• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Is Cordelia likable on Buffy?

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
I really like Cordelia, she's becoming one of my favourite Buffy characters, her and Xander have gone up in my favourites. I think Homecoming is a really good episode for her, showing that although she wants people to think of her as popular, that's not all she's about.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
I really like Cordelia, she's becoming one of my favourite Buffy characters,
Agreed. She was one of the few Buffy characters that I like when it aired and still like now. Maybe because she was only around for 3 seasons.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Yeah, I liked her overall, especially the latter half of S2 and early S3 she gets some good material, keeping the Scoobie angst stuff from being too overwrought.

But...not always- her 'return to form' for a lot of S3, whilst understandable, was also frustrating at times. I think overall I like Cander and its influence on her. I did not like the fluke-kiss. Boo.

LilyAnne

I do doodle. You too, you do doodle too.
(*watching "Welcome to the Hellmouth" with my sister for the first time*)
Me - "I love Cordelia."
(*Cordelia insults Willow's outfit*)
Sister - "Okay, I hate Cordelia."

I always liked Cordelia. Even from the first episode of Buffy, I liked her. Obviously I was not endeared to her character, because at that point there is little endearing about her. But I really, especially, enjoyed Charisma Carpenter's performance. There was an... unconventional or unpredictable quality to her line deliveries that I found incredibly enjoyable. She was often given some of the funniest lines to me, but I also think she grows in a great way over the course of her three years there. I like almost everything about her Buffy trajectory (except for "Amends" and maybe one other episode, :confused:). All things considered, I think I might actually like like her time on Buffy more than her time on Angel overall, because the character assassination that ultimately occurs is just terrrrrrrible and super not worth it. I don't understand why they did that. I do cherish "You're Welcome", though, and am grateful that it exists.

Taake
Taake
You should never have said you love her, that's like ASKING your sister to hate her. :P

TarasBoyfriend

Unwilling disciple of Eyghon
Sineya
She seemed rude for the most part on Buffy. I liked her relationship with Xander but, other than that, I found her to be very unpleasant until Angel. Then, she seemed to grow as a person (as Angel sarcastically states ;)).

Cohen

Warrior
I feel like I would have been her friend in high school. Not best friend. But I appreciate her unapologetic attitude. And I liked her climb back during season 3. I also think losing her money began her growth progression that we saw on AtS. I liked her in angel up until they yo-yo’d her in the middle to end of the season. Pretty much after Birthday, though part of me feels Jasmine had begun creeping into her when she was “fixed” with her “demon” powers (which never made sense because Doyle was HALF DEMON and the visions still gave him the killer headaches, but let’s just pretend we don’t know that Joss!). Anyway after she was “fixed” her character was completely gutted until “You’re Welcome,” which would have been an awesome open door arc for her that fell through because Joss is an ass.

fauxindigo

Scooby
My first Cordy episode was 'City Of', so to me, she was always likable as the lead female on Angel. It was just funny to get to go back and devour BtVS seasons 1-3 & see Cordys bitchy roots. I don't know how much of it has to do with the way Charisma embodies her, but I just love Cordelia; even when she's being a bitca, I love to hate her.

She was obviously most likable in Bewitched Bothered & Bewildered when she finally told off Harmony. And I loved how she became a legitimate part of the Scooby gang and got with Xander. I will forever love their chemistry because it was so fun to watch; an extension of the love to hate Cordelia when she's being mean, even though Cordy/Xander really didn't feel right ultimately, they were so fun to watch together. Especially mid Season2-mid Season 3. Remember when Xander hosed Cordy down in What's my Line? to get the bug guys bugs off of her?! *hilarious*!

WLhose1.jpg

Taake

Something Wicked This Way Comes
Staff member
Black Thorn
Remember when Xander hosed Cordy down in What's my Line? to get the bug guys bugs off of her?! *hilarious*!

View attachment 11348
*squirms* I get a bit sick to my stomach whenever I think of that scene. I hear you Cordy, I think I need Xander to hose me off to!

fauxindigo
fauxindigo
lol I still find it hilarious... in a gross kind of way.

sosa lola

Scooby
Cordelia was AMAZING on BtVS! I love her so much, especially the spark between her and Xander. They were a fun couple and balanced each other well.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Yeah I thought she was generally likeable on both shows. Think on Buffy she was entertaining with her bitchy comments, but also showed a very human and sensitive side. There were moments when Cordy stepped out of the line, but you can say that about all the characters. Beauty of both shows is that pretty much all the core characters are well rounded characters with flaws and likeable qualities.

Scooby Corps

Fly! Be free, little bird, you defy category!
I like her best in BtVS S02 and AtS S01. Very flawed, self-centered, bitch-y, blunt, vulnerable, heroic, complex, funny. A layered, developing human character. Overall she's very likable to me from beginning until the end of AtS S02 with some alowances to around mid S03; before the blind Angel adulation, exceptional Champions elitism, and glowy saint mary sue crap began. S04 thankfully tried to subvert her S03 story but was overall too much of a writing mess to rehabilitate her character to something relatable human. Still, she rocks in the preceding seasons on both shows.

NeddaSai

Potential
She was fine on Buffy, but my favorite seasons for her were Angel S1&2.. still snarky and bitchy but with layers of warmth and concern. Didn't like what they did to her after that ..

Joan the Vampire Slayer

Carpe Spuffy!
I'm not sure the intention was to make her likeable. She was intended to be Buffy's foil, to show us what Buffy would be without her friends and family.

spikenbuffy

"You have superpowers,that's so cool,can you fly?"
I like Cordelia but not that much, I don't like her being shallow and when she treats people badly like Willow & Buffy in High School (she blames her for Xander in S3) but she 's not that bad. She is funny sometimes & she has sweet moments (OOMOOS, Homecoming, BBB, Helpless) she became more likable in ATS than BTVS for me, I like her relationships with AI.

Top Bottom