities? Are LA and San Francisco ruining it for the state, or is it more widespread than those?

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

God King of the Primordium
Black Thorn
Seeing how Topanga Canyon is in California then is it not a California issue but certain cities? Are LA and San Francisco ruining it for the state, or is it more widespread than those?
Yes, its basically LA and San Francisco. I'd be all for nuking them if I weren't here.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Clearly the writer of this article hasn't seen a map of Texas ;)
Texas does not, by any stretch of imagination, have the beaches that California has. Oh my. I don't think ANY state has the beaches they have. Oh my. Just shaking my head. I know you're all landlocked and what not, you don't have to act like it, red.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
fixed it for you ;)
They aren't talking about the number of beaches but the quality. The type of beaches. It's common vernacular the way it was worded. Texas doesn't have the beaches California has.

edit: the same is oft said about views. Oh, thats a great apartment, but it doesn't have the view. Things like that.

Last edited:

Stake fodder

Soulless
From the graphic, I thought the story was going to be about California eventually dropping into the sea! Well, New York state lost its place as most populous years ago, and yet it seems to soldier on.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
@Spanky @HowiMetdaSlayer I thought beaches had to be by the sea to be classed as beaches otherwise swathes of sandy land is just classed as desert? California just doesn't have the desert that Texas has nor the tornadoes, and I don't think Texas has the earthquakes that California has.

AnthonyCordova

modulating between criticism and reconstruction
Sineya
We have a lot of people here in the Denver metro area of people who have moved from California. The refrain is the same: too much traffic, too expensive, too much crime.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
Really, who cares, many countries claim they are going to help protect the world from climate change and have stated 2050 as the year nought per cent emissions are the target. Well they should have a look at the worlds climate changes right now. 2050 will need to be 2040 at least, as Texas is near the middle of America it'll be one of the few states not under water by 2040. To answer that guy there is going to be beaches on the eastern and western coasts of Texas.

Any news on the wall between America and Canada?

And if anyone thinks I'm being serious - - tee hee!

Last edited:

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
I have been on the ground in 25 of the 50 US states and I know California and Texas quite well. California has massive fires, drought and earthquakes that Texas doesn't have. Most Texas towns are either bustling cities or redneck towns but nothing as seedy as Hollywood. Texas gets hurricanes but nowhere near the damage you can get in California. California weather was sufficiently good that the movie industry decided to stay there because there were few days that were anything but sunny. California has enough water for 25 million people - the trouble is, 38 million people live there. The city of Ontario is named after the surveyors and civil engineers from Toronto led by Casimir Gzowski to build the aqueducts that serve the Los Angeles basin - but they started this in 1885 when the prospect of 38 million people was unthinkable. Land and housing is extremely expensive for what you get in CA.

The political climate is what is driving people out of California. Draconian laws about cars and guns don't sit well with a lot of people. Texas is a bit more free-wheeling about such things. A lot of Silicon Valley has moved to Texas and Idaho, where if you are not at the beach, the quality of life is better.

Reactions: Ann
Top Bottom